Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 46,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GPU] Tegra 2 vs Exynos

Tip us?

erahk64
Old
(Last edited by erahk64; 21st March 2011 at 10:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan View Post
Well for all it's worth... I remember a promo pic for the Galaxy 2 at MWC: http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg...marena_009.jpg

Claiming a 5x performance increase over the SGX540 from their Quad core Mali-400 will obliterate the ULV Geforce since the tegra2's chip can barely beat the SGX540 as it stands now. Of course this isn't real life performance numbers, samsung is just probably simply quoting how many triangles/sec each setup can push and taking the ratio, which doesn't always translate to real world usage.

Either way, I have my money on samsung's quad core mali-400 over tegra 2. I have an Atrix, quite frankly it sucks, way below expectations. My Nexus S underclocked at 800mhz outperforms it in every 3D game I've tried. The Galaxy 2 will be my next phone. **** locked bootloaders and ****ty LCD screens, I'll live with slightly worse GPU performance for better ROM availability and SAMOLED plus. =)

I just hope the poor tegra 2 performance in games is due to the games not being optimized for Tegra right now. I've tried a few of the tegra optimized games as well and they don't seem particularly better than other games, though...
The benchmarks are updated and Exynos at higher screen resolution has much better score now than Atrix, Xoom and Galaxy S.
The score would be even higher at lower screen resolution.
It just proves that benchmarks can be unreliable and it's better to test performance during
normal usage of the released product.

GL benchmark Odroid-A tablet with Exynos 4210 (Exynos 4210 is used in SGS2):
http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.js...and=Hardkernel

GL benchmark Galaxy S:
http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.js...&brand=Samsung

Motorola Xoom and Atrix:
http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.js...brand=Motorola
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erahk64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

horusray
Old
(Last edited by horusray; 22nd March 2011 at 06:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Got a quick question: If your country were to get the Tegra2/SLCD version, would you pre-order it from other countries for the Exynos/SAMOLED+ version?

It's been bugging me ever since I heard Exynos and possibly SAMOLED+ won't be packed in the North American version......

Both Exynos & SAMOLED+ display seem to make a difference, and it makes S2 really stands out in the 2011 smartphone battle.

What do you guys think?

(Btw, I've been eligible for a phone upgrade since January 1st...)

sckc23
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by horusray View Post
Got a quick question: If your country were to get the Tegra2/SLCD version, would you pre-order it from other countries for the Exynos/SAMOLED+ version?

It's been bugging me ever since I heard Exynos and possibly SAMOLED+ won't be packed in the North American version......

Both Exynos & SAMOLED+ display seem to make a difference, and it makes S2 really stands out in the 2011 smartphone battle.

What do you guys think?

I'll definitely go for Exynos/SAMOLED+. was a bit concerned about the performance of Mali 400 but recent benchmark suggest it is way ahead of GeForce in Tegra and I personally prefer amoled to lcd screen. Juz hope this is coming to uk not the Tegra/LCD ones..

Beards
Old
Thanks Meter 879
Quote:

What do you guys think?

Put it this way ~ You can always improve the Exynos but a screen is a screen.
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.

lgkahn
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:

What do you guys think?

yes .. i did preorder it from the uk.. i never get the phones offered by carrier.. i know it costs more.. but i also only pay 10.00 unlimted data with att.
so it is maybe a wash.

axesd
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Man, I would like to get a treatment of the Exynos in the US!

touness69
Old
(Last edited by touness69; 24th March 2011 at 12:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 49
OMG I figured out that there is a version with a "Galaxy S II" logo at the back ! O_O

Maybe this is the version with the exynos coz it's wonderful with that logo, the other versions without that logo at the back now seems like a fake for me lol damn this thing is so gorgeous like that

Virtue94
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by touness69 View Post
OMG I figured out that there is a version with a "Galaxy S II" logo at the back ! O_O

Maybe this is the version with the exynos coz it's wonderful with that logo, the other versions without that logo at the back now seems like a fake for me lol damn this thing is so gorgeous like that
Wow I absolutely hate how there's a logo there now. I was happy with it when it just said Samsung.

ryude
Old
Thanks Meter 643

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue94 View Post
Wow I absolutely hate how there's a logo there now. I was happy with it when it just said Samsung.
+1 the Galaxy S II logo looks so tacky, I'd rather it not be there.
Current phone: LG Nexus 5

Previous phones
Iphone 3G > T-Mobile G1 > Samsung Captivate > Samsung Focus > Samsung Galaxy SII> Nokia Lumia 920 > HTC 8X > Sony Xperia ZL

amtrakcn
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2411 View Post
So far tegra 2 is winning in demo and specs. same processor speed and has 8 core gpu. Even in demo is better then exynos. Now i am hoping tegra 2 will come to US or i have to buy it unlock. Its prob why apple drop exynos and went with there own.

Tegra2 is not winning anything except advertisement on tech sites.
the CPU part lacks NEON and no DDR3 support
GPU is medicore and similar to the performance of last generation Hummingbird