Boot Loader Lock and alternate ROMs

Tip us?

FRLinux
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvmalik View Post
Even if it is locked, this device is to big to pass up. I have no doubt there will be a way, there always is.

I am coming from an iPhone where the iPhone Dev's play cat and mouse with Apple each time there is an iOS firmware release.
True on the IOS part but still think there will soon be much better devices tgan SGS 2 announced.

Bilhouse
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I personally have never used a non-stock Android experience phone so it will be interesting to see what TouchWiz 4.0 is like in day to day use.

However if the bootloader is unlocked I will probably end up rooting it and installing a ROM like CyanogenMod.

dhruvmalik
Old
Thanks Meter 432
That may be the case as every device in the market requires a refresh, but for now, this is the refresh that everyone is buzzing over.

FRLinux
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
That may be the case as every device in the market requires a refresh, but for now, this is the refresh that everyone is buzzing over.
Indeed :D

MoonRaven
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Even if it is locked, this device is to big to pass up. I have no doubt there will be a way, there always is.
Motorola Milestone has been released over a year ago and still no custom kernels...

Phones:
  • Samsung Galaxy S IV (I9505)
  • Nokia Lumia 800
  • Nokia Lumia 820
Previous: Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100), Motorola Milestone, Samsung i780, Nokia 6320, Bosch World 718, Nokia 3330, Nokia 3310, Alcatel Pocketline Swing, Sony Ericsson w810i and Sagem MC922

FRLinux
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven View Post
Motorola Milestone has been released over a year ago and still no custom kernels...
CyanogenMod 7 works on it though

Chainfire
Old
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter 45927

DONATE TO ME
There is no doubt this is (for now) secret info.

We'll be trying to dump a real SGS2 tonight. It's an engineering sample, which means it might have unlocked bootloaders even though retail hasn't. But we have problems even before dumping, so don't get your hopes up.

As for fixing the Galaxy Tab, that was done by employing unlocked bootloaders we already had. The big hack was getting them back on the device in a working state. If the SGS2 comes locked out of the box, we don't have this (major!) advantage. Unless of course we manage to dump this engineering device, we may be in luck.

However, keep in mind that Samsung has not yet released any stock firmware locked. Even for the Galaxy Tab, the firmwares with locks are leaked firmwares, not official ones. There have been official firmwares for the Galaxy Tab after the leaked firmwares, and those official firmwares did not come with locked bootloaders.

As far as I know, there is still not a single official firmware out there which includes locked bootloaders.

As for SamFirmware, sometimes he has correct info, sometimes not. I know I neither like nor trust the guy, though. There's been a lot of "****".
BLOG - G+(Chainfire) - G+(Personal) - TWITTER - IRC - DONATE

A proper quote includes only the relevant paragraphs, and a proper post never ends with the word "why"

Android
HTC G1, Hero, One
Samsung i5800, i9000*2, P1000*2, P7100, i9100*2, N7000, P6800, i9300, N7100, i9505, N9005
Sony T LT30p, Z C6603
Nexus Galaxy*2, N7, N10, N7-2013

SuperSU, Mobile ODIN, TriangleAway, DSLR Controller, CF-Root, 500 Firepaper, OpenDelta, USB Host Diagnostics, ExynosAbuseAPK, Live dmesg+logcat, NoMoarPowah!, CF-Bench, Chainfire3D, CF.lumen, SGS2 SIM Unlocker, GingerBreakAPK, SuperPower, and more!

Windows Mobile 5/6
E-Mobile EM-ONE
HTC Wizard*2, Kaiser, Touch, Diamond, Pro, HD*2, Diamond 2, Pro 2*2, HD2*2
Samsung i780, i900*2, i8000*2, b7300, b7320, b7330, b7620*2, b6520

WMWifiRouter, KaiserTweak, FPUEnabler, WMLongLife, WMRegOptimizer, CFC+GUI, TF3D+v2 ports, Kaiser+Omnia2+Snapdragon 3D drivers, GfxBoost, and more!

Windows Phone 7
LG GW910

NOTICE: I do not respond to tech support questions through PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

golf2vr6
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Thumbs up Tumbs up!

Thnx Chainfire, hope it will work.

MoonRaven
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRLinux View Post
CyanogenMod 7 works on it though
You don't want to know how crappy the kernel is that motorola supplied. E.g. no swap and CyanogenMod 7 for milestone is a port. Not everything works as it should... A lot of random reboots.

Phones:
  • Samsung Galaxy S IV (I9505)
  • Nokia Lumia 800
  • Nokia Lumia 820
Previous: Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100), Motorola Milestone, Samsung i780, Nokia 6320, Bosch World 718, Nokia 3330, Nokia 3310, Alcatel Pocketline Swing, Sony Ericsson w810i and Sagem MC922

nilezon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
[...]
We'll be trying to dump a real SGS2 tonight. It's an engineering sample, which means it might have unlocked bootloaders even though retail hasn't. But we have problems even before dumping, so don't get your hopes up.

As for fixing the Galaxy Tab, that was done by employing unlocked bootloaders we already had. [...]
Sounds promising. What's these problems you are facing "even before dumping"?
About the Galaxy Tab, you never said how it was finally fixed. Did you use bmlunlock and dd'ing back the old bootloader (or parts of it)?

Please keep us updates on the SGS2 progress. Thanks!