5,815,061 Members 37,752 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally a solution for S2's horrible battery life that I can live with...

Tip us?

Noam23
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Default Finally a solution for S2's horrible battery life that I can live with...

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has horrible battery life. The 1650mah battery will not suffice to anyone but light users.

In my eyes, there are many unacceptable solutions:
- Disabling battery hungry features (lowering screen brightness, undervolting CPU, uninstalling certains apps, disabling real-time sync, etc.) - I find this compromise unacceptable, I bought this device to use it with all its glory.

- Using a larger extended battery - I find this solution unacceptable, since in order for a poweruser to get through the day, at least a 3000mah battery is required. Such a battery, although exist for the S2, adds significant weight and bulk. The device becomes ugly and uncomfortable to carry around.

- Upgrading to a device with much better battery life - currently there are two, the Motorola Maxx, which I find ugly, and the Samsung Note 2, which is realy big to handle...

So, after much thought and experimentation, I finally want to report my success story (yes it's an old solution, but somehow most don't understand its enourmous power): I'm using a secondary battery. I bought another original 1650mah battery (with a seperate charger). The 1650mah battery is very light and small, so it easily fits inside my very small wallet. When I need to switch (middle day), I clocked the switch at just under 60 seconds (from pressing the power off button, to being able to fully use the device again with a fresh battery including the rubber case installed).

This is such a simple solution, it has practically zero drawbacks (If you don't mind losing 60 seconds of your life everyday...), it gives you the equivalent of a 3300mah battery (which is much more than any extended battery advertized as being 3300mah, even Mugen's), yet so few people use it...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Noam23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kuljit55
Old
Thanks Meter 178
wowwww you wrote all this just to tell us you have a secondary battery.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to kuljit55 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Noam23
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
I know, it seems like an overkill but really, I spent 1.5 years trying to solve the S2 battery problem without huge compromises (and everything else apart from a secondary battery is a huge compromise), and I can only regret I didn't read a post like mine...

Adam Hui
Old
Thanks Meter 154
u wasted ur 1,5 years for just a secondary batt??? do u know how funny u're...
how about having a micro USB powerbank??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Adam Hui For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dark Emotion
Old
Thanks Meter 1,207

DONATE TO ME
S 2's battery actually doesn't suck. It is better than most of android phones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

HTC Hero GSM > Samsung Galaxy SII i9100 > Google Nexus 4

kuljit55
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam23 View Post
I know, it seems like an overkill but really, I spent 1.5 years trying to solve the S2 battery problem without huge compromises (and everything else apart from a secondary battery is a huge compromise), and I can only regret I didn't read a post like mine...
samsungs 2000mah extended battery iis realy good its just pricey

Donnie Sins
Old
Thanks Meter 579
Don't see how this 'sollution' is from a different category than the other ones you've stated.. It all depends on the user, and what he/she knows about saving battery without UC and stuff.
Maybe you would last longer with one battery if your stories would be shorter

Sent from the Matrix

Noam23
Old
(Last edited by Noam23; 15th January 2013 at 10:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Sins View Post
Don't see how this 'sollution' is from a different category than the other ones you've stated.. It all depends on the user, and what he/she knows about saving battery without UC and stuff.
Maybe you would last longer with one battery if your stories would be shorter

Sent from the Matrix
I thought I made it clear why the extra battery is a solution of a different category

- It allows you to have all the phone's features ON.
- It allows you to enjoy its comfortable, light and slick original design.
- It allows you to enjoy the equivalent of a *true* 3300mah battery.
- Minimal fuss (60 sec battery switch).

Nothing can come close to such a solution (for a power user who needs a long lasting phone). Practically no drawbacks, only benefits (in comparison to any other solution, which always present a severe compromise).

BAZZI_US
Old
(Last edited by BAZZI_US; 15th January 2013 at 10:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
I think it's rather a good advice, than a "solution". And indeed, this is a feature you will miss whent it's gone: The replaceable battery. I've bought the 2000 mAh battery by Samsung. So I have the greater battery plus a secondary one, if needed.
nexus 5
Android 4.4.4 - KitKat

Noam23
Old
(Last edited by Noam23; 15th January 2013 at 10:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZZI_US View Post
I think it's rather a good advice, than a "solution". And indeed, this is a feature you will miss whent it's gone: The replaceable battery. I boght the 2000 mAh battery by Samsung. So I have the greater battery plus a secondary one, if needed.
I agree, the word "advice" is more appropriate

Btw, are the 1650mah and 2000mah batteries interchangeable ? I thought they use different battery cover...