[MODEM] Main modem XX versions flashable through CWM

Search This thread

shr33kant

Nov 3, 2010
Another update: All the other modems listed in the OP give me 0 or 1 bars of standard reception and 3g/H if I'm lucky in certain areas of my house. On 3UK Modded modem I'm getting 1 to 2 bars reception and 3g/H no matter where I am in the house...once again, super thanks for uploading this modem!! <3!

Reactions: Teio

Teio

Sep 27, 2009
London
I'm glad I could help guys... I wasn't expecting that this modem would kick ass on different networks...

I never got H+ before using this modem, now I have it almost everywhere...

EDIT: when samsung officially release KI3 firmware, 3uk might release it to their customers too, and might as well release it with KI3 modified modem, if this happens, I will post here...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Last edited:

bgx

Dec 23, 2010
KI3 seems to had better network for me than KI1! In our sportshome with KI3 I get network! With KI1 network will be lost!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

kai_

Jun 19, 2009
I'm on T-Mobile UK.

Thank you for providing the list of modems. I picked out a few of the more popular ones and started flashing away. I know it can be such a pain to go through testing but really all I care about is internet speed. My simple logic is that the faster or more consistent data speeds are, the better signal/reception should be. Hopefully, I'm not too far wrong.

Anyway, after reading about 3's special modem from testando, it led me to the fact that actually stock modem is the best for me. I've attached it to this post as a CWM flashable modem.

All I did was to flash each modem in turn - and sat in the same spot whilst running the speedtest.net app to measure speeds. I ran the test maybe about 5 times or more and eventually it'd even out and give you some indication which one is better in terms of data speeds.

I'm on stock KI3 (Wanam's Build).

I tested KI3, KI1, KH3, KG5, KG2, NEKF2 and of course stock BOKG1.

Some interesting notes:

NEKF2, the signal/reception strength seems to stronger than all the others - where I was sitting I cannot usually receive more than 2 bars but with this modem I was sitting 95% of the time on 3 bars. The data speeds were consistent but I only managed about 800Kbp/s after a few runs.

The results for KG2 were also very good - I got the maximum allowable rate of around 1,900Kbp/s with upload speeds of 375kbp/s. This was with two bars of reception only (using H+).

The other modems were all shockingly bad - data speeds would just lag around 300 to 500kbp/s. Sometimes it would hang and just not complete the test at all. It was very easy to see the difference in performance after just a few runs.

I hope that this might help anyone else also on the T-Mobile UK network.

Attachments

• T-MobileUK_BOKG1.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 205

skimminstones

I'm on T-Mobile UK.

Thank you for providing the list of modems. I picked out a few of the more popular ones and started flashing away. I know it can be such a pain to go through testing but really all I care about is internet speed. My simple logic is that the faster or more consistent data speeds are, the better signal/reception should be. Hopefully, I'm not too far wrong.

Anyway, after reading about 3's special modem from testando, it led me to the fact that actually stock modem is the best for me. I've attached it to this post as a CWM flashable modem.

All I did was to flash each modem in turn - and sat in the same spot whilst running the speedtest.net app to measure speeds. I ran the test maybe about 5 times or more and eventually it'd even out and give you some indication which one is better in terms of data speeds.

Some interesting notes:

NEKF2, the signal/reception strength seems to stronger than all the others - where I was sitting I cannot usually receive more than 2 bars but with this modem I was sitting 95% of the time on 3 bars. The data speeds were consistent but I only managed about 800Kbp/s after a few runs.

The results for KG2 were also very good - I got the maximum allowable rate of around 1,900Kbp/s with upload speeds of 375kbp/s. This was with two bars of reception only (using H+).

The other modems were all shockingly bad - data speeds would just lag around 300 to 500kbp/s. Sometimes it would hang and just not complete the test at all. It was very easy to see the difference in performance after just a few runs.

im on t-mobile uk too

can i check your post though? you say KG2 was very good but youve uploaded KG1?

is the file youve uploaded the correct one and you meant KG1?

carlos67

Oct 29, 2010
Guys, which modem is best for Orange UK? All the talk is for 3 network and the NEKF2. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for an old, broken down bum on Orange UK? Currently on kh3 and it's ok but I feel it could be better. In my house I get 3g/H 60% of the time and 2g all other times. Running Leomar v2.6

Would the KF2 "3 modded" modem be any good on Orange network?

Teio

Sep 27, 2009
London
Guys, which modem is best for Orange UK? All the talk is for 3 network and the NEKF2. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for an old, broken down bum on Orange UK? Currently on kh3 and it's ok but I feel it could be better. In my house I get 3g/H 60% of the time and 2g all other times. Running Leomar v2.6

Lots of people have tested the 3 modded modem and reported awesome results...

My advice for you: try it... It's easy, fast and secure, worst case scenario would be to reflash another modem...

Try the modded modem first, it seems to be getting good results across UK with different operators...

I would advise you to try stock modem as well... By flashing stock ROM through Kies... As Orange UK could have modified it...

Takes less than 1 minute to flash each modem...

kai_

Jun 19, 2009
im on t-mobile uk too

can i check your post though? you say KG2 was very good but youve uploaded KG1?

is the file youve uploaded the correct one and you meant KG1?

I said that KG2 was 'also very good'. In my tests, I noted that it got around the same speeds as BOKG1, but seemed less consistent which is why I went for BOKG1. I have noticed in another post that there is a a KG3 modem floating around. I haven't tried it just yet but if you happen to be experimenting, your feedback here on which modem you find best for you would also be appreciated.

CekMTL

May 16, 2011
Cork
PreCog.me
In my specific case, modded three modem was absolutely horrible.

Sitting on the VODAFONE Spanish network.
Just info if it can be useful to someone else.
Kg5 works ossom.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

alcurtis93

Oct 31, 2010

Modded kf2 doesnt even allow me to get signal on orange UK

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Daniele150cv

Jul 18, 2011
Hello Man :)
Do you think that the KI1 modem (contained on stock KI4 rom) is better than KI3 modem?
I found contrastant opinions on italian's theads..i would find the thruth! ;-)
Thanks a lot :D

ephumuris

Dec 7, 2008
Hull
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm on T-Mobile UK.

Some interesting notes:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in tmob uk and the phone came with kg2 and was awful. Tried a few others some good and some bad but the best so far is bokg1. It's the only one I can get reliable H signal in my work building with. 2nd best was modded 3uk one but this bokg1 is awesome.

Ephumuris

Teio

Sep 27, 2009
London
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in tmob uk and the phone came with kg2 and was awful. Tried a few others some good and some bad but the best so far is bokg1. It's the only one I can get reliable H signal in my work building with. 2nd best was modded 3uk one but this bokg1 is awesome.

Ephumuris

Will try this tmo modded modem and reported back

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SGS2] Modem Thread (modem guide) (thanks @geko95gek)
    [REF] Modem+RIL CWM Installers (thanks @hawerpaul)

Hi everybody,
    I did a lot of tests with different modem versions in order to see battery usage impact with my current configuration (Touch X v2 + ninphetamine 2.1.3).
    To do those tests easilly and day after day with same situations, I used a CWM script (zip file) to avoid PC / Odin.

Here is those different modem versions with script :
    XXKE4 : HERE
    XXKE7 : HERE
    XXKF2 : HERE
    XXKF3 : HERE (thanks @Alef_0)
    XXKG2 : HERE
    XXKG3 : HERE
    XXKG5 : HERE
    XXKG6 : HERE
    XXKH3 : HERE
    XXKI1 : HERE
    XXKI3 : HERE
    XXKI4 : HERE
    XXKL1 : HERE (thanks @Alef_0)
    XXKP1 : HERE (thanks @shahulvm)
    XXKP4 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
    XXKP8 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
    XXKPA : HERE (thanks @lrbpereira)
    XXLP1 : HERE
    XXLP6 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
    XXLPB : HERE (thanks @freemini)
    XXLPH : HERE (thanks @ql4y3r)
    XXLPJ : HERE (thanks @freemini : credits go entirely to codeworkx)
    XXLPQ : HERE (thanks @Tyrol)
    UHLPE : HERE (thanks @Elisha
    XXLPS : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
    XXLPW : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
    XXLPX : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
    XXLQ5 : HERE
    XXLQ6 : HERE
    UHLPH : HERE (thanks @red.hat)

Korean GS2 M250K-UB23 : HERE (thanks @$wissdroid)

For those who want to backup their modem before any flash, here is a CWM script I just made : HERE

Very quick user guide :
    1/ download zip file and put it onto your internal sdcard
    2/ if you have CWM app installed, you can use "Flash update" and select the zip file. Else reboot in CWM and use "install from zip".
    No wipe needed

Alternate modem : NEKF2 HERE
    Second alternate modem : NEKI2 (same network operator (THREE) released in Italy) HERE (thanks @thanksgiving60 and @s_wind)

Here it is.. I recommend all THREE users to try this modem as it is a MASSIVE improvement from any other modem...

Maybe someone more experienced than me could have a look into the modifications done by THREE to this modem and apply them on other versions...

Attached as a zip package flashable through CWM.

This is NOT the regular KF2 that you can find all over XDA, its extracted from my stock 3UK Rom, its modified by Three to serve their network better, and I can say they have done a good job.

Once again this is NOT the regular KF2 Modem

Latest Orange network provider modems : BVKJ4 : HERE and BVKL1 : HERE and BVLPB :HERE

A related thread on the same subject (@ykk_five) : HERE
    Another related :
    Here is my results in terms of battery usage
    (Fast Dormancy always enable, by the way my provider doesn't manage this mod)

Wake mode, GSM only (neither data, nor wifi, screen-off) :
    KI4 (0.45%) < KG5 et KI3 (0.7%/h) < KG2 (0.8%/h) < KG6 et KI1 (0.9%/h) < KF2 (1%/h) < KH3 (1.25%/h) < KE4 (1.8%/h) < KE7 (1.9%/h) < KG1 (2.25%/h)

Wake mode, GSM + 3G activated (for mails), screen-off :
    KI4 (0.7%) < KG5 et KI1 (1%/h) < KF2 et KG2 et KI3 (1.4%/h) < KG1 (1.7%/h) < KH3 (2%/h) < KG6 (2.3%/h) < KE7 (2.4%/h) < KE4 (3.4%/h)

2G usage (stream radio), screen-off :
    KG5 (9%/h) < KG2 et KI4 (14%/h) < KG6 et KE4 (17%/h) < KG1 (18%/h) < KI1 (19%/h) < KF2 et KH3 (20%/h) < KE7 (22%/h)

3G usage (stream radio), screen-off :
    KG6 (13%/h) < KG5 (14%/h) < KI3 et KI4 (15%/h) < KG2 et KI1 (16%/h) < KE4 et KF2 (18%/h)

Here is performance tests I did those last days (around 200) using versatile speedtest.net (so many possible issues) :

That's right that all modems since KI4 are very good in terms of performance.
    SpeedTest.net is a little bit complicated because we have a lot of infra between our GS2 and the server. So, we can have day after day, test after test, different results.
    My approach is to bench a lot and provide a MIN/AVERAGE/MAX for each modem.
    After that, my choice will be based on average battery usage.

All of this hard work is to provide a single view of what we can expect but, of course, because of so many networks, this is a little bit limited ;)

I think that this post may help someone from my country. I use XXLPS with Vodafone Greece and after testing almost all other modems, I found it the best for signal and 3g.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    Hey Guys

One New Modem is there :)

XXLS6 from new S2 JB Leak:

You can download it here (Attachment)

Enjoy it :)
    @bgn9000

Hi bro, can you please help upload it to the first page...

ICS modem from XXKP1, packaged for XDA :)

Tested and its working fine for me with good download speeds....should work for all as well :D

Tested on XXKK5 ROM...
    NELP3 Modem

Nekf2 this is safe for flashing with ics 4.0.3 stock Rom just checking before i flash i am 3UK

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Any modem is safe to flash on any ROM. :)

NELP3 is out by the way, I'll be posting the CWM zip shortly. Watch this space! :p

EDIT:

Here it is as promised - New NELP3 Modem CWM Flashable ZIP.