5,594,221 Members 45,395 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Display problem/yellowish left side

Tip us?

Erethnor
Old
(Last edited by Erethnor; 21st November 2011 at 10:37 PM.) Reason: GSMarena coverage of the problem
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default Display problem/yellowish left side

Just got my new SGS2 3 days ago, really liking it but stumbled into a screen problem and would like to know if it's just me/it's normal/I need to change a setting to fix the problem.

Just like the title says, the left side (about 1/3) of my screen changes the colour of the image to a more yellowish tint. This seems to happen just when the brightness is quite low, and tends to disappear when close to 100%.
It is rather subtle, but can be seen where there's white text on a darker background (white characters become darker the closer they are to the left border), or when looking at an uniform colour.

I created this test page to make the problem more apparent: http://fiddle.jshell.net/qFxsC/1/show/
When visiting it on the S2 browser and setting browser brightness to around 20%, it becomes quite visible.
Anybody else with the same problem?

EDIT:
We still DO NOT have pictures of a phone WITHOUT the problem described above!
If you believe your SGS2 has a perfect screen, please post pics of the notification area taken in the dark at both 0-20% brightness and 100% brightness!

UPDATE
Various websites have started to talk about this problem, linking to this thread:
- http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/05/3...w-on-the-left/
- http://pocketnow.com/android/samsung...le-in-paradise
- http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/201...-masse-report/
- http://gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s...-news-2719.php

I have just sent an email to GSMarena asking if they could check the unit they reviewed to see if it has the same problem. Of all the phone reviews I have seen, theirs seems to be the most focused on image quality, I'm sure that if their unit doesn't have this problem, they would be able to take clear shots of a flawless screen.

EDIT:
GSMarena took screens of their unit using the above test link, and while so far I believe theirs is the best looking display that we have seen so far, it *STILL* has the problem.
I am going to link this thread to samsung UK next, in the hopes they will give an official answer acknowledging the problem.

EDIT:
latest firmwares seem to fix this problem or at least make it much less noticeable.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erethnor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BuboBriff
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Take it straight back and swap it. Seems to be a growing amount of people on here, including myself, with various dodgy screen issues.

B

SBS_
Old
(Last edited by SBS_; 14th May 2011 at 11:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
The screen doesn't look perfect if you look at a uniform color on the whole screen + low brightness, but... well I don't tend to use it much for that. Could be a limitation in OLED production-technology getting all the pixels to have exactly the same brightness/color etc.

edit:

To answer directly to the question here, no I don't have a yellowish left side. It's just not completely uniform across the whole screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBS_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Quist
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I've got this same thing. I first noticed it when using Estrongs file explorer. I always have my screen turned down to 0% to save battery, but didn't notice this anywhere else yet (at least I didn't think about it).

Your posted image does show it clear.

What to do? Could you others comment whether you've seen this? Go to the OP's posted link and set your brightness down to 0%.

Erethnor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quist View Post
I've got this same thing. I first noticed it when using Estrongs file explorer. I always have my screen turned down to 0% to save battery, but didn't notice this anywhere else yet (at least I didn't think about it).

What to do? Could you others comment whether you've seen this? Go to the OP's posted link and set your brightness down to 0%.
I tried to mess around with settings such as auto adjust screen power etc, but the only thing that seems to fix it is crank up the brightness.
We obviously can't keep it anywhere close to 100% tho, this phone sucks battery down quickly already at 0%!

Another thing you can do to check if you have this screen problem is call *#*#0*#*#*
This will make the phone go in the diagnostic program, and if you try the white diagnostic, you can somewhat see the problem, although not quite as clearly as in the test web page I posted above.

I'm considering to return the phone, as it doesn't seem to be getting better, despite having read that some screen problems might go away after a few days.

Seabass1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mine is exactly the same. It's noticeable at the lowest brightness setting, however if I increase the brightness even slightly it pretty much disappears for general use. It's still there but not really enough to bother me.

On the OP's link I changed the brightness through several settings and at certain brightness levels the whole screen gets a yellow tint. Not necessarily related to the left side of the screen having a yellow tint, apart from I guess a lack of brightness of the blue subpixels relative to the red and green.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but I think it has improved slightly on mine over the past week. However if it gets any worse I think a warranty claim will be in order.

Quist
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Hhrrmm, I'm in a catch-22 here. There's generally a grace period for any manufacturing errors like this where you can quickly get a replacement just by returning it to the vendor. Problem is, my vendor won't be getting any new units in for another two weeks.

r_a_c
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quist View Post

I don't see it clearly on the link he posted.

But i do see it in the notification screen. The grey area is slightly darker/yellow tint on the left site. Even when i put it on maximum brightness you could see it. Especially when you first concentrate your eyes on the right side for 5 seconds and than on the left side.
I do seem to notice it on the notification grey slider where your finger is on when you pull it down, on the left side the grey is a little bit "darker" than on the right side of mt finger.

I tend to think I can also see it on the keyboard, whereas the Q has different grey than P on the opposite of the screen...

Anybody could check this out on their phone??

Thanks in advance!

Quist
Old
Thanks Meter 11
As time goes by, it feels like my problem is getting worse, although it may only be due to me being aware of it.

Also began noticing it in the pull-down message field. Now I see it against white backgrounds as well, almost like a faint green-grey shadow.

I've contacted my vendor and requested an RMA and replacement. They're sending me a shipping slip to send it to them "for control" then they'll contact me on my options from there. Can only hope they see it as clearly as I do and that they send me a new phone as a replacement rather than repair/refurb crap.

Think this is the last time I buy electronics online. I saved 20% off retail on this one, but having the option to do a walk-in replacement at a brick-n-mortar store would have been worth the higher price. <sigh>

TechNoir
Old
(Last edited by TechNoir; 16th May 2011 at 10:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
I've got the same thing aswell, a slightly yellow/brown-tinted shade towards the left side of the display. Also visible for example in the market menues, the white areas seem to be very slightly darker towards the left side.

Not sure I am bothered about it enough to return it, doesn't bother me unless I specifically look for it. Also it really is very slight.

The Following User Says Thank You to TechNoir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
crying over nothing, display problem, iphone lovers here, winning, yellow tint, yellow tint fix