Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[HOWTO][exFAT][WORK IN PROGRESS] Mount exFAT formatted drives and cards

OP smitna

2nd February 2012, 04:25 PM   |  #11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
OK, I must have misunderstood. So is it just that vold will not allow us to automatically mount ext* partitions? I'll try it with a script as soon as I can get some time. Thanks.
26th March 2012, 03:13 AM   |  #12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 141
 
544 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
I would like to try this, for use connecting my camera which has a exfat formatted sdxc card in it via OTG. But have a couple questions since I can't test at this moment.

1: Do the binaries work on a ICS build (Siyah Kernel) or do they need updated?
2: Do I have to make any vold.fstab changes to prevent FS damage when using a OTG cable or is that just external sd?
3: If I have to make the changes will other devices (not memory) work normal without manual interaction?
26th March 2012, 10:55 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
161 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofdarkness

I would like to try this, for use connecting my camera which has a exfat formatted sdxc card in it via OTG. But have a couple questions since I can't test at this moment.

1: Do the binaries work on a ICS build (Siyah Kernel) or do they need updated?
2: Do I have to make any vold.fstab changes to prevent FS damage when using a OTG cable or is that just external sd?
3: If I have to make the changes will other devices (not memory) work normal without manual interaction?

Hello, I am still on GB, but I guess it should work on ICS too.
If ICS (or better the vold daemon) has not changed its behavior you have to modify vold.fstab to prevent damages. To do this, you have to disable automounting the exfat OTG device (commenting out the part for OTG and reboot). The other partitions (internal and external memory should work like before). Then mount your camera card manually. But be very careful with your data/pictures!
27th May 2012, 09:20 PM   |  #14  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Hello, I'm working on an HTC Mazaa with Windows Phone and inside a partition I've found several times the EXFAT header, so I'm trying to mount it, but looks like it's EXFAT 2.0, while your implementation covers only 1.0.

Do you know if it's somehow possible to mount EXFAT 2.0? On Windows, on Linux, modifying your tool, whatever!

Here's the header:

Code:
012f7400  eb 76 90 45 58 46 41 54  20 20 20 00 00 00 00 00  |.v.EXFAT   .....|
012f7410  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
012f7440  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 1b 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
012f7450  20 00 00 00 36 00 00 00  8c 00 00 00 74 1a 00 00  | ...6.......t...|
012f7460  02 00 00 00 94 01 eb 07  00 02 10 00 09 00 02 80  |................|
012f7470  ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
012f7480  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
012f75f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|
012f7600  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
012f77f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|
012f7800

Thanks!
Last edited by WhiteTrap; 27th May 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added exfat header
28th May 2012, 03:47 PM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
161 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrap

Hello, I'm working on an HTC Mazaa with Windows Phone and inside a partition I've found several times the EXFAT header, so I'm trying to mount it, but looks like it's EXFAT 2.0, while your implementation covers only 1.0.

Do you know if it's somehow possible to mount EXFAT 2.0? On Windows, on Linux, modifying your tool, whatever!

Here's the header:

Code:
012f7400  eb 76 90 45 58 46 41 54  20 20 20 00 00 00 00 00  |.v.EXFAT   .....|
012f7410  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
012f7440  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 1b 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
012f7450  20 00 00 00 36 00 00 00  8c 00 00 00 74 1a 00 00  | ...6.......t...|
012f7460  02 00 00 00 94 01 eb 07  00 02 10 00 09 00 02 80  |................|
012f7470  ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
012f7480  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
012f75f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|
012f7600  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
*
012f77f0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa  |..............U.|
012f7800

Thanks!

I don't think that I can give you a good answer, sorry. It's not my tool, it's the exFAT driver from http://code.google.com/p/exfat/, the latest is fuse-exfat-0.9.7.tar.gz and I don't see any notes for a "version 2" in the ChangeLog. Are you really sure about the version? If there is a version 2, I guess it's more than only a change to the header.
I recommend you to post the question in the mailing list https://groups.google.com/group/exfat?hl=en. It is rumored that exFAT works natively on the new S3, but I don't know if this will be true and I have strong doubts that Samsung will release the sources of the driver.
28th May 2012, 03:53 PM   |  #16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitna

I don't think that I can give you a good answer, sorry. It's not my tool, it's the exFAT driver from http://code.google.com/p/exfat/, the latest is fuse-exfat-0.9.7.tar.gz and I don't see any notes for a "version 2" in the ChangeLog. Are you really sure about the version? If there is a version 2, I guess it's more than only a change to the header.
I recommend you to post the question in the mailing list https://groups.google.com/group/exfat?hl=en. It is rumored that exFAT works natively on the new S3, but I don't know if this will be true and I have strong doubts that Samsung will release the sources of the driver.

It's fuse-exfat itself that says the version is 2.0. I'll try on the ML, but looks like there are big differences. If I make fuse-exfat ignore the fact that it's 2.0 it says that there are 2 FAT, which I think non-banal modifications to the implementation.

Thanks!
28th May 2012, 09:34 PM   |  #17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Seems that exFAT 2.0 is (or is very similar to) TexFAT.
1st July 2012, 09:08 AM   |  #18  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 141
 
544 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
I just wanted to say thanks I just tested this and the binaries works great on ICS 4.0.3 (LPG) using Siyah Kernel.

I plugged in my Panasonic Lumix TS2 digital camera with a 64GB sdxc card and was able to mount it fine on my S II with a OTG cable.
2nd July 2012, 11:34 PM   |  #19  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
161 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofdarkness

I just wanted to say thanks I just tested this and the binaries works great on ICS 4.0.3 (LPG) using Siyah Kernel.

I plugged in my Panasonic Lumix TS2 digital camera with a 64GB sdxc card and was able to mount it fine on my S II with a OTG cable.

Fine and thanks for sharing your experience! It's good to hear that the driver is useful for you.
20th July 2012, 11:47 PM   |  #20  
omar300's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 48
 
235 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
I have galaxy s3 and the 64 gb exfat formatted card works on the stock rom of it.
But when i switch to custom rom which are not based on galaxy s3 own stock rom the card stops working.
No other rom beside galaxy s3's own come with exfat driver. so i was wondering if i use this in custom rom as for now its Cyanogenmod 10, would this mod of yours work?
please let me know.
thanks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
drive, exfat, mount, sdcard
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes