5,597,871 Members 38,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] MIUI for Galaxy S II *Discontinued because of official support*

Tip us?

Tijmen
Old
(Last edited by Tijmen; 30th October 2011 at 04:17 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1893
Default [ROM] MIUI for Galaxy S II *Discontinued because of official support*

MIUI

This ROM is a continuation of bmarkoís work, which can be found here, he stopped with developing but his base remains. The weekly updates as brought by miuiandroid.com will be ported to bmarkoís base and released here.

Installation instructions when coming from another ROM:

1. Download the latest release from the downloads section and put it on your internal storage.
  2. Boot into CWM, do this by powering off your phone and hold volume up and the home button while booting again.
  3. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and confirm.
  4. Select "wipe cache partition" and confirm.
  5. Now go to "mounts and storage" select "format /system" and confirm.
  6. Finally go to "advanced" select "wipe Dalvik Cache" and confirm.
  7. Now select "install zip from sd card", "choose zip from sd card", browse to your zip select it and confirm.
  8. Finally "reboot system now" and youíre finished.

Installation instructions when updating MIUI:

1. Download the latest release from the downloads section and put it on your internal storage.
  2. Boot into CWM, do this by powering off your phone and hold volume up and the home button while booting again.
  3. Select install zip from sd card, choose zip from sd card, browse to your zip select it and confirm.
  4. Select "reboot system now" and youíre updated.

Downloads:
Other bugs:

If you are experiencing a bug that is not on this list perform a full wipe and flash the ROM again, if you donít know how to do this; just follow the coming from another ROM instructions. When the problem persists after a flash try to determine what can be causing it. Try to find out if certain apps trigger the problem and if itís there immediately after a reboot. Then you can post your problem with as much details as possible, wait a day before posting your problem again.

Note:

Doing a full wipe causes a loss of data, there are three ways to back up your data. Every option has its benefits, read all three options and decide which one suits your needs.

1. A Nandroid backup, you can do this from CWM under back up and restore. This will create a complete system image, this is mostly used when switching ROM and you want to be able to switch back easily. When you restore this backup everything will be exactly the same as when you backed up, all bugs included.

2. MIUI built in backup, this is mostly used when staying within MIUI. All your settings, apps and contacts will be conserved, except for your mail settings and account passwords, for security reasons. When you restore this you only have to enter your credentials and server settings again, system files are not backed up, so bugs will be gone. Only downside is that only MIUI can restore this, so you can't export it to another ROM.

3. Titanium backup comes in handy when migrating to another ROM. Titanium can back up settings, apps and their data. Titanium backup works on all ROM's so you can back up, flash another ROM and restore your apps and their data. Settings are harder to back up, restoring settings is possible between TouchWiz ROM's, moving them from TouchWiz ROM to MIUI or Cyanogen will give loads of FC's. Same goes for system apps and their data.
The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to Tijmen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tijmen
Old
(Last edited by Tijmen; 28th September 2011 at 09:40 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1893
Q&A

Install and updating
  • How do I install this ROM?
  • The new version is released on miuiandroid.com, where is the Galaxy S II download link?
  • When will the next release be, and when will you fix this?
  • Is OTA updating working?
  • There is a new version released, and I have to wipe /system, what does that mean and what will I lose?
  • I prefer MIUI in: Chinese - German - English - Spanish - Vietnamese - Italian - Hebrew - Russian -Hungarian
    - Dutch - Portugese - Danish - Turkish - Polish - Koeran - French - Greek - Czech - Slovenian.
Known bugs and their fixes
  • When will the next release be, and when will you fix this?
  • When will Bluetooth audio be fixed? I really need it!
  • I got an inexplicable bug, and the guys in the thread told me to do a complete wipe, what is this? And what will I lose?
  • The back light of the soft key goes on and off, seemingly random, what can I do about this?
  • My GPS takes ages to acquire a lock, and/or is far from accurate.
  • The audio through my headphones wonít go any louder after four clicks.
  • I can't access my internal storage through USB.
  • When I reboot my phone data is turned off automatically.
  • No matter what the size is, the market tells me the file needs to be downloaded over wifi.
  • My phone doesn't go into deepsleep.
Multimedia
  • I can't play music from my external SD card.
  • I donít like the MIUI camera app, what are the alternatives?
  • Video play is out of sync, or stutters.
  • Sounds good, but what does it look like?
Customization
  • Are there mods I canít miss out on?
  • And how about the themes?
  • Where are the old ringtones? The new ones are horrible!
  • Where are the custom kernels? I want to use my 1337 overclock skills!

Quote:
Installing and Updating
Q:How do I install this ROM?

A:Start off with a rooted phone.

1. Download and pust the ROM .zip file to the sdcard.
  2. Reboot into recovery.
  3. When installing for the first time wipe /system, /cache, /data and dalvik-cache
  4. Wipe /system. (under mounts & storage)
  5. Install the ROM zip from sdcard.

Q:The new version is released on miuiandroid.com, where is the Galaxy S II download link?

A:Our device is not yet officially supported, therefore bmarko has to download the official release, do his magic, and release it for the S II. He does not only have to wait until itís released by miuiandroid.com but afterwards also has to find time to modify and upload the new version. This takes some time, but normally he uploads within two, maybe three, days.

Q:When will the next release be, and when will you fix this?

A:There is only one rule in this thread:
DONíT ASK FOR ETAíS

For clarityís sake: ETA means estimated time of arrival.

Q:Is OTA updating working?

A:No, because itís not yet an official release. Trying it should give an error message, or may download a release for another phone. I would suggest not using it at all.

Q:There is a new version released, and I have to wipe /system, what does that mean and what will I lose?

A:/system is the folder that contains all system files, when upgrading all system files are replaced so all old files have to be deleted. But all your personal files are in the /data folder. That means that you don't lose anything personal when upgrading, all your apps will be kept too. Certain mods, such as extended settings and my gps.conf files are in system though, so you'll have to reinstall them again.

Q:I prefer MIUI in: Chinese - German - English - Spanish - Vietnamese - Italian - Hebrew - Russian -Hungarian
- Dutch - Portugese - Danish - Turkish - Polish - Koeran - French - Greek - Czech - Slovenian.

A:L10nH34Rt has ported El Afortunado's multi-language pack.

There is being worked on updates...

Make sure to boot once before flashing the .zips.

Credits to both L10nH34Rt and El Afortunado.
Quote:
Known bugs and their fixes
Q:When will the next release be, and when will you fix this?

A:There is only one rule in this thread:
DONíT ASK FOR ETAíS
For clarityís sake: ETA means estimated time of arrival.

Q:When will Bluetooth audio be fixed? I really need it!

A:Above applies more than anything to Bluetooth Audio.

Q:I got an inexplicable bug, and the guys in the thread told me to do a complete wipe, what is this? And what will I lose?

A:A complete wipe consists of a wipe of /system /data /cache and dalvik-cache. This means that everything, except for the internal storage, is deleted. If you want to easily restore your contacts, settings and apps you will have to backup your phone. There are three common ways to do this:

1. A Nandroid backup, you can do this from CWM under back up and restore. This will create a complete system image, this is mostly used when switching ROM and you want to be able to switch back easily. When you restore this backup everything will be exactly the same as when you backed up, all bugs included.

2. MIUI built in backup, this is mostly used when you have to wipe your phone because of a bug. All your settings, apps and contacts will be conserved, except for your mail settings and account passwords, for security reasons. When you restore this you only have to enter your credentials and server settings again, system files are not backed up, so bugs will be gone. Only downside is that only MIUI can restore this, so you can't export it to another ROM.

3. Titanium backup comes in handy when migrating to another ROM. Titanium can back up settings, apps and their data. Titanium backup works on all ROM's so you can back up, flash another ROM and restore your apps and their data. Settings are harder to back up, restoring settings is possible between TouchWiz ROM's, moving them from TouchWiz ROM to MIUI or Cyanogen will give loads of FC's. Same goes for system apps and their data.

Q:The back light of the soft key goes on and off, seemingly random, what can I do about this?

A:I've created a mod that permanently disables the softkey's backlight, regardless of light sensor and backlight intensity. It's a script in init.d so you can easily remove it by removing the file from /system/etc/init.d.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27703769/Per...0Backlight.zip

The script locks the backlight intensity at boot, which is normally 0. But when you have BLN enabled and there is a notification on boot it will lock the backlight when it's on. When this happens a reboot after the notification is gone will fix the problem.

This is another solution, main drawback is that you have to enable Automatic Brightness for it to work.
The soft keys respond to the automatic brightness. This is not a bug, but a feature. You can regulate this by going to display settings -> automatic brightess -> advanced options. Enable the use custom levels, and set the values for soft keys. Set all levels on 255 for always on, or all on 0 for always off.

Q:My GPS takes ages to acquire a lock, and/or is far from accurate.

A:Unless you are living in North America this is because the ntp server is set to North America. Changing this in the gps server settings doesnít work, so youíll have to directly edit the gps.conf file which is situated in /system/etc. But to make it easier for yíall I created CWM flashable .zips. Youíll have to flash these after every update, simply because /system and all its subfolders are wiped on update. The .zips are found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1233256
If your country isnít on the list there is no ntp server hosted in your country, in that case use the zip of the closest country.

Q:The audio through my headphones wonít go any louder after four clicks.

A:This also is a known bug, there is a fix. But itís both unwieldy and temporary. Type the following into a terminal emulator.

Code:
$ su
# /system/bin/alsa_amixer sset Headphone 31
31 is the max headphone volume, if you want to change the volume choose any value betwoon 0 ( completely silent ) and 31 ( the loudest ). But when choosing the volume rocker it ignores this setting. So you'll have to enter it manually everytime you want to change the volume.

Q:I can't access my internal storage through USB.

A:Make sure USB Debugging is activated. Enable it by going to settings -> applications -> development -> enable USB Debugging.

Q:When I reboot my phone data is turned off automatically.

A:This is a known bug, for now: just flip the data toggle in the toggles dropdown menu.

Q:No matter what the size is, the market tells me the file needs to be downloaded over wifi.

A:Open the downloads app from the launcher, and turn download using wifi off. When connected with wifi it will still download over wifi, so donít fear for your data bundle.

Q:My phone doesn't go into deep sleep.

A:This is a bug in the Battery Monitor, the phone actually does go into deep sleep, but it isn't noticed by the battery monitor. You can check this using CPU Spy:

Quote:
Multimedia
Q:I can't play music from my external SD card.

Q:Make sure the folder on your external SD card is being searched by MIUI Music. Go to Music -> Settings -> Filter by Folder -> *Tick the required folders*

Q:I donít like the MIUI camera app, what are the alternatives?

A:There are a few replacements on the market. Most used is lgCamera (https://market.android.com/details?i...epper.lgCamera). There also is being worked on a port of the Samsung camera app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1239045

Q:Video play is out of sync, or stutters.

A:There are two viable alternatives; RockPlayer (https://market.android.com/details?i...d.unified.lite), and MX Video Player (https://market.android.com/details?i...videoplayer.ad) with the ARMv7 codec (https://market.android.com/details?i...eg.v7_vfpv3d16). I prefer the latter, mainly because of its interface.

Q:Sounds good, but what does it look like?

A:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MEHdLKpD4

Quote:
Customization
Q:Are there mods I canít miss out on?

A:Take a look here:

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/forumd...p?36-MIUI-Mods

The mods on this forum are generic MIUI mods, unless specified otherwise of course.

Q:And how about the themes?

A:I would suggest looking here:

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/forumd...Theme-Releases

There are a few other sites but most of them are posted here too.
As for personal choice, I recommend checking out Signa.

Q:Where are the old ringtones? The new ones are horrible!

A:Here's a Clockworkmod flashable .zip with the the old ringtones and notification sounds.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27703769/Audio.zip

Q:How about custom kernels? I want to use my 1337 overclock skills!

A:Bmarko has aked not to release any custom kernels untill he decides it to be stable.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tijmen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tijmen
Old
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1893
my precious...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tijmen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maddada
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Great work, hope a stable release comes out soon...

jankhner
Old
Thanks Meter 85
nice to see that you decided to continue bmarko's work! thanks!

eezdva
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Can I just update from the previous version or should I wipe???

kingkobra
Old
Thanks Meter 3
u the man ;) .... thx for keeping miui alive for our sgs2...
cheers...
btw how do install it? Same as bmarko miui???

m2smoe
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Great to see someone picking this up!

DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100
ROM: Cyanogenmod 10.1

Taskman
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Thanks for keeping the ROM alive gangsterjoop.

All props to bmarko for creating it and making it possible.

Already looking forward to Friday

Current Phone: LG G2 D802
ROM:Stock Rooted

Current Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: Paranoid Android

Current Tablet: ASUS FonePad
ROM: Stock Rooted

"Give a man a blanket and you can keep him warm for a night. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Razer(x)
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4708

DONATE TO ME
Nice job, i thought you would have done something like that. Thank you so much

Tags
based on cyanogenmod, bmarko rules, bmarko82, miui