CyanogenMod 12.1 for YU Yureka

YU Yureka recently received an official Cyanogen OS 12S update. If you prefer to use a newer revision of … more

Open War for Open Android: Antitrust for Cyanogen?

Android and openness is something we talk about all the time, but the recent … more

What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Database [MOD][GUIDE][CUSTOM]Increase system partition size

24th January 2015, 12:50 AM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 759

885 posts
Donate to Me
More
Increasing system partition size

Since there is no official thread for increasing the system partition size (not data partition size as there is one already), I've decided to make a thread.

Guide updated on 26/02/15

Disclaimer:

Quote:

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this tool
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

This process will wipe all of your data off your phone. This includes all of your apps, system storage and internal sd card. It doesn't wipe your external sd card. Make sure to backup all of your apps and data to the cloud or onto a computer

Make a backup!! Why am I saying this again? Because there is always a few careless people who do this process and complain how they lost all of their data.

If you try to use the modified system partition with stock rom, your rom will not boot! You must revert to stock system partition sizes first then install stock rom!

What you need:
- A kernel in .tar format. I highly recommend gustavo kernel as it don't suffer the formatting problem that dorimanx or apolo kernel does. Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...o-tar-t2994381
- System pit files (Provided in the attachments)
- A PC (preferably Windows, don't know if this works on linux and OS X)
- A archiving/compression utility such as 7-zip or winrar. I recommend 7-zip because it is for free and it is open source.
- ODIN (to flash the kernel of course)

Benefits
Why do people increase the partition sizes? Here are some reasons why:
- Can allocate more storage space for more apps (removes the need for moving apps to sd card)
- Allows people to upgrade to lollipop easier (if you don't want to go through any messages saying that there isn't enough space)
- Since it will delete everything, this will restore all lost space taken up by apps and other programs
- Gapps (Google Apps) will be much easier to install (you can choose larger gapps file if you want, only if you increase system partition)
- Can fix some unsolveable bootloops (yes, this is true)
- Can fix problems with partition errors

Instuctions
  1. Make a nandroid backup onto your external sd card or PC (VERY IMPORTANT!!! All backups in internal sd card will be deleted so move them!)
  2. Download the system pit files (attached in OP)
  3. Extract the zip file
  4. Open ODIN (Attached in the OP)
  5. Connect your phone to your PC via USB while in download mode (make sure your phone is detected on ODIN, it should say COM:{number})
  6. Click on the PIT button and locate and select your desired pit file
  7. Click on PDA or AP and select your kernel .tar file (look at this thread if you don't have one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...o-tar-t2994381)
  8. Make sure that re-partition has been ticked then click start. If your phone successfully flashes, move onto the next step. If not, try changing usb ports, changing ODIN version, changing pit files or seeing if your device has a corrupt nand (or broken). If your nand is corrupt or broken, you won't be able to flash with ODIN (and you will need to buy a new motherboard).
  9. While your phone reboots, you need to perform the button combination to get into recovery (home button + power button + volume up)
  10. If you have CWM recovery, go to mounts and storage then select format /sd card0 or /internal sd card. Select default and your internal sd card should successfully format. If not, try ext4 format. If you have TWRP recovery, you will need to go to wipe>advanced and select format /sd card then swipe to confirm . If you can successfully format your phone here, skip steps 11, 12, 13, 14.
  11. If formatting sd card in recovery fails, connect your phone to your PC. While still in recovery (CWM), go to mounts and storage and select mount mass storage. If you have TWRP recovery, go to mount and select mount sd card. It should prompt you that the storage isn't ready yet and you need to format. If your PC still doesn't detect your phone, check if the proper drivers are installed (in attachments). Also, if your phone doesn't get detected and you've done everything in this step, try changing usb ports, computers and even usb cables.
  12. Click format
  13. You can leave all of the settings to default, I personally like to change the allocation size to 4KB (4KB is good if you want to make the most out of your phone's storage while having enough speed)
  14. Click format.
  15. Go back to your phone. You can choose to restore from your backup or install a new rom. If you choose to restore from a backup, skip allof the remaining steps. (Note: DorimanX kernel recoveries can not format /data partition more than 2gb, use an alternative first when restoring a backup then flash back if needed)
  16. In mounts and storage, choose format /data, /cache, /datadata (if there) and /system (Note: DorimanX kernel recoveries can not format /data partition more than 2gb, use an alternative first then flash back if needed)
  17. Now you can flash a ROM as you normally would

Huge thanks to ElGamal for providing the modified pit files and metalgearhathaway for providing the stock pit file.

Quote:

There are two with 515MB system partition, one with 6GB and the other with 8GB data partition.
And there are three with 1GB system partition, one with 3GB, other with 4GB and the last with 6GB data partition.
I've included the stock pit file in the attachments too.
The rest of the memory is for internal SD.
I don't include pit files with modified preload partition as it can cause some phones to bootloop.
Also, 6GB and 8GB pit files may also bootloop your device or may cause sd card mount issues.
If this is your case, flash one with smaller size!

I've also included ODIN and Samsung drivers in the attachments
Attached Files
File Type: zip pit files.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.3 KB, 4232 views)
File Type: zip Odin v3.09.zip - [Click for QR Code] (980.8 KB, 2112 views)
File Type: zip Odin v3.07.zip - [Click for QR Code] (456.2 KB, 674 views)
File Type: zip SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1.5.49.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (15.67 MB, 2014 views)
File Type: zip Stock_i9100_2gb_Pit.zip - [Click for QR Code] (748 Bytes, 1828 views)
Last edited by gsstudios; 16th April 2015 at 06:50 AM.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to gsstudios For This Useful Post: [ View ]

28th January 2015, 06:41 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

95 posts
Followed this guide to step 10 (formatting with Apolo's kernel) but I was not prompted to format the SD... Windows does not recognize the phone anymore even though the phone boots to TeamWin's recovery just fine. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I flashed Gustavo's kernel as well and have the same problem: Windows does not recognize the device. It does make the beep-beep indicating a connection is being established and it does suggest that it's installing drivers (though they're already installed), and then tells me that it can't find the drivers for a GT-I9100 . I tried the same process on a completely separate machine with no joy. All help very, very welcome.
Last edited by buddy1234567; 28th January 2015 at 07:27 PM.
28th January 2015, 07:19 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

885 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy1234567

Followed this guide to step 10 (formatting with Apolo's kernel) but I was not prompted to format the SD... Windows does not recognize the phone anymore even though the phone boots to TeamWin's recovery just fine. Any ideas?

Have you tried formatting via recovery? Can you mount the sd cards manually? Try cwm recovery instead of twrp.
28th January 2015, 07:37 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

885 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy1234567

UPDATE: I flashed Gustavo's kernel as well and have the same problem: Windows does not recognize the device. It does make the beep-beep indicating a connection is being established and it does suggest that it's installing drivers (though they're already installed), and then tells me that it can't find the drivers for a GT-I9100 . I tried the same process on a completely separate machine with no joy. All help very, very welcome.

You know you can format sd card in recovery. Try that first. If your PC doesn't detect drivers for your phone, you will have to install them manually with the samsung USB drivers (in attachments). I've also updated the guide.
28th January 2015, 08:15 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

95 posts
Thanks for the help! A couple of quick things:
- I installed the samsung drivers above before I started the process, I tried uninstalling them and re-installing and still no joy. At the moment, when I plug in the phone via USB cable I get three quick successive beeps (previously, running Lysergic's LP 5.0.2 this process was working fine and windows recognized the storage folder)
- what type should /sdcard0 be formatted to (ext2/ext4/ntfs...?)
- how does one mount the sdcard manually? I have looked around and there dosen't seem to be a 'guide' per se...

UPDATE: I formatted /data, /cache, /system, /sd card (using 'default' for formatting type) and couldn't find /datadata or /emmc... Windows still gives me three quicks successive beeps and does not recognize the device...

UPDATE2: After mounting both /sdcard and /usb connection in CWM recovery using Gustavo's kernel, Windows recognized the device and I was able to copy rom and gapps and then flash. I didn't realize there was an option to mount /usb connection (!).
Last edited by buddy1234567; 29th January 2015 at 01:21 PM.
1st February 2015, 10:43 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

30 posts
i become the message: "E:Unable to mount '/emmc'

ok, I wanted to change my partition so that I can test lollipop.
But now I would rather do have the kitkat.
Now I have the problem that I can not access my internal memory. I can not load the EMMC. I urge you to help.
I have the pit file taken 1GB 3GB. What can I tuen to reload KitKat can. Also, I have since re these yellow triangle.
How can I register these unregistering.
Last edited by shurka; 1st February 2015 at 01:46 PM.
1st February 2015, 02:28 PM |#7  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 6

95 posts
More
Thumbs up Working <flawless>
Hi
This worked for my i9100P
Now i got 4Go for my apps
Running CM12 Beta13 from Lysergic Acid
All good for now
Many thanks
2nd February 2015, 07:46 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 85

140 posts
More
I followed all the steps and it worked. Now I have 1GB system, 4GB Data. There were a couple of bumps on the road:

- At first, Odin would show Fail!, but after I connected the phone in a different USB port, it worked.
- The first kernel I used was Apollo 8.3 TWRP but I couldn't either format or mount the internal storage in that recovery.
- So I repeated the procedure but this time using this Gustavo's CWM kernel for ODIN created by the OP, and in recovery I was able to format internal storage without issues (by the way, I selected default from the formatting options).

Thanks for the guide.
8th February 2015, 03:04 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

35 posts
More
I don't include pit files with modified preload partition as it can cause some phones to bootloop.
eoq---

Since only stock ROM is using preload partition, i quess it's safe... could you direct me to PIT file of (1GB system, 3 GB DATA, 45MB or less preload)?

thanks

nevermind...
Last edited by cikenkari; 9th February 2015 at 04:13 AM. Reason: nvm, i modified myself
11th February 2015, 01:00 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

113 posts
when should I flash this mod? at stock ROM or at Lollipop
hey guys

because of the problems that my phone has at the moment I have to install the stock ROM and work my way up to Lollipop. When is it better to use this mod. Right after I go to stock or can I wait untill after I Have installed Lollipop?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
increase system partition, odin, partition, pit, system partition
Previous Thread Next Thread