Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 41,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Display problem/yellowish left side

Tip us?

LawAce
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Fingers crossed my phone doesn't have this when I get it, or any of the other problems...

Seems at this rate though I'm pretty much preparing to return it for a refund....

eallan
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawAce View Post
Fingers crossed my phone doesn't have this when I get it, or any of the other problems...

Seems at this rate though I'm pretty much preparing to return it for a refund....
The phone is incredible, except for this one issue.

I think the build quality is great, so far beyond the Atrix even though they're both plastic.

It's thin, light, and sleek. Fantastic phone. I just don't know what to do about this one problem.

eallan
Old
Thanks Meter 93
What is the consensus here? Is it worth trying to get one without the issue?

TechNoir
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eallan View Post
What is the consensus here? Is it worth trying to get one without the issue?
I've emailed by retailer and Samsung to see if they have any more info than we have in this thread. Will get back here with any info I receive from them.

eallan
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
I've emailed by retailer and Samsung to see if they have any more info than we have in this thread. Will get back here with any info I receive from them.
Thank you. I have started the return process myself.

sunseaker
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Do think burning the screens in would help? Maybe leaving the screen permanently on overnight for a couple of nights whiltst on the charger with a slideshow of various colours rotating may help. Just clutching at straws lol.

eallan
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseaker View Post
Do think burning the screens in would help? Maybe leaving the screen permanently on overnight for a couple of nights whiltst on the charger with a slideshow of various colours rotating may help. Just clutching at straws lol.
Doubtful, I'm sure they were already "burnt in" at the factory.

It's odd how it's the left side for all of us...

TechNoir
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Doubtful, I'm sure they were already "burnt in" at the factory.

It's odd how it's the left side for all of us...

Exactly, for a potential defect, if that is indeed the case, it really is very consistent. Also doesn't seem to be worse on the left top section or left bottom section, but very uniform across the left side. Without having any info at all about the manufacturing process, I am think if the displays are stored at some point tilted to their left side, causing some glue to become very slightly thicker on that side as it cures, and if this is indeed the same situation as for the iPhone, could potentially fade away after some use. Or another of any number of factors potentially at play. Who knows, but isn't the manufacturing of high technology fascinating?

Because of these types of potential factors it would be beneficial to Samsung to look into this and provide some quick info. If this is potentially a temporary thing which will fade away in a matter of days /a week or two, it would be good for users to get that info, so that Samsung doesn't get returns for phones that just need a bit of running in.

eallan
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
Exactly, for a potential defect, if that is indeed the case, it really is very consistent. Also doesn't seem to be worse on the left top section or left bottom section, but very uniform across the left side. Without having any info at all about the manufacturing process, I am think if the displays are stored at some point tilted to their left side, causing some glue to become very slightly thicker on that side as it cures, and if this is indeed the same situation as for the iPhone, could potentially fade away after some use. Or another of any number of factors potentially at play. Who knows, but isn't the manufacturing of high technology fascinating?

Because of these types of potential factors it would be beneficial to Samsung to look into this and provide some quick info. If this is potentially a temporary thing which will fade away in a matter of days /a week or two, it would be good for users to get that info, so that Samsung doesn't get returns for phones that just need a bit of running in.
Excellent points.

Working in manufacturing myself as an engineer (albeit much larger things), i'm always fascinated to learn about the process.

It would be great to hear from samsung on this, please do update us with anything you hear.

I'm hesitant to send it back because everything else is PERFECT with this phone. No dead pixels, no other issues of any kind.

It is indeed the whole left side, uniformly, like a gradient effect. Almost like they come out of a heat treat and the left side stays in longer or something.

Very odd....

r_a_c
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Excellent points.

Working in manufacturing myself as an engineer (albeit much larger things), i'm always fascinated to learn about the process.

It would be great to hear from samsung on this, please do update us with anything you hear.

I'm hesitant to send it back because everything else is PERFECT with this phone. No dead pixels, no other issues of any kind.

It is indeed the whole left side, uniformly, like a gradient effect. Almost like they come out of a heat treat and the left side stays in longer or something.

Very odd....
Yeah don't want to send it back either. I do also have the grey-pink problem and the banding, but people say i's software(but some don't have it)

I also have the pink spot on the camera, but again people saying it is software. But on the other side some people not having it.

Don't want to send mine in to get a worse one, like dead pixels or stuff if this just resolves over time.

Samsung should tell us if our phones are allright or not.

Tags
crying over nothing, display problem, iphone lovers here, winning, yellow tint, yellow tint fix