Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 48,130 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Display problem/yellowish left side

Tip us?
 
DuoM
Old
#501  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 218
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
I'm guessing you do. Using the gray background at 20% test, no one's been able to post a pic that doesn't show a discoloration on the left side. When I first read this thread I would have sworn I didn't have it. I really couldn't (still can't) see it with the naked eye. But when I took a picture of the phone I saw it.

In the pics I just posted using apps someone said they saw the issue with I can't see it (can anyone else?). So I guess the real question is what does it mean in everyday usage under normal conditions?
Are you saying that in your case you can't see it with the naked eye but only with a camera?
 
Jade Eyed Wolf
Old
#502  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 403
Posts: 1,246
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arlington Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
I'm guessing you do. Using the gray background at 20% test, no one's been able to post a pic that doesn't show a discoloration on the left side. When I first read this thread I would have sworn I didn't have it. I really couldn't (still can't) see it with the naked eye. But when I took a picture of the phone I saw it.

In the pics I just posted using apps someone said they saw the issue with I can't see it (can anyone else?). So I guess the real question is what does it mean in everyday usage under normal conditions?
Soooo, wait, lemme make sure I understand this correctly: You can't really see the problem with the naked eye, and you still can't see it even now, and the only way it ever shows up is when you use a camera to take a picture of your screen, and even then only under certain brightness levels, certain ambient light scenarios, and on certain shades of grey...

So, remind me again, what exactly is the problem?


P.S. I'm not really trying to be a smart ass here or anything. Believe me, I am really hardcore about anything I have to look at or look through (screens, windows, glasses, etc.), so if there's even some kind of minor defect here, I'm really concerned about that. However, if you're basically telling me that this issue is invisible to the naked eye, then as far as my naked eyes are concerned, there is no problem. That's all...
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#503  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4123
Posts: 8,631
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Eyed Wolf View Post
You can't really see the problem with the naked eye...
I can only speak for myself and I can't see it with the naked eye. I've never seen another SGS2 so I don't know if the issue comes in varying degrees of severity. I got involved in this thread because I posted that my phone was fine and the OP said prove it. When I took the pic I saw the discoloration that's being discussed. No one's been able to post a pic that doesn't show the discoloration so I'm not questioning that it's there either by design or as a defect. Others like me probably want to know what it means in real life which is why I posted pics and asked the people that were most vocal to post something other than a test background showing the issue. And that brings us to today...
 
eallan
Old
#504  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 93
Posts: 1,312
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Eyed Wolf View Post
Soooo, wait, lemme make sure I understand this correctly: You can't really see the problem with the naked eye, and you still can't see it even now, and the only way it ever shows up is when you use a camera to take a picture of your screen, and even then only under certain brightness levels, certain ambient light scenarios, and on certain shades of grey...

So, remind me again, what exactly is the problem?


P.S. I'm not really trying to be a smart ass here or anything. Believe me, I am really hardcore about anything I have to look at or look through (screens, windows, glasses, etc.), so if there's even some kind of minor defect here, I'm really concerned about that. However, if you're basically telling me that this issue is invisible to the naked eye, then as far as my naked eyes are concerned, there is no problem. That's all...
I'm his counterpart. It's by no means disastrous, but I noticed it with both of my phones within minutes of normal use. That's my problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#505  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4123
Posts: 8,631
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eallan View Post
I'm his counterpart. It's by no means disastrous, but I noticed it with both of my phones within minutes of normal use. That's my problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
You know what's funny eallan, if you posted that this bothered you and people started flaming you for it I'd be the first to leap to your defense. You have very high expectations and this phone is certainly not cheap. Without a doubt there are people that share your standards and, knowing what we now know, wouldn't purchase the phone because of it. So, you've actually helped them. I got rid of a two week old G2X because it had LCD screen bleed in the corners (among other issues) and it was driving me nuts. So, I'm not totally without standards either. Sharing a range of perspectives allows people to see where there expectations fall and make informed decisions. That's always good and what discussion forums are for.
 
DuoM
Old
#506  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 218
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
I can only speak for myself and I can't see it with the naked eye. I've never seen another SGS2 so I don't know if the issue comes in varying degrees of severity. I got involved in this thread because I posted that my phone was fine and the OP said prove it. When I took the pic I saw the discoloration that's being discussed. No one's been able to post a pic that doesn't show the discoloration so I'm not questioning that it's there either by design or as a defect. Others like me probably want to know what it means in real life which is why I posted pics and asked the people that were most vocal to post something other than a test background showing the issue. And that brings us to today...
Then if you, your family, your friends and your colleagues can't see it with the naked eye, whether at 0%, 10% or whatever, then as you said originally you don't have a problem.

Cameras can see parts of the spectrum that the human eye cannot and they can pick up things that we can't.

The phone was designed for humans and in your case it seems to be fine so you shouldn't worry about it. Colonel Steve Austin, on the other hand, is going to be very dissapointed with his SGS II.

Sent from my Hero using XDA App
 
icet69
Old
#507  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 44
Join Date: Oct 2010
I my case it was noticable in every day usage. So I send it back.
When the defect is solved I'll buy another one.
 
Nurra
Old
#508  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 189
Join Date: Apr 2008
I finally see the the yellow tint thing. But it doesn't border me because I had to sent the screen brightness to the lowest level and even used the screen filter app to set the brightness level extremely low for if to be noticeable. So I dont think this is a big problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
 
razpowa
Old
#509  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Apr 2010
I can see the problem on almost every screen, even with maximum brightness...
Unfortunately, the store where i bought the device doesn't allow to rma on products that had the seal broken (i had to broke the box seal to turn on the device, as it is obvious) and says that will only allow me to replace it if samsung replaces devices with this problem...

So, or i sell it and lose some money, or i need to lose time to create a software screen filter...which probably will not be good enough to present a good quality image...
 
simacca
Old
#510  
simacca's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 969
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kent, uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm111 View Post
it happens on dark greys, not white.
I think I may have a slight yellow tint on the left hand side, but I only notice it if I really look for it.

I'm more concerned about the blue tint when I tilt my screen.

I briefly had an SGS1 last year which had a terrible mesh effect on grey backgrounds, which thankfully I cannot see on this model

Tags
crying over nothing, display problem, iphone lovers here, winning, yellow tint, yellow tint fix
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes