Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,373 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[18 Apr 2014] [KERNEL TESTS] [SAMMY ROMS] Kernel battery tests and benchmark results

Tip us?

pacc
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Congrats for your work, it does help a lot.
SI - 16GB+64GB - 4.4.2 CM11
SII - SOLD
SIII - 16GB+64GB - 4.3 Stock
SIV - SOLD
MEGA - 8GB+64GB - 4.2.2 Stock

Next - Torn Between SGS Note 3 / Sony Z2 / Samsung S5 / Nexus 5 / Oppo Find 7 / HTC M8
The Following User Says Thank You to pacc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidGX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,178

DONATE TO ME
Hiya It_ler !

Glad you finally opened a thread mate, will be easier to follow your tests

Thumbs up for this guy who spend most of his time benchmarking battery life with kernels and playing with his own battery lifetime to shares us always everyday better useful stats !

'Cheers!
CURRENT DEVICE : Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) ★
DEVICE HISTORY : HTC Diamond > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S3

"If you take life too seriously : just undervolt it."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndroidGX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

geko95gek
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,137

DONATE TO ME
Hi mate, just added a link to your thread in my MagicConfig thread in post 2 here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1466017

Sent from my 80GB CyanogenMOD 9 + Siyah ICS powered beast. Booya!!
[HTC One M7/M8] Renovate Nightlies & Themes hosted by SoLdieR9312

|My Trance Mixes|

CURRENT DEVICES = HTC One M7 (Vivid Blue) / LG Nexus 4 16GB
PREVIOUS = HTC One X / Samsung Galaxy S2 / iPhone 4 / HTC Incredible S / HTC Desire HD

Code:
HTC One 32GB Vivid Blue with Firmware 6.09.401.5 (hboot 1.57, no red text mod!) running Dirty Unicorns 4.4.4 and Stock kernel 
Nexus 4 16GB running Android L Preview Beta and Hellsgod kernel

HTC One X | RC FAQ thread = HERE!! (read before posting questions!)
The Following User Says Thank You to geko95gek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DanDroidian
Old
Thanks Meter 238
Great info and detailed test results!! THX!!

Out of curiosity, forgetting all the numbers, which kernel is your favorite?? Which one felt the smoothest to you?

(the reason I ask is because I just upgraded from SGS1 to SGS2 today and have to start all over again choosing roms, mods, kernels, etc, and would also like to hear your overall impressions of these different kernels)
The Following User Says Thank You to DanDroidian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

It_ler
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 15,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDroidian View Post
Great info and detailed test results!! THX!!

Out of curiosity, forgetting all the numbers, which kernel is your favorite?? Which one felt the smoothest to you?

(the reason I ask is because I just upgraded from SGS1 to SGS2 today and have to start all over again choosing roms, mods, kernels, etc, and would also like to hear your overall impressions of these different kernels)
I have got no real or absolute favourite kernel.
As IMO battery life is more important, I prefer Phenomenal Extreme, which is extremely undervolted by default but stable on my phone.
For smoothness ... try latest SpeedMod kernel.
N.E.A.K. and SiyahKernel are also very good and smooth, but you can tweak a lot of system/kernel settings to optimize the kernel to your needs ... so that is something I would not recommend for "beginners".

It is your phone, bootloader is unlocked, so feel fre to flash and test any kernel which is compatible with your ROM.
You are welcome post your results/experiences here.
Device: SGS5 (SM-G900F)
ROM: AllianceROM v5.2
Kernel: Stock XXU1ANG7 kernel
Recovery: PhilZ-touch CWM recovery
Modem: XXU1ANG7
If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread,
... for your SGS5, just ask in the Noob friendly Galaxy S5 All in one support thread.
If you need general help/assistance, please go to XDA Assist.
The Following User Says Thank You to It_ler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DanDroidian
Old
Thanks Meter 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by It_ler View Post
I have got no real or absolute favourite kernel.
As IMO battery life is more important, I prefer Phenomenal Extreme, which is extremely undervolted by default but stable on my phone.
For smoothness ... try latest SpeedMod kernel.
N.E.A.K. and SiyahKernel are also very good and smooth, but you can tweak a lot of system/kernel settings to optimize the kernel to your needs ... so that is something I would not recommend for "beginners".

It is your phone, bootloader is unlocked, so feel fre to flash and test any kernel which is compatible with your ROM.
You are welcome post your results/experiences here.
Thx for that. I will start with SpeedMod, and if the battery life isn't good enough, I'll try Phenomenal Extreme.

AndroidGX
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,178

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by It_ler View Post
I just flashed Phenomenal 5.5 Extreme and added its results.
As I recognized a "suspicious" wakelock (Social Hub - Seven.Z7), which was not as big/long in previous tests, and battery test results are worse than usual for Phenomenal Extreme, I will do a second battery cycle and update the results afterwards.
SocialHub is in my recommanded apk removing list (in my battery saving tips collection), it's sucking battery juice like hell same about Seven engine

Btw, I tried latest XXLPW CF-Root kernel but didn't found it very battery frendly in deep sleep, won't recommand it to ure future kernel-to-test list at all
CURRENT DEVICE : Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) ★
DEVICE HISTORY : HTC Diamond > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S3

"If you take life too seriously : just undervolt it."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndroidGX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

It_ler
Old
(Last edited by It_ler; 1st June 2012 at 09:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidGX View Post
SocialHub is in my recommanded apk removing list (in my battery saving tips collection), it's sucking battery juice like hell same about Seven engine

Btw, I tried latest XXLPW CF-Root kernel but didn't found it very battery frendly in deep sleep, won't recommand it to ure future kernel-to-test list at all
Yeah, saw your tips already and have applied many of them. (See the link in the first post!)
With removing of some system apks I am very careful, as I am using GTalk, stock EMail and Google Reader app.
So I still need some of these social hub / seven apks.
But I am always confident to test new settings ;)

Have updated my "kernels-to-test" list in post #2.
Always happy to hear about other user's experiences.
If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread,
... for your SGS5, just ask in the Noob friendly Galaxy S5 All in one support thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to It_ler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Phil3759
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 31,038

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for this great work

Any chance you add tests for LPW and the new LPG?

I am interested with battery tests mainly. LPF is not that great with me, stock kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil3759 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

It_ler
Old
Thanks Meter 15,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil3759 View Post
Thanks for this great work

Any chance you add tests for LPW and the new LPG?

I am interested with battery tests mainly. LPF is not that great with me, stock kernel
XXLPW is not on my current kernels-to-test list, but maybe XWLPG could be a candidate.
Want to finish my current tests first, then I decide which kernel/ROM to test next.

Tags
battery life, benchmarks, sgs2, stock roms, test kernels
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe