XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery drain - source found

Tip us?

steinrr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Battery drain - source found

I have had problems with battery drain on my S2 from the day I bought it. The battery would last apprx 12-14 hours before going dead - almost without use.

I then removed an Exchange (ActiveSync) mail account. And the problem was gone. 30+ hours battery with no problems. I added the mail account back, and the problem reoccured. I testet this some more times and it was consistent each time. BTW I was not using push, just manual mail update.

The mail account that I am adding forces encryption on the phone, so it might be that this is the actual source of the battery drain. But it shows that the phone is useless using ActiveSync with encryption.

I was hoping that this was fixed in 2.3.4, but the problem was the same there as well. Until this is fixed (which I don't suspect will happen) I can not use the phone with my job email account because of this.

nikzDHD
Old
Thanks Meter 1003
Yes you can go to themes and apps section and search for the administration removed email app, stock app with the corporate control removed try it and see if that works better, currently using it myself and no big battery drains.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
Rom: AOSP GE 4.4.2 by Danvdh - Fast! | Der Kernel: KT Kernel

Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 32GB
Rom: OmniRom 4.4.2 | Der Kernel: Stock Omni

Previous: HTC DesireHD > Samsung Galaxy SII > T-Mobile Rapport > Samsung Galaxy S (Backup) > Samsung Galaxy SIII (Brief ownership) > Samsung Galaxy Note II > HTC One X > Nexus 4

steinrr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
"go to themes and apps section and search for the administration removed email app, stock app with the corporate control removed"

Where is this? Android Market? I did not find it...

jr866gooner
Old
Thanks Meter 274
Themes and apps section of this s2 forum

anisbombaywala
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Using 'Push' uses a lot of battery. See if you can manage with 'Manual' or scheduled to check every few minutes.

Also disable 'Auto-sync' if not required.

Log out of Latitude from within Maps.

steinrr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anisbombaywala View Post
Using 'Push' uses a lot of battery. See if you can manage with 'Manual' or scheduled to check every few minutes.

Also disable 'Auto-sync' if not required.

Log out of Latitude from within Maps.
As I said in my initial post - I do not use push - I have everything on manual. It drains battery even if I do not check the mail once.

steinrr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
jr866gooner: I found it, but I guess this forces rooting of the phone? It is a phone owned by my employeer, so this is unfortunately not an option :(

nikzDHD
Old
Thanks Meter 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinrr View Post
jr866gooner: I found it, but I guess this forces rooting of the phone? It is a phone owned by my employeer, so this is unfortunately not an option :(
You can unroot upon return just use a insecure kernel which will bypass superuser I think.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
Rom: AOSP GE 4.4.2 by Danvdh - Fast! | Der Kernel: KT Kernel

Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 32GB
Rom: OmniRom 4.4.2 | Der Kernel: Stock Omni

Previous: HTC DesireHD > Samsung Galaxy SII > T-Mobile Rapport > Samsung Galaxy S (Backup) > Samsung Galaxy SIII (Brief ownership) > Samsung Galaxy Note II > HTC One X > Nexus 4

gschot
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I also pinned down my huge battery drain (10% per hour) to the Exchange email connection I use. I have tried various stock ROMs and some custom ones, but all seem to give the same result. I must say that older ROMs did not seem to have the drain this much. I am currently running Cognition 1.5.1.

Currently I work around the drain by manually syncing my email whenever I want to read email and this results in a whole lot less battery consumption (I now have 50-70% battery left with moderate use, instead of only barely managing 8 hours or so.

I have installed the modified Email.apk to see if this fixes some issues. The email.apk in Cognition did not have a .odex file anymore and was a few bytes different in size, so I really really hope that this fixes the drain. I'll keep you posted.

Gerco

cyberpunk627
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Would someone please be so kind to link the thread with the modified apk? Forum search through tapatalk is not always an easy task
Thanks a lot guys

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100
Galaxy Note II N7100 | Alliance ROM | 240 dpi