OP dk206

5th May 2011, 03:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, United Kingdom
Thanks Meter: 84

710 posts
More
Hello XDA.

These are NOT MAJOR problems for me personally. The phone is brilliant, blazing fast. However if I had to pick out things I disliked/gripes these would be it. And will update if I or we happen to find more.

__________________________________________________ _________________
Hardware

- MicroSD and Sim slot has switched places from original SGS
Its more common to take the MicroSD out than the SIM card. Have to take the battery out just to insert/take out my MicroSD!!!

- Camera prone to scratches
The little platform that the camera is raised on is prone to scratches.Laying on a table the phone virtually rests on the camera lens! Comparing with the SGS the case takes the damage.
A good temporary way would be to stick a bit leftover from invisishield onto where the "8.0 MEGA" sign is and let that take the weight and scratches.

- Gap in Speaker
I don't know if you've noticed but there is a GIANT GAP between the slits of the cover and the internals underneath it. And unlike the SGS I. There is noway to reach inside it get get dirt/bits out. Is a big whole waiting to collect dust IMHO. :S

- Lack of Base comparing to the SGS I
I have to say the speakers on SGS II imho is not better than SGS I. Maybe there was a bit of compromise in the design?
On the original SGS you couldn't listen to it whilst on the table or sofa.
Now on the SGS II there is a massive gap between the outer chasis and the internal speaker inside so you can listen to music perfectly without any muffling when laid on a surface which is a GOOD THING. However there seems to be a real lack of base comparing with the SGS I.

- No cover for MicroUSB slot
Again dust prone. Why they took that feature out from the Original sgs I don't know.

- Did not come with USB2go or HDMI cable EDIT: Samsung Infuse 4G has a USB2Go adapter included in box!
I know they didn't advertise this as one of the strongest points but a little disappointed that it didn't come with it. I actually asked about this at CPW on launch day but the accessories were still all boxed up so couldn't take a look.

- Some people having problems with Screen
Pixel/Lines appearing and disapperaing. But looking at this forum and others only a minority/rare case and I personally don't have this problem on my SGS II.
__________________________________________________ _________________
Software

- Flash videos
Problems with BBC iPlayer, video stuttering. A faint mesh background when you watch any flash embedded videos using the stock browser.
TRY TESTING THIS YOURSELF. Play a video which has a white if not a bright coloured background.

- Menu Key vibration in Game Hub
It is excessively long and loud unlike any other hubs or just when you press the menu key.

- Low call volume when using personal head phones. CONFIRMED
Last edited by dk206; 11th May 2011 at 06:13 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dk206 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2011, 03:51 PM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 41

84 posts
More
yeah, I've noticed these things too... but since I wasn't an original sgs owner didn't think too much of it. I actually noticed the deep speaker gap when I saw something just inside.... had to fish it out with a toothpick?!
5th May 2011, 04:26 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

207 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk206

- Camera is a real worry. The little platform that the camera is raised on is prone to scratches. I don't like cases and I tried sticking the bits left out of my Invisishield screen protector onto the back cover but it doesn't seem to stick on...I was trying to stack a a neat circle of invisishield at the sides of the camera so when placed down on a desk/table it wouldn't scratch

Doesn't the camera has also gorilla glass?
Otherwise it is a big worry
5th May 2011, 04:37 PM   |  #4  
Flag Carlisle
Thanks Meter: 31

126 posts
More
My negatives so far are

* Flash videos are not smooth on BBC iPlayer, even using the official iPlayer app.
* Camera shutter noise cannot be disabled
* Some popular games are not working, NFS Shift, Dungeon Defenders etc
* No LED for email/sms notifications
* Phone vibrates loudly when fully charged - waking me up at 4 am
5th May 2011, 04:39 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4,425

23,044 posts
[QUOTE=dk206;13498823]These are NOT MAJOR problems
Negative points for me

- MicroSD and Sim slot has switched places. Its more common to take the MicroSD out than the SIM card. Now I have to take the battery out just to insert/take out my MicroSD!!!

Not a problem i take sd card out once a year at most .

- No cover for MicroUSB slot again dust prone. Why they took that feature out from the Original sgs I don't know.

Odd that maybe they think wont attract dust as its on the bottom .

- USB2GO cable didn't come with the box!
Not expecting it to

jje
5th May 2011, 04:50 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

710 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hung77

Doesn't the camera has also gorilla glass?
Otherwise it is a big worry

Dunno. I bets not. Hope so but yeah, the glass edges mounted on the silver chrome is just waiting to get scratched! :S

@jgittins
Agree with the LED not having notification functions.
But the rest of the issues can be software-fixed and will improve in time e.g games compatibility. Remember the SGS II just came out. Like-wise maybe bbc iPlayer is not yet tailored for the SGS II. Strange though, my Carphonewarehouse phone did come with it installed. I'll check this out.

As for phone vibrating loud turn the vibration down in settings.

Camera shutter sound even on silent, yes I can confirm too that it is not working for me too. I'm on CPW (sim-free unlocked) firmware
5th May 2011, 04:53 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

710 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan

- USB2GO cable didn't come with the box!
Not expecting it to

jje

yeah agree they are not major problems like I've said. I just tried focusing on the h/w problems which might be hard to change/alter unlike software problems.

The cable tbh I expected it to come with it.
The box is smaller than the Galaxy S which I applaud Samsung environmental/wasting less resources but for a 500Pounds phone...disappointed nonetheless.
5th May 2011, 05:05 PM   |  #8  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,198

19,371 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk206

Dunno. I bets not. Hope so but yeah, the glass edges mounted on the silver chrome is just waiting to get scratched! :S

@jgittins
Agree with the LED not having notification functions.
But the rest of the issues can be software-fixed and will improve in time e.g games compatibility. Remember the SGS II just came out. Like-wise maybe bbc iPlayer is not yet tailored for the SGS II. Strange though, my Carphonewarehouse phone did come with it installed. I'll check this out.

As for phone vibrating loud turn the vibration down in settings.

Camera shutter sound even on silent, yes I can confirm too that it is not working for me too. I'm on CPW (sim-free unlocked) firmware

Since screen is SAMOLED you can get an app to flash a couple of pixels with minimal power drain IIRC

RE the vibration, if it's annoying, I'll find a way to stop it by hacking the framework if required...
5th May 2011, 05:24 PM   |  #9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 133

954 posts
More
Hmm nothing really sticks out as bad or negative, personally just gripes.

Also annoyed by the SD card being ballache to remove, I'd prefer a external access port.

I'd prefer Samsung not stamping there name front and back, on the back would have been fine, I'm well aware of what i bought it doesn't need a f'in label.

Disappointed with the hotspot on the camera CCD. had this on the HD2, Desire etc.

I don't like the lack of a notification LED

The clicking of the hardware key sounds cheap IMHO.

16gb storage, hmm 2gb apps 2.5gb unaccounted for? 500mb Rom 500mb Rom backup? even at that rate, still missing 1.5gb ???

Battery life isn't what i hoped for, can't get anywhere near other users standby times

USB2GO not included nor HDMI lead?

all in all i am happy but a few adjustments and it would have been perfect, literally
5th May 2011, 05:26 PM   |  #10  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 25

186 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgittins

My negatives so far are

* Camera shutter noise cannot be disabled
* Phone vibrates loudly when fully charged - waking me up at 4 am

Those two drawbacks are actually disturbing, as SGS has an option to disable shutter sound from within camera settings.
I also remember, that in previous, first Froyo firmwares for SGS it was also vibrating at night when charged.
Samsung fixed it with newer firmwares and this problem was gone.

I wouldn't worry about this just yet, I think those two maybe fixed in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to valdigre For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread