Android OS process eating away battery life

OP simonk83

9th May 2011, 05:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 11

194 posts
Hi all,

So, this problem appears common on other phones as well, and appears to be a Gingerbread issue. Drilling down further using Watchdog Lite on the phone, it appears to be a process called Suspend causing the high CPU usage.

There are a few threads on this:

http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...26#makechanges
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15057
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post10004299
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/myTouc...ess/m-p/605813

Personally, I'm getting pretty terrible battery life out of my S2, and I can confirm that in the Battery Status menu, Android OS appears extremely high at around 40% (a friends Nexus has this sitting at around 2%).

Not sure there's much we can do about it but wait and hope for a fix from Samsung (or Google)... People are reporting that rebooting the phone can help, but it's only temporary.

Anyway, just something to check if you're having issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simonk83 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2011, 07:09 AM   |  #2  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 29

677 posts
+1 second that.

Android os eats the most of the battery

Reboot helps temporarily.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
9th May 2011, 08:05 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 91

537 posts
My os is at 79% i have no idea whats going on? but i am running launcher pro plus?
9th May 2011, 08:13 AM   |  #4  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,249

19,381 posts
More
OK. So now we have identified an "issue".

Could you guys post juiceplotter logs while phone is asleep and draining, and while in use?

For asleep, i mean literally not touching it for half an hour. On, just occasional tap to keep screen on.

What we are after is an idea of what is causing system to use the power. Can we compare configurations of push email etc, to see if anything differs?

Are we rooted? Etc
9th May 2011, 08:16 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 91

537 posts

this is a screen print of my usage.
How do you do the log thing ?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...509160954.jpg/
Last edited by NIK516; 9th May 2011 at 08:35 AM.
9th May 2011, 08:24 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 11

194 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2

OK. So now we have identified an "issue".

Could you guys post juiceplotter logs while phone is asleep and draining, and while in use?

For asleep, i mean literally not touching it for half an hour. On, just occasional tap to keep screen on.

What we are after is an idea of what is causing system to use the power. Can we compare configurations of push email etc, to see if anything differs?

Are we rooted? Etc

Hi mate,

I rooted my phone yesterday, but I don't think that's a cause as it was just as bad before. In fact I rooted it just so I could freeze some apps

At the moment, I only have my google account set to sync (calendar, mail, contacts), and I have gmail pushing through emails.

All the stock Samsung apps are frozen. No widgets are running (I'm trying to run it fairly barebones to see how long I can get out of it).

I don't have juiceplotter installed, I'll look into that. I do have Watchdog though, and from all the other threads on this issue the problem seems to be the Suspend process (confirmed by a Google employee).

I don't think there's much we can do aside from wait for a fix. The problem appears to have been around since at least September last year.
9th May 2011, 08:30 AM   |  #7  
Flag Cheshire, UK.
Thanks Meter: 58

413 posts
More
I had this the first few days I had the phone, my battery was being wiped out in hours.

I formatted both my mem cards and hard reset. Since then my battey life has been amazing (got through the whole day yesterday only using 25% battery), and os use has dropped to about 18% (still a bit high but better than 40%).
Last edited by madpete; 9th May 2011 at 08:35 AM.
9th May 2011, 09:19 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 2,613

6,349 posts
Donate to Me
Same issue here, both new flashed roms and my own slim roms suffer from same issue. I have a look tonight if i can find any solution.
9th May 2011, 09:42 AM   |  #9  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,249

19,381 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk83

Hi mate,

I rooted my phone yesterday, but I don't think that's a cause as it was just as bad before. In fact I rooted it just so I could freeze some apps

At the moment, I only have my google account set to sync (calendar, mail, contacts), and I have gmail pushing through emails.

All the stock Samsung apps are frozen. No widgets are running (I'm trying to run it fairly barebones to see how long I can get out of it).

I don't have juiceplotter installed, I'll look into that. I do have Watchdog though, and from all the other threads on this issue the problem seems to be the Suspend process (confirmed by a Google employee).

I don't think there's much we can do aside from wait for a fix. The problem appears to have been around since at least September last year.

OK. I will see if I can think of anything, as I remember we fixed a similar issue when popping 2.1 onto it, when some binary was giving us trouble...
9th May 2011, 09:56 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 2,613

6,349 posts
Donate to Me
Root or no root don not affect this issue. Only time i dont get it: fresh flash of new rom without anything installed.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread