Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Increase bluetooth A2DP quality (SBC -> MP3)

Tip us?

g40q90
Old
(Last edited by g40q90; 10th September 2011 at 10:17 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Increase bluetooth A2DP quality (SBC -> MP3)

Hello XDA!

Hi have a Galaxy S2, I can found only a bad thing in it: bluetooth audio quality.

I have done some search and I'm sure that GS2 (like most other smartphones) uses SBC codec to send data over bluetooth.

The problem with SBC is that it reconvert your compressed files, such as MP3 or AAC, before sent them over bluetooth, so the final quality is terrible.

You can improve a little the quality increase the bitpool (use an highest bitrate for the conversion) but sound quality will never reach Directly MP3 transfer without conversion, for example connecting an usb stick to your stereo.

But there are a lot of discussion about ad2p sound quality on xda, so I think that you already know that.

I think that create mp3 codec to work with GS2 is hard and difficult, but I have found that Blueplayer for Windows mobile and Motorola with Droid X/ Droid 2 use A2DP Mp3 direct stream, in the specific motorola enabling the option "enhanced stereo" in bluetooth menu (absent in SGS2):

So my question is: is possible to make a port of blueplayer or motorola bluetooth stack for Samsung Galaxy S2? I think this is the only way to improve bad bluetooth audio quality on GS2.

gauner1986
Old
Thanks Meter 478
Acutally it should be as easy as editing a config file.. (/system/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf) like this:

Code:
[A2DP]
SBCSources=0
MPEG12Sources=1

g40q90
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauner1986 View Post
Acutally it should be as easy as editing a config file.. (/system/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf) like this:

Code:
[A2DP]
SBCSources=0
MPEG12Sources=1
thanks for your reply!
I have tried that, but it seems make no difference for me, have you tried it?

Zanr Zij
Old
Thanks Meter 508
With my Plantronic Voyager Pro Plus ( Pro+ ), bluetooth audio quality is quite good ( although only 1 ear ). When change to connect Pro+ with Moto Atrix 4G, I got bad experience.

But with wired good brand/quality 3.5" headphone, Atrix do better in quality
Pass: Bold 9700, 9000, IP 3GS, Milestone, Milestone XT720, i9000, Captivate, X10i, Nook Color, Galaxy S i9000, Atrix 4G, Optimus 2X, Arc S, IP4, S2, Note 1, S3

g40q90
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanr Zij View Post
With my Plantronic Voyager Pro Plus ( Pro+ ), bluetooth audio quality is quite good ( although only 1 ear ). When change to connect Pro+ with Moto Atrix 4G, I got bad experience.

But with wired good brand/quality 3.5" headphone, Atrix do better in quality
Jack audio on galaxy s2 is really bad in my experience, and usb output is only available in mass storage mode... Not really useful. So I'm trying to get better audio quality from bluetooth...there is also car dock from Samsung with 3.5" output, but I think that the final quality is like direct 3.5" output.. Very bad things from Samsung.
The Following User Says Thank You to g40q90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tommo123
Old
Thanks Meter 28
yea i don' get the audio complaints. i'm happy with the sound on my sgs2. used various BT earphones (sony, motorolla, nokia and plantronics and all good)

adioph
Old
Thanks Meter 38
GS2 audio quality via bluetooth is way too far differrent compared to Xperia X8. X8 audio quality via bluetooth is good, while GS2 is not. :(

beppez82
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I'm OK with the quality of the Voyager pro+, but in car I need to increase the vol., there's anyway to increase the conversation volume of the BT headphones?

Sended from my SGS2
If you have found this post helpful please hit the Thanks button.

_Raziel666
Old
Thanks Meter 159
This is a well know problem for SGSII (and probably other Gingerbread-based phones).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=708685

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1187488

Google has fixed the problem in the AOSP builds, but Samsung hasn't integrated that particular fix in the 2.3.4 edition - hopefully it will be integrated in the upcoming 2.3.5 edition...

Zanr Zij
Old
Thanks Meter 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppez82 View Post
I'm OK with the quality of the Voyager pro+, but in car I need to increase the vol., there's anyway to increase the conversation volume of the BT headphones?

Sended from my SGS2

Do in in ServiceMode:

1. Dial on Dialer ( Phone.apk not 3rd Dialer like DialerOne )

*#*#197328640#*#*

2. Select [5]Audio

3. Select [1] NB ( Voice Call )

4. Select [4] Bluetooth

Pass: Bold 9700, 9000, IP 3GS, Milestone, Milestone XT720, i9000, Captivate, X10i, Nook Color, Galaxy S i9000, Atrix 4G, Optimus 2X, Arc S, IP4, S2, Note 1, S3

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zanr Zij For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]