Galaxy S II Android Development

Tip us?

pulser_g2
Old
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBishopOfSoho View Post
OK, I dont agree with the splitting of the forums, but its not my decision and will go along with it. One thing that does really annoy me and needs to be fixed is that this new forum doesnt show up on the android app. Can that be fixed? I like keeping up with a few roms here and am usually on the move.
This happens for any new forum added.

You would need to refresh it. Sometimes it's necessary to log out and back in again.

Having trouble getting an answer? | What is XDA about? | How to ask for help?

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

BTC: 1K2fpDsRHkirWmk3PKiqtzhVHKUJCWPWnN
PGP: 0x260F4FDEF258E3C4
The Following User Says Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bazzio
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANDANA View Post
That's grand, we don't have derivated roms anymore, we have originals and others (stolen, fakes, not so cool). I like the way mods are listening...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Exactly my thoughts...What's so different about the new index

What i have said in the closed topic and many others have said; better make categories like ROMS, MODS, KERNELS..etc. It's tidy and you don't piss anybody off. Quitting devs (what already happened) is the last thing the users want.

crs87
Old
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
I like the idea. Original ROM developers deserve their own place! It also started to be total ROM invasion, this makes it easier to find what you are looking for.

TheBishopOfSoho
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crs87 View Post
I like the idea. Original ROM developers deserve their own place! It also started to be total ROM invasion, this makes it easier to find what you are looking for.
Most of them arent original ROM's though. They are derived out of stock roms. I think the definition that the mods are using here should be clarified.

Some roms have custom kernels that have been rebuilt from source, but still the majority all derive from stock roms (And is indicated in that they are KG1/2, KF1, KF2 etc)

I would have thought that examples of "original" roms in the truest sense of the word would be MIUI and CM7.

mynameisjon
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBishopOfSoho View Post
Most of them arent original ROM's though. They are derived out of stock roms. I think the definition that the mods are using here should be clarified.

Some roms have custom kernels that have been rebuilt from source, but still the majority all derive from stock roms (And is indicated in that they are KG1/2, KF1, KF2 etc)

I would have thought that examples of "original" roms in the truest sense of the word would be MIUI and CM7.
Lets face if. If a dev doesn't have "recognised", that dev is just gonna be thrown into this "derivative" forum.

I have't seen any ROM in the so called "original" forum that even comes close to being an original ROM apart from CM and MIUI. They're all the same rehash of Samsung's stock with CF's Kernel (but they "rebuilt" it from source oh wow) and some battery mod here and then, then deodexed and have the "better battery life included" tag thrown in to entice users.

Same s**t different name but it still smells the same.

This re-organization is just an excuse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mynameisjon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yousif666
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjon View Post
Lets face if. If a dev doesn't have "recognised", that dev is just gonna be thrown into this "derivative" forum.

I have't seen any ROM in the so called "original" forum that even comes close to being an original ROM apart from CM and MIUI. They're all the same rehash of Samsung's stock with CF's Kernel (but they "rebuilt" it from source oh wow) and some battery mod here and then, then deodexed and have the "better battery life included" tag thrown in to entice users.

Same s**t different name but it still smells the same.

This re-organization is just an excuse.
+1

I agree with u.

rajid187
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I don't see how having two dev forums can possibly benefit us members, whatever their titles! It just means that now I've got two lists of threads to look through not one.

criskelo
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4877

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Sarcasm View Post
I must admit, the way the mods have chosen to separate the two development sections doesn't sit well with me at all. The criteria for which section a ROM goes in to is very subjective and open to various interpretations, all of which are prone to the moderator's possible bias.

Strictly speaking, only one or two ROMs are 'original development' and belong in that section. All the others are derivatives in some way or another.

A better way to clean up the dev forum would be to have a couple of sub-sections; perhaps one for all ROMs (regardless of source), one for kernels and related modifications and another for android-specific modifications. Then, be strict about enforcing the sub-section criteria. Also, ask ROM chefs to state in their OP whether the ROM is based on another ROM and to credit the original developer/chef.

Everything else goes in Themes & Apps.

Also, having a mandatory format for thread titles (a la the HD2 forum) is an excellent way to keep things tidy and ensure that people know when a new release has been posted and what the releases are based upon. It worked over in HD2 rather well I thought. After coming from an HD2 to the S2, I thought that the S2 forums were a little untidy to say the least.

Ok, serious mode off, back to my usual sarcastic self.

+1

If you like this rom, supports our site with your registration

tbong777
Old
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by crs87 View Post
A vote here for liking the idea. Although its clear ALL ROMS came from Samsung. Some developers start with SAMSUNG STOCK and build from it. Some developers have been around along time and will likely stick around while others may release a couple variations and leave.The long term recognized developers in my opinion should have their own place to release their wares. Some even have their own Websites and forums.

There should be a clear delineation between those developers and those who take one of THOSE builds and customize it for the first time.

For example as a user of DG's ROMS from stock builds I can follow his work and others who build from Samsung stock in one thread and then see what others are creating from those stock builds in a separate thread.

It can get rather confusing because there are so many ROMS. Those who have been around awhile know who the "trusted" long term developers are and stick with them.

When I was new to this last year on the Captivate I looked for the threads with the most posts and views and those developers who had the most followers were those I deemed trustworthy as I did not know enough to even get out of a minor soft brick.

When I got my SGS2 I did the same and discovered only three developers I thought would be a good place to start. Nevertheless I started my flashing Odyssey with a DG ROM because of his work on the Captivate. When I completely understand the differences between the branded Captivate and unbranded unlocked SGS 2 i9000, I will venture out and try more ROMS. But I will still look for original ROM builders and having a thread for them is helpful.

Kernels should have their own thread as well and developers in both threads should give credit to the developing kernel source. (other than Samsung)and state what they may or may not have changed.
SMART PHONE TEST
ATT since before Cingular
Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100

Omega v26 XXUENC3 Android 4.3

Kernel: Stock
64GB SanDisk Class 10

Galaxy Tab 3 8
Previous - N82,N95-2,N95-4, N97 iPhone 3GS, Captivate, SGSII i9100, Note N7000,Tab 2 7 P3100, Nexus 7
Tombo7777 -Ebay

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1220

DONATE TO ME
No one has ever said (at least no one important) that the mere fact that a rom is based on stock does not make it original.

Original roms are roms that offer something different from the others

Take VillainRom for example, was the first custom rom for the SGS2, the first deodexed rom... and it continues to offer something unique in VillainRom Tweaks, many of the tweaks which were made by users and team members of VillainRom (and has it's own kernel on the way thanks to Ninpo). This is why this is considered an original rom.

No rom in the other section has this, the way they have tried to look "original" is by adding a new theme...font...whatever in some cases it is just simply adding some apps you can download from the market for free anyway... these just clutter the real development work making real important threads harder to find (and lets face it the search feature on xda is largely useless).

Now I will leave you with this question.

If all you people complaining about the switch are correct, how come no "devs" in this "subsection" have complained ey? why is it just the users of these so called "lesser roms"?

Grow up
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

HTC One
How to flash a firmware.zip? Thanks Makbil
How to find your product type i.e. M7_U or M7_UL?
Why has my files moved from /data/media to /data/media/0/?
UID Error? - Delete the Quadrant directory from /data/data and/or check /data/system/uiderrors.txt

Mods
Camera v5.1.620655 for Modaco.SWITCH - https://copy.com/VD4qKYFHM6F0
Fix for Google+ Locations Grey Map Issue

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lennyuk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe