5,604,219 Members 49,445 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Make new Pit with reduced preload to free up nearly another 475mb storage.
Yes! I accept I cannot use dual boot roms! 59 76.62%
No! I don't want an extra half gig of space! 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

[MOD][GUIDE]Partition your internal memory for better App management (Pit Files)

Tip us?

metalgearhathaway
Old
(Last edited by metalgearhathaway; 21st February 2014 at 10:36 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1526
Info 2 [MOD][GUIDE]Partition your internal memory for better App management (Pit Files)

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
UPDATE 21ST FEBRUARY 2014

Preload special editions with preload area reduced from 500mb to about 45mb, the resulting regained space is then allocated to the internal sd partition. Custom roms only! All data partition sizes have been catered for!

Beware #1 - Preload moddified version are NOT suitable for Samsung Stock Roms!

Beware #2 - Pre-Load moddified versions are for custom roms that do not use pre-load area! Please post on the respective thread for your rom and ask the author the question prior to using these versions if you are unsure! (I can tell you that SlimRoms & Cyanfox do not use preload, at present at least)

Beware #3 - If you want to go back to stock rom, you just need to flash my standard edition pit files, easy!

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

Increase your data application partition and set your device free!

Are you bored of having to move apps to SD?

Bored of facing a stock issue of not even being able to move apps to your internal SD?

This thread will help you, currently only for i9100 16gb Model only.
[/COLOR]

GUIDE - The usual rules apply, You will:

IMPORTANT: Please backup all your photos, videos and other important stuff on your PC, in the cloud or somewhere else where it is safe, as all your stuff on your internal SD card will be deleted!

1) Run compatible version of Odin, put your phone in to download mode (vol down/home/power button) and connect to PC via USB

2) Tick re-partition box

3) Click PIT button and select the pit file of your desired app partition size.

4a) Click PDA and select your stock official samsung jellybean rom - Edit- please remember if you use a rom that is not native to your region, it would be wise to flash the appropriate radio modem afterwards to ensure you get the signal strength you'd expect

4b) OR Flash your persnonal choice of kernel in *.tar format and pit file, reboot to CWM ( power button/vol up/home button) and install new rom or restore nandroid and boot as normal and skip to number 9 in this guide

5) Flash and wait for reboot

6) Let the phone reboot and wait until the android chap finishes his spinny wire ball belly animation and then remove the battery and do a factory reset using the usual power/vol up/ home trick.

7) Let it boot so you can check that you are happy with the result. ( I didn't, but you might want to)

8) Now flash your chosen rooted kernel and either stick with stock rom or enter CWM and flash your own custom rom.

9) When your phone boots, you may get a notification to format usb storage, say yes if prompted! If it that fails, connect you phone to your PC and format the the internal sd card manually.

10) Remember that Android likes automatically deciding where apps go, so sometime it tries to put stuff to SD itself (app requests it), it is worthwhile checking your installed apps to makes sure they went to internal app partition, you can tell this by either:

a) Look in Titanium back up, go to the move/integrate section and see if any apps show as moveable from SD to internal, if so run the batch process to put them on your nice new app partition, otherwise you may have issues running those apps.

b) If you don't have Titanium (why not?) then check the harder way by looking at app manager and swipe to the right to look at SD app, sort by size and then individually move ones back to internal storage.

11) That easy! Here is a shot of my resulting app manager

Files attached to post including original pit in case you want it back to stock values!

Enjoy!

Phone: Galaxy S3 i9300 / Rom: crDroid Simple Build 17
Kernel: boeffla-kernel-2.2 / CPU: 1.6Ghz / GPU: 700mhz
Gov: Intelliactive (Heavily Tuned) / IO: sio

Other devices: Nexus 7, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 mini

The Following 171 Users Say Thank You to metalgearhathaway For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Unagi
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
This awesome!
A proud Android enthusiast who loves Classical Music with his Earl Grey in the Morning.

Device: SGS2 I9100
ROM: OmniRom
Kernel: Samething.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unagi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Akalsemann
Old
(Last edited by Akalsemann; 23rd November 2013 at 06:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 77
hey @metalgearhathaway

Thankx for this awesome thread. Will try the guide right now..

Oh also, maybe you should put reboot into download mode as first step

cortex69
Old
Thanks Meter 13
@metalgearhathaway Could you also add pit file that sets whole internal memory for app data, so we could use our fast SD cards as primary memory, please ?

Akalsemann
Old
Thanks Meter 77
*EDIT*

Followed guide and flashed. Everything went awesome! i flashed 16GB_6GB
Thank you very much.

But when i look in task manager, the app storage sure is 6GB(5.9GB) but my internal storage decreased to 8GB(7.91GB)
IS it possible to have 6GB for apps and still have the 16GB (11.5GB) internal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-23-09-39-52.png
Views:	3583
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2409920  

metalgearhathaway
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akalsemann View Post
*EDIT*

Followed guide and flashed. Everything went awesome! i flashed 16GB_6GB
Thank you very much.

But when i look in task manager, the app storage sure is 6GB(5.9GB) but my internal storage decreased to 8GB(7.91GB)
IS it possible to have 6GB for apps and still have the 16GB (11.5GB) internal?
Sadly, our phone has 16gb total internal memory, pit files (partition information table) is how it splits this memory, sadly again our phone uses a app partition and then a pretend internal sd partition. This thread is for increasing the app partition to allow more apps to be easily installed without the need to move them about, as you increase the app partition this then naturally decreases the internal sd partition accordingly, hope that makes sense.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to metalgearhathaway For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metalgearhathaway
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortex69 View Post
@metalgearhathaway Could you also add pit file that sets whole internal memory for app data, so we could use our fast SD cards as primary memory, please ?
I have asked the guy who made these to see if that can be done, I'll let you know if that gets sorted!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalgearhathaway For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metalgearhathaway
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1526
Main post update to cover apps that have auto installed themselves to SD partition or card, please read point 9 in main post, cheers!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to metalgearhathaway For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dorimanx
Old
(Last edited by dorimanx; 23rd November 2013 at 10:47 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 53698

DONATE TO ME
all great, in guide,
i will use the 4gb split for me, but you must say that user should backup all his roms (sec rom also, as samny rom will kill his system) and internal sdcard before any usage.
to his PC.

or you will get posts like, why my files are gone? i blame you for that, you told me its safe, and now i lost my girl naked picks :P

Sent from my GT-I9100
Phone: ★LG Optimus G2 D802
Wife Phone:
★Samsung Galaxy II

KERNEL: Dorimanx-LG-G2-PWR-CORE-VX.X
>LG G2 KERNEL OP<
>LG G2 BETA KERNEL STORAGE<

KERNEL: Dorimanx-SGII-PWR-CORE-V10.XX
>SG2 KERNEL OP<
>SG2 BETA THREAD<
>SG2 BETA STORAGE<
>SG2 Q&A THREAD<

>HTC HD2 KERNEL
>HTC HD2 DORIMANX MAG + CLK NAND ROM!

>JOIN FACEBOOK PAGE!

>ABOUT ME!

>CLICK TO DONATE AND SUPPORT

You can Buy me a BEER! if you like my work.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dorimanx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lolobarjo
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Awesome !!!!
Thank a lot for this mod!