Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 39,940 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Alternate to Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi Network for your Android Device

Tip us?
 
Harsha Raj
Old
#11  
Harsha Raj's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Posts: 4,218
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoleng View Post
nice tutorial!

but on my dell latitude laptop, (I am using vista) I cannot find "hostednetwork" under netsh>wlan>set.

I can only see the following under set:
autoconfig
blockednetworks
createalluserprofile
profileorder
profileparameter
tracing
Virtual WiFi adapter is Windows 7/8 feature only. Upgrade the OS Vista is buggy actually.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Motorola Moto G Dual SIM - ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock

 
idoleng
Old
#12  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 73
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default adhoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha Raj View Post
Virtual WiFi adapter is Windows 7/8 feature only. Upgrade the OS Vista is buggy actually.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2


reminds me of one software I was trying before(when trying to activate adhoc also) I think it was connectify but not sure. it can only be used also in windows 7 only.

thanks anyway. I hope android includes this on their future updates.
ROM: cMIUI 2.8.3
Kernel: Siyah 3.4.1
Modem: XXLPS
 
Harsha Raj
Old
#13  
Harsha Raj's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Posts: 4,218
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoleng View Post


reminds me of one software I was trying before(when trying to activate adhoc also) I think it was connectify but not sure. it can only be used also in windows 7 only.

thanks anyway. I hope android includes this on their future updates.
Yup its connectify. It works in Vista but in Vista is ad hoc only. Even that software requires windows 7 or above for Virtual WiFi.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Motorola Moto G Dual SIM - ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock

 
oliaros
Old
#14  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Sep 2012
[QUOTE=Harsha Raj;32654279]Well but the thing is virtual wifi adapter is much for efficient and secured than ad hoc network. Even if you want to set up the ad hoc it will take the same amount of procedure. Just that you will be using the GUI and not the command prompt. But do note that windows 8 has no ad hoc feature

Only draw back of the this method is that you need wifi adapter supporting virtual wifi and you should be on Windows 7/8.


as i'm running xp i cannot use virtual wi-fi. my aim is just to connect to the internet, when my laptop has a connection. maybe someone patches the wpa_supplicant ...
oliaros
 
Harsha Raj
Old
#15  
Harsha Raj's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Posts: 4,218
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliaros View Post
as i'm running xp i cannot use virtual wi-fi. my aim is just to connect to the internet, when my laptop has a connection. maybe someone patches the wpa_supplicant ...
oliaros
In that case hope someone comes with a patch just like they did for GB.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Motorola Moto G Dual SIM - ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock

 
neeraj.juneja
Old
#16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Aug 2012
Thumbs up All thanks to Harsha Raj

Initially there was some issue with 3rd step, but updating the wifi driver via device manager proved to be useful..
In the process Harsha Raj was very useful and he was giving continuous support..
Thanks, it is very useful to users like us who are not using Data plans.

Thanks a lot again buddy.
God Bless us all.
The Following User Says Thank You to neeraj.juneja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ottti
Old
#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Vielen Dank für diese super Anleitung.

Lange habe ich versucht, eine Lösung für das AdHoc Problem unter ICS zu finden. Diese Anleitung ist die perfekte Alternative.
Alles funktionierte genau wie beschrieben.


VG Ottti
 
Harsha Raj
Old
#18  
Harsha Raj's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Posts: 4,218
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottti View Post
Vielen Dank für diese super Anleitung.

Lange habe ich versucht, eine Lösung für das AdHoc Problem unter ICS zu finden. Diese Anleitung ist die perfekte Alternative.
Alles funktionierte genau wie beschrieben.


VG Ottti
This forum is English only

Quote:
Thanks for this great guide.

I have long been trying to find a solution to the problem under AdHoc ICS. This guide is the perfect alternative.
Everything worked exactly as described.

: Good:
VG Ottti0
You are welcome

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Motorola Moto G Dual SIM - ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock

 
Las0mbra
Old
#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default Thank You!

Great, just great! A working solution after I had 16 hours of headaches with the f*ing wpa_supplicant.

I don't like to sound over enthusiastic, but:

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!
 
Harsha Raj
Old
#20  
Harsha Raj's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1209
Posts: 4,218
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
Great, just great! A working solution after I had 16 hours of headaches with the f*ing wpa_supplicant.

I don't like to sound over enthusiastic, but:

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!
Had the same feeling when I found out the solution for first time

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Motorola Moto G Dual SIM - ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock


Tags
alternate ad hoc, virtual wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes