5,593,293 Members 33,070 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[30/08][TUTORIAL][GUIDE] Learn to make your own 'eye-candy' mods [Easy Steps]

Tip us?

GaboWinter
Old
(Last edited by GaboWinter; 6th November 2012 at 03:53 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 9405
Phone [30/08][TUTORIAL][GUIDE] Learn to make your own 'eye-candy' mods [Easy Steps]

Hi, I'm open this thread with the intention of help to all the people who wants give some 'eye-candy' to their SGSII. I'm taking as base the mods that I made for the Resurrection Remix ROM but this not means that only work on the RR ROM, since, what you can find here are guides, the only necessary to do it's follow the steps with the files from the ROM that you want.

Feedback and comments are welcome.

Remember, always make a Nandroid Backup before of flash any mod!

If you are using the "Technical way" and have some troubles at the moment of decompile/compile, take a look on this thread.

⊗ INDEX OF TUTORIALS ⊗

Decompile the .apk method [Technical Way]

How-to modify the SystemUI background

How-to modify the Dialer background

How-to change the Lockscreen Icon to swype

How-to add the Carrier Name on the status bar

Drag & Drop Method [Easy Steps for noobs]

How-to modify the SystemUI background

How-to modify the Dialer background

How-to modify the Toggles of the notification area

Useful Guides

How-to do it your own theme by kroz46 Drag & Drop Method [Easy Steps for noobs]

'VRTheme template' method by VillainROM team [Tested with Jelly Bean builds]

'Universal Flasher Tool' method [NOT tested with Jelly Bean builds]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

⊗ Decompile the .apk method [Technical way] ⊗

⊗ How-to modify the SystemUI background ⊗

1.- Extract the framework-res.apk from the path /system/framework, for do this just decompress the main .zip of your ROM

2.- Decompile the framework-res.apk with Android-Utility if you are on Linux & MAC (this a powerful tool and very simple to use, please read all the OP of @TommyTommatoe) if you are on Windows then use APK Tool

3.- Go to the path /res/drawable-nodpi

4.- Rename the image that you want use as background_holo_dark.png (remember that the image needs to be a resolution of 480x800 for a better experience)

5.- Paste the image on the folder /res/drawable-nodpi for replace the original one

8.- Compile the framework-res.apk

9.- Sign the framework-res.apk

10.- Here you have an example of the needed folders to make your modded apk flashable through recovery, the META-INF folder contain the script to make flashable the files if you want modify for show some custom text during the installation, go to the path /com/google/android/updater-script and modify the lines that i mark there. Then place the SystemUI.apk in the path /system/app (as you can see this just follow the structure of the folders in the main .zip of all the ROM's)

11.- Compress the folders META-INF and system in one .zip, name it as you want.

12.- Enjoy the MOD

⊗ How-to modify the Dialer background ⊗

1.- Extract the Contacts.apk from the path /system/app, for do this just decompress the main .zip of your ROM

2.- Decompile the Contacts.apk with Android-Utility if you are on Linux & MAC (this a powerful tool and very simple to use, please read all the OP of @TommyTommatoe) if you are on Windows then use APK Tool

3.- Go to the path /res/drawable-nodpi

4.- Rename the image that you want use as background_dial_holo_dark.png (remember that the image needs to be a resolution of 480x800 for a better experience)

5.- Paste the image on the folder /res/drawable-nodpi for replace the original one

8.- Compile the Contacts.apk

9.- Sign the Contacts.apk

10.- Here you have an example of the needed folders to make your modded apk flashable through recovery, the META-INF folder contain the script to make flashable the files if you want modify for show some custom text during the installation, go to the path /com/google/android/updater-script and modify the lines that i mark there. Then place the SystemUI.apk in the path /system/app (as you can see this just follow the structure of the folders in the main .zip of all the ROM's)

12.- Enjoy the MOD

⊗ Drag & Drop Method [Easy Steps for noobs] ⊗

⊗ How-to change the SystemUI background ⊗

1.- Extract the framework-res.apk from the main zip of your ROM and open it with a double clic

5.- Go to the path /res/drawable-nodpi

6.- Rename the image that you want use as background_holo_dark.png (remember that the image needs to be a resolution of 480x800 for a better experience)

7.- Drag and drop the image on the folder /res/drawable-nodpi for replace the original one

8.- Here you have an example of the needed folders to make your modded apk flashable through recovery, the META-INF folder contain the script to make flashable the files if you want modify for show some custom text during the installation, go to the path /com/google/android/updater-script and modify the lines that i mark there. Then place the SystemUI.apk in the path /system/app (as you can see this just follow the structure of the folders in the main .zip of all the ROM's)

9.- Compress the folders META-INF and system in one .zip, name it as you want.

10.- Enjoy the MOD

⊗ How-to change the Dialer background ⊗

1.- Extract the Contacts.apk from the main zip of your ROM and open it with a double clic

2.- Go to the path /res/drawable-nodpi

3.- Rename the image that you want use as background_dial_holo_dark.png (remember that the image needs to be a resolution of 480x800 for a better experience)

4.- Drag and drop the image on the folder /res/drawable-nodpi for replace the original

5.- Here you have an example of the needed folders to make your modded apk flashable through recovery, the META-INF folder contain the script to make flashable the files if you want modify for show some custom text during the installation, go to the path /com/google/android/updater-script and modify the lines that i mark there. Then place the SystemUI.apk in the path /system/app (as you can see this just follow the structure of the folders in the main .zip of all the ROM's)

6.- Compress the folders META-INF and system in one .zip, name it as you want.

7.- Enjoy the MOD

⊗ How-to change the Toggles of the notification area ⊗

1.- Extract the SystemUI.apk from your ROM and open it with a double clic.

2.- Go to the path /res/drawable

3.- Here you need replace the two images named: btn_off.png and btn_on.png

4.- When you have your images ready just drag and drop both images on the folder /res/drawable to replace the originals.

5.- Go to the path /res/drawable-hdpi and find all the images for the toggles, example: toggle_2g_1.png

6.- When you have your images ready just drag and drop both images on the folder /res/drawable-hdpi to replace the originals.

7.- Here you have an example of the needed folders to make your modded apk flashable through recovery, the META-INF folder contain the script to make flashable the files if you want modify for show some custom text during the installation, go to the path /com/google/android/updater-script and modify the lines that i mark there. Then place the SystemUI.apk in the path /system/app (as you can see this just follow the structure of the folders in the main .zip of all the ROM's)

8.- Compress the folders META-INF and system in one .zip, name it as you want.

9.- Enjoy the MOD

⊗ Extra Tutorials ⊗

⊗ How-to change the Lockscreen Icon to Swype [Technical way] ⊗

1.- Extract the framework-res.apk from the path /system/framework, for do this just decompress the main .zip of your ROM

2.- Decompile the framework-res.apk with Android-Utility if you are on Linux & MAC (this a powerful tool and very simple to use, please read all the OP of TommyTommatoe) if you are on Windows then use APK Tool

3.- Go to the path /res/drawable-hdpi

4.- Rename the image that you want use as ic_lockscreen_handle_normal.png (remember, the stock image it's of 162 x 162 px)

5.- If you want change the icon when you "push" too, you need to change the image named ic_lockscreen_handle_pressed.png too

5.- Paste the images on the folder /res/drawable-hdpi for replace the original ones

8.- Compile the framework-res.apk

9.- Sign the framework-res.apk

12.- Enjoy the MOD

⊗ How-to add the Carrier Name on the status bar [Technical way] ⊗

1.- Extract the SystemUI.apk from the path /system/app, for do this just decompress the main .zip of your ROM

2.- Decompile the SystemUI.apk with Android-Utility (this a powerful tool and very simple to use, please read all the OP of TommyTommatoe) if you are on Windows then use APK Tool

3.- Go to the path /res/layout and open the status_bar.xml file

4.- Find this line:

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.StatusBarIconView android:id="@id/moreIcon" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:src="@drawable/stat_notify_more" />
5.- Above of that line insert this one:

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.CarrierLabel android:textAppearance="@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" android:textColor="@android:color/transparent" android:background="@drawable/carrier_logo" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_alignParentLeft="true" />
6.- Save the .xml file and exit

7.- Go to the path res/drawable-hdpi and inside put the image that you want use, named as carrier_logo.png Note: The image must be of 100 x 45 px

8.- Compile the SystemUI.apk

9.- Sign the SystemUI.apk

12.- Enjoy the MOD

⊗ 'Universal Flasher Tool' method ⊗

NOT tested on Jelly Bean builds

The "Universal Flasher Tool", it's a tool developed by Spanish cookers and it's very easy to use:

First of all, download the latest version from here (the link it's on the bottom of the post) For the people who knows spanish will be very useful if you read all the OP.

When you have the downloaded file, unzip it, inside you find 6 files:

- META-INF folder
- MORPH folder
- tools folder
- XTRAS folder
- MOD.config file
- README.txt file

As I explain here the "fast and easy" way, the only things that you need are:

- META-INF folder
- MORPH folder
- MOD.config file

On the META-INF folder, it's the installation script (/META-INF/com/google/android/update-script) from here, the only things that you can add/modify it's the sentence ui_print(" "); and inside of the quoutes " " write the text that you want show on the recovery, for example:

ui_print(" ");
ui_print(" <GaboWinter Mods> ");
ui_print(" <made with> ");

Honestly, for the very very noob modders i'm not recommend change anything from here, be careful!

On the MORPH folder you can find two folders data and system, the files that you want change must be placed inside of the system folder, this is a recreation of the original paths from the zip of the main ROM so, if you want change the background of the System UI you need to recreate the path (just create the folders) /system/framework/framework-res.apk/res/drawable-nodpi and inside put the file (background_holo_dark.png) that you want set, just place the image and nothing more.

This step can be used to modify multiple files, just create the folders (paths) inside the system folder

On the MOD.config file you can find some tweaks, for example, you can set if you want or not clean the dalvik-cache when the script of installation finish, i recommend to you read the .txt file it's very simple.

As this method only changes the exact file (.png's) the mods must work on every version of your ROM (the paths never change), that's because with this we don't use the .apk's. Have in count that this method works pretty well with images but no with .xml's and other files, if you want mod some code then follow the [Technical Steps]
The Following 100 Users Say Thank You to GaboWinter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scayre32
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Default Good stuff.

Can I just ask what the font is that's used in the ROM design?
Root box JB

GaboWinter
Old
Thanks Meter 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by scayre32 View Post
Can I just ask what the font is that's used in the ROM design?
Thanks mate, well actually it's Roboto Font

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaboWinter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scayre32
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Default I meant

the font from your signature and some of the wallpapers that were made for the previous versions. Should have made that clearer, sorry.
Root box JB

shadowblade330
Old
Thanks Meter 263
Nice I always wanted to try to mod stuff thanks for the tutorials.
Phones:
Nexus 5 (current)

ROM:
Kernel:
Modem:

Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy S2

Tablet:
Nexus 10 Tablet
Nexus 7 (2013)

RBoX MODS

My LOCKSCREEN MODS Updated 7/17/12
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowblade330 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GaboWinter
Old
Thanks Meter 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by scayre32 View Post
the font from your signature and some of the wallpapers that were made for the previous versions. Should have made that clearer, sorry.
Oh, sorry but i don't have that info. Actually @cyberboob it's who design that stuff, but i asked already when he tell me i pass you the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowblade330 View Post
Nice I always wanted to try to mod stuff thanks for the tutorials.
Thank you mate, i'm glad of give a little help

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaboWinter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rakeshishere
Old
Thanks Meter 969
Use lockscreen mod on CM9 and it messed up my phone.

farizafiq
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up thanks

thanks gabo for sharing..i dont know bout others but this makes my phone more awesome
The Following User Says Thank You to farizafiq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GaboWinter
Old
Thanks Meter 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshishere View Post
What error gives you? Some fc?

I check the files, the issue it's caused for the lockscreen files, the framework of CM9 it's different than the one used by @bajee11, his mod only works on Resurrection Remix, i'm gonna edit the post with that warning

Thanks for the feedback and hope this can be solved soon

DeltaSync
Old
Thanks Meter 460

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshishere View Post
This is a guide to create your own Mod, the Mod are provider here works with Resurrection Remix ics others rom has different version of framework-res.apk . Use this guide with ur own files of ur Rom

ROM: Official Firmware I9500XXUFNB3 - 4.4.2 | Kernel: Stock 3.4.5-699287 | Modem:I9500UBUEMK1 | Phone Status: Rooted

Tags
aokp, mod, noob, resurrection remix, tutorial
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe