[GUIDE][Troubleshoot a failed Odin flash]

Search This thread

Penz89

Nov 14, 2009
I found a guide for Verizon Galaxy Note 3 makes boot device from sd card [HOWTO] Recover from a HARD BRICK [N900V] [MJE/NC2/NC4] http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-note-3/general/howto-recover-hard-brick-t2834419

This method may be useful...

I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR CORE METHOD. I APPLIED IT FOR OUR DEVICE !

To make long story short, I've hard bricked my device while trying to patch/unlock the bootloader after successfully flashing a custom kernel (this tripped knox counter). After reading all guides that addresses the problem for other devices, I'm posting a 100% working solution for the most hated disaster in the Android rooting/flashing world. Moreover, this is very promising info for testing bootloader exploits.

What is Hard Brick?

Hard brick is the state of android device that occurs when your device won’t boot/respond/charge at all. This is mainly caused by flashing corrupted firmware, damaged bootloader, incomplete flashing in Odin/Download mode, or interrupted OTA upgrade. You can't recover from hard brick by traditional methods since your phone is ~dead & you can't enter any Recovery or Download Modes; You'll need to use JTAG (expensive service), USB JIG (cheap, but no gurantee), or this free guide/files to get it repaired.

What do you need?

- Hard Bricked Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N900V)
- Micro SD Card: 4/8/16/32 GB micro SD card
- Unbrick Image: working dump with the same bootloader/version
- Image Writer: native commands on Linux/MacOSx or Win32 Disk Imager on Windows

How to recover?

1- Download Unbrick Image for your bootloader (MJE, NC2 or NC4) from here
2- If you're using Windows, download Win32 Disk Imager
3- Backup all files in the micro SD card you 'll use
4- Write the Unbrick Image to your micro SD card using Win32 Disk Imager or Linux/MacOSX commands
5- Remove battery, Insert micro SD card & then the battery
6- Hold Power + Home + Volume Down to enter Download Mode by bootloader on SD card
7- Flash Stock firmware via Odin & Enjoy

YOU MAY NEED TO TEST MICRO SD CARDS WITH DIFFERENT TYPES/SIZES & FORMAT AS EXFAT BEFORE WRITING AN UNBRICK IMAGE ACCORDING TO YOUR BOOTLOADER!

For Developer Edition, you need to create your own Unbrick Image since I can't share it for the device-specific bootloader. Just run this Unbrick Image Creator in recovery & it'll create "/sdcard/Unbrick_Files" in your internal SD card.

For more details, read the guides provided bellow in the credits section.

Downloads:

All files you may need are available in this folder.

Credits:

- designgears - for this guide
- Shabbypenguin - for this guide
- theramsey3 - for this guide
- dstruct2k - for this guide
- -Mr. X- - for this guide

Thanks to:

- @soundrizm - for creating the MJE image from his device
- @jrbxx7 - for creating the NC2 image from his device
- @K03WL3R - for creating the NC4 image from his device

XDA:DevDB Information
How to recover from a HARD BRICK, Tool/Utility for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Contributors
hsbadr

Version Information

Created 2014-08-01
Last Updated 2014-08-30

For other devices like S2 we need to create the S2 unbrick_files using Unbrick-Creator.zip in attachment.
Can someone with 4.1.2 firmware flash it in recovery and attach the output file?? Thanks.

Attachments

• Unbrick-Creator.zip
    120.3 KB · Views: 29

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
I found a guide for Verizon Galaxy Note 3 makes boot device from sd card [HOWTO] Recover from a HARD BRICK [N900V] [MJE/NC2/NC4] http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-note-3/general/howto-recover-hard-brick-t2834419

This method may be useful...

For other devices like S2 we need to create the S2 unbrick_files using Unbrick-Creator.zip in attachment.
Can someone with 4.1.2 firmware flash it in recovery and attach the output file?? Thanks.

This looks kinda cool... I can't flash the attachment because I don't own the device anymore.

Some info is needed though, does the Note 3 have a unified kernel and recovery, or are the recovery and kernel partitions able to be flashed independently of each other? Because unless the Note 3 also has a unified kernel and recovery... I'm not sure this will work without some serious modifications. But I'm still interested to know.
@Twiq, maybe this kind of thing is what you like doing? No pressure mate :good:

Reactions: Penz89

K03WL3R

Feb 25, 2012
This looks kinda cool... I can't flash the attachment because I don't own the device anymore.

Some info is needed though, does the Note 3 have a unified kernel and recovery, or are the recovery and kernel partitions able to be flashed independently of each other? Because unless the Note 3 also has a unified kernel and recovery... I'm not sure this will work without some serious modifications. But I'm still interested to know.

Note 3's(I'm just going to talk about the Verizon one) are able to flash separate kernels with a locked bootloader. MJE is jellybean, and if you go to a leaked firmware (NC2) then you can still flash the jellybean firmware. But if you took the official NC4 update. You are stuck to NC4 bootloader, but can flash NC2/NC4 kernels.

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
Note 3's(I'm just going to talk about the Verizon one) are able to flash separate kernels with a locked bootloader. MJE is jellybean, and if you go to a leaked firmware (NC2) then you can still flash the jellybean firmware. But if you took the official NC4 update. You are stuck to NC4 bootloader, but can flash NC2/NC4 kernels.

Ok from the sounds of things... this would require some serious modifications to use on S2 :p unfortunately it's above my skill set to do so, and not owning the device anymore means it's out of the question for me :(

Penz89

Nov 14, 2009

I'm not a developer and I do not know about these, I just found the guide and owning an old bricked S2 I wanted to test the guide :p .. thanks anyway ;)

Reactions: marjune23

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
I'm not a developer and I do not know about these, I just found the guide and owning an old bricked S2 I wanted to test the guide :p .. thanks anyway ;)

I'm no developer either, but I don't mind fiddling around. If I had my S2 still, I'd be flashing your file for sure :p sorry I can't really help out.

Reactions: marjune23

Twiq

Hello, so sorry i haven't got the time to do any of this..
However you cant use the flashable script attached directly for i9100, we need to adapt the mmcblk target and correct sizes for our bootloader.
Just for reference if anybody is interested to make changes, read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1959445

I can make a backup of my current bootloader, but i have 2 consideration for not doing it:
1. I modded the boot logo
2. I never updated to 4.1.2 firmware, so my bootloader might be the GB ones lol

Edit: you might want to backup only SBL1, SBL2, PARAM, KERNEL and RECOVERY blocks, wouldn't want EFS to be shared to other people :)

Last edited:

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
Hello, so sorry i haven't got the time to do any of this..
However you cant use the flashable script attached directly for i9100, we need to adapt the mmcblk target and correct sizes for our bootloader.
Just for reference if anybody is interested to make changes, read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1959445

I can make a backup of my current bootloader, but i have 2 consideration for not doing it:
1. I modded the boot logo
2. I never updated to 4.1.2 firmware, so my bootloader might be the GB ones lol

Yup, I figured that the mmcblk things will be modified. And thanks for stepping in here :)

At least you know your next project when you get bored :p

Reactions: marjune23 and Twiq
Dec 17, 2012
Hello guys! Device - Galaxy xcover (S5690)
Im unable to flash via odin, it alwys fails. I have put costume recovery wiped everything and flashed again but fails. Would try to put a costume rom but there isnt any :/...Even triend few odin versions on windows 7 and 8. So now dont know should i try with the PIT and if yes which one to use, would be great if anyone can help. Here some info...
On the device is flashed a costume rom for another phone that caused the brick.

g5690-fail-flash.png
[/IMG]

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> S5690XXLL1_S5690DBTLL1_S5690XXLL1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/010> Odin v.3 engine (ID:10)..
<ID:0/010> File analysis..
<ID:0/010> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/010> Initialzation..
<ID:0/010> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/010> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/010> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/010> PINMUX.bin
<ID:0/010> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/010> TIM_loke3.bin
<ID:0/010> TAVOR_DSP.bin
<ID:0/010> rf_plugin.bin
<ID:0/010> Bootlogo.img
<ID:0/010> zImage
<ID:0/010> ramdisk.img
<ID:0/010> ramdisk-recovery.img
<ID:0/010> system.img
<ID:0/010> pxafs.img
<ID:0/010> param.lfs
<ID:0/010> Arbel_CP.bin
<ID:0/010> FAIL!
<ID:0/010>
<ID:0/010> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Last edited:

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
This thread is on the S2 forums, not on the xcover forums. As such, nobody here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.......
You just have to keep on trying......
Find the right version of Odin for your device.
Try different USB cables.
Try different PC's.
Turn off ALL anti virus and firewall software.
Keep on trying ALL of the above until you have success.
Just remember that parts of the guide are device specific, and may not work on your phone.
ABOVE ALL.....leave the pit files alone for the below reasons.......
1) They are device specific, flash the wrong one and you are in a whole world of hurt.
2) if the Odin flash hasn't worked, what makes you think a pit flash will?
3) if a pit file flash fails, you could end up with a permanently bricked device.......

Dec 17, 2012
Yes true but cant find a thread about this phone :(
Anyway tnx for answering will keep trying, btw i found the right PIT file its name is "S5690_Marvell_Partition", so now coz i know is the right one, is there any danger to try with it? Thanks
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2662373
Here the guy suggested to use PIT so thought to try too.

Last edited:

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
Yes true but cant find a thread about this phone :(
Anyway tnx for answering will keep trying, btw i found the right PIT file its name is "S5690_Marvell_Partition", so now coz i know is the right one, is there any danger to try with it? Thanks
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2662373
Here the guy suggested to use PIT so thought to try too.
There's always a risk with most of the things that we do with our phones. Most of the time this is a small risk. Pit files have a bigger risk than most procedures, they seem to cause more problems (bricks) than I've seen for other procedures. Your choice.

If it were me, I wouldn't be flashing the pit until you try everything in the OP that is 'generic' (Not device specific), like Keith already said. But I'm afraid I can't help more than that, I've never even heard of your device, let alone have experience with one.

Sent from my Nexu5

Dec 17, 2012
Tried with PIT got same result :crying:
Edit:
Finally :D
"GT-S5690_XXKL1_XXKL1_PROKL1_home" found on a german forum, looks like only acceptable for odin and its not 1 file flash its 3 including PIT but guess would work without pit too.

Last edited:

Twiq

using odin has a looooooot of risk

of course.. and most of the ppls checking out this thread are the troubled ones..
as written on the OP :
Symptoms
This guide is for people who find themselves in the situation where:
  • The phone currently will not boot.

• The phone can only enter download mode (If it can’t do that, see the section below.)

• If, for whatever reason, an Odin flash fails.

• It assumes you know the basics of Odin flashing. If not, see here.

hispanico957

Mar 14, 2011
I follow your istructions:

Another option for i9100
If you have an i9100, probably the best option to flash is to flash 4.1.2 JellyBean leak. Huge thanks to It_ler for providing the file after it was lost during the shutdown of hosting site hotfile.com and re-hosting on his dev-host, and for keithross39 for re-hosting the file on his storage. Download it here: (Mediafire link), here (dev-host link) or here: Mega link. This is a 3-part firmware. It will wipe your device as it flashes, and in many cases this extra wipe while flashing contributes to a successful flash. To set this file up in Odin (as it is 3 parts): PDA = CODE_I9100XXLSJ.tar, PHONE = MODEM_I9100XXLS6.tar, and CSC = CSC_HOME_OXX_I9100OXXLS1.tar. As usual, do not tick 'repartition'.

but always i have :

1I1KzEc.png

Which is wrong ?

Thank
Hispa

P.S:
I follow this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54304006&postcount=1763

Last edited:

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
I follow your istructions:

Another option for i9100
If you have an i9100, probably the best option to flash is to flash 4.1.2 JellyBean leak. Huge thanks to It_ler for providing the file after it was lost during the shutdown of hosting site hotfile.com and re-hosting on his dev-host, and for keithross39 for re-hosting the file on his storage. Download it here: (Mediafire link), here (dev-host link) or here: Mega link. This is a 3-part firmware. It will wipe your device as it flashes, and in many cases this extra wipe while flashing contributes to a successful flash. To set this file up in Odin (as it is 3 parts): PDA = CODE_I9100XXLSJ.tar, PHONE = MODEM_I9100XXLS6.tar, and CSC = CSC_HOME_OXX_I9100OXXLS1.tar. As usual, do not tick 'repartition'.

but always i have :

Which is wrong ?

Thank
Hispa

P.S:
I follow this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54304006&postcount=1763

Time to follow all the rest of the instructions. Start from the very start of the guide, follow each and every step. Flashing the 3 part firmware is a good thing to try, but there are many other things to also check. Keep working through all of them. Good luck!

hispanico957

Mar 14, 2011
Ok thank i try:
Change the USB cable you’re using. Preferably, use the original cable that came with the phone. If you’re already using the original cable, change to another, genuine, S2 cable. Try at least 3 different cables. YES

Remove your phone case, if you're using one. I've seen cases which make it not possible for the cable to correctly sit in the USB port. YES

Try different USB ports on your computer. You have to be using a mainboard (powered) port. Try as many of those as you have on your computer. YES

Use different versions of Odin: Attached at the bottom of this post is a zip file containing versions 1.3, 1.83, 1.85, 3.04 3.06, and 3.07. Try them all, but particularly 1.3, 1.85, 3.04 and 3.07. Make sure to extract the Odin files before using them. YES

Reinstall the Samsung USB drivers. If you are using Windows 8, I strongly recommend you try Windows 7/XP. These drivers don’t usually work with Windows 8. (See here if you’re on Windows 8.) Otherwise, use the linked file. YES

Turn off all antivirus/antimalware/antispyware/firewalls. I advise downloading all files you need before doing this step so you’re not without antivirus whilst downloading files. I’m not responsible if you do manage to get a computer virus during this time. YES

Check the rom/kernel you download, making sure it’s not a corrupted file. The best way to do this is to check the MD5 sum using md5summer. If you don’t have the MD5 sum, then you can use WinRar, 7Zip, or IZarc to test the file. If any tests (MD5 or the 7Zip test) fail, then you need to re-download the file. Test the new file before using it. YES

Run Windows update on the computer you’re using. YES

I think that the last possibility is Flash a .pit file.... but which file ?

Hispa

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
No..........do yourself a favour and leave the pit files well alone........
As hopper8 said in the OP, if all other flashes have failed, why should a pit flash be any different?
And if a pit flash fails, you will have a totally unrecoverable phone........

Reactions: Hopper8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is provided for information only. I will not be held responsible if you cause any damage, software or hardware, to your phone by following the guide. You are choosing to follow this guide, and as such, you choose to accept any responsibility for any mishap that may occur.

WARNING: Do not follow this guide if you think (or even suspect) that your USB port may be faulty in any way (ie, slow charging, loose connection among other faults). If your USB port is faulty, it must be fixed before flashing, or you are in danger of hard-bricking your phone. If the connection to the computer fails even for a moment, at best the flash will fail, and at worst the phone will need a new motherboard. Either send it to a service centre, or here is a good place to start if you want to DIY.

WARNING #2: If at all possible, make sure you have a backup of your efs folder (using Hellcat's app, "kTool" from playstore). Efs is the folder which contains your imei. No imei =no signal. Flashing a ROM may corrupt the efs folder, in which case the backup will be invaluable. If you do not have a working backup of your efs folder, I am not responsible if you choose to follow this guide and your efs becomes corrupt.

Symptoms
    This guide is for people who find themselves in the situation where:

• The phone currently will not boot.

• The phone can only enter download mode (If it can’t do that, see the section below.)

• If, for whatever reason, an Odin flash fails.

• It assumes you know the basics of Odin flashing. If not, see here.

No download mode?
    If your phone won’t enter download mode, you can try three things:

• A USB jig. Don’t pin your hopes on this, they rarely succeed in this scenario.

• ‘Jump starting’ – You might need someone else to give you a hand for this. Take the battery out of your phone and wait 30 seconds. Now, press the button combination to enter download mode, and with this combination still depressed, get someone to put the battery back in. Hopefully this will jolt your phone into download mode.

• Take out the phone battery, and re-insert it, but don’t turn the phone on. Now, plug in the charger while holding the volume down button. Keep holding volume down till you enter download mode.
    If your phone won’t enter download mode, and will do nothing but get hot when you attempt to do anything to it (charge it, turn it on), then your motherboard is in need of replacement.

Your options
    I’ve seen a lot of people, when their Odin flash fails, either:

• Give up. Not a good option.

• Flash a .pit file. That should be used as an absolute last resort. There’s a lot to try before getting to that stage! If a flash of a .pit file fails in Odin, your phone is well and truly unrecoverable, and you will need a motherboard (MB) replacement.

• Send their phone to a service centre. That costs money (& you’re without a phone for a week or so).

• Read on and hopefully you will be able to recover your phone without spending anything.

What to do
    Keep flashing via Odin. You don't really have a choice. As for the files to flash: It’s worth trying to flash a range of stock ROM’s and custom kernels. I recommend downloading a stock firmware from Samfirmware for your device; either ICS 4.0.3 or JB 4.1.2. Stay away from 4.0.4 (research emmc brickbug if you’re interested.) See here for the stock ROM’s. Alternatively you can also download firmwares from xda. Make sure you’re using the correct firmware for your device variant and region (i9100, i9100g, i9100p etc).

As for custom kernels: If you manage to flash a custom kernel onto your phone, that gives you recovery (usually CWM for i9100), from which you can either restore a nandroid backup, or flash a custom ROM. ONLY for i9100: See here for Siyah kernel. If you were previously on ICS, flash ‘siyahkernel s2-v5.01’ from that link. If you were previously on JB stock, flash the ‘S2-v6.0beta5’. You want the .tar extension in both cases. If you were on a 4.2.2 or 4.3/4.3.1 ROM, see here. You want the file called "Kernel_Dorimanx-V9.43-[12-16]-[24-10]-TAR-FOR-ODIN.tar". None of the other files downloadable from that mirror are Odin-flashable. All files linked are for international I9100. Even still:

Your best bet is to continue to attempt to flash Stock ROMs for your model variant and region.

Another option for i9100
    If you have an i9100, probably the best option to flash is to flash 4.1.2 JellyBean leak. Huge thanks to It_ler for providing the file after it was lost during the shutdown of hosting site hotfile.com and re-hosting on his dev-host, and for keithross39 for re-hosting the file on his storage. Download it here: (Android File Host link) or here: Mega link. This is a 3-part firmware. It will wipe your device as it flashes, and in many cases this extra wipe while flashing contributes to a successful flash. To set this file up in Odin (as it is 3 parts): PDA = CODE_I9100XXLSJ.tar, PHONE = MODEM_I9100XXLS6.tar, and CSC = CSC_HOME_OXX_I9100OXXLS1.tar. As usual, do not tick 'repartition'.

Now that you have chosen a file to flash, continue on.

If Odin won't recognise the phone ...if it does, continue to 'Preliminary Steps'
    Firstly, keep trying. Many users will find that Odin will recognise the phone in download mode eventually, but this will take perseverance. Note that if you do get Odin to recognise your phone in download mode, attempt to flash a stock ROM then. Don't unplug it thinking 'you'll try again later'.

Things to try if the phone isn't recognised by Odin:

• Open Odin without the phone plugged in. Enter Download mode without the phone plugged in. Now, plug the phone in and wait a few seconds.
    Didn't work? Try again in a different USB port. Still didn't work? Try all the USB ports, and then a different computer. If that doesn't work:

• Uninstall the USB drivers using Revo Uninstaller. This program can remove the registry edits from the drivers, giving you a completely clean install of the drivers. Reinstall the USB drivers: Latest version here, or a "tried 'n true version here". Both are worth trying. If you are using Windows 8, I strongly recommend you try Windows 7/XP. These drivers don’t usually work with Windows 8. (See here if you’re on Windows 8.) Otherwise, use the linked file to the Samsung USB drivers.
    If you're still not having any luck, then follow these steps: (Credits to 4-2ndtwin)
    1. Turn off both the computer and phone. Fully shut down.
    2. Disconnect phone from computer: the USB cable from both the computer and phone.
    3. Boot up the computer. Log in and let it settle.
    4. Start up Odin and let it settle.
    5. Put phone in download mode.
    6. Connect phone to a USB port.

If that doesn't work, keep repeating those steps, with different USB ports on your PC/laptop. Change the USB cable you're using, multiple times (preferably use the cable that came with the phone). If all that doesn't work, start again at 'If Odin won't recognise the phone' on a different computer. Keep persevering :)

Now assuming you can get your phone into download mode, and is recognised by Odin:

Preliminary steps
    Odin failing a flash usually isn’t a failure of the software itself. It’s usually to do with the way the flash is set up. Before we get on to the troubleshooting steps: you must always- i.e. every flash:

• Run Odin as an administrator in Windows (only for Windows 7. This doesn’t apply for Windows XP). Yes, Odin is Windows only. If you use Linux/a Mac, you’ll need to use someone else’s Windows computer.

• Ensure Kies is installed on your computer but you must kill all Kies running services in the Windows task manager. Most people have 4 running continuously. I personally only have 2, so don’t stress if you can’t find 4 to kill.

• Make sure you're not using a USB hub of any description.

• Remove your phone case, if you're using one. I've seen cases which make it not possible for the cable to correctly sit in the USB port.

If you haven’t done those steps on your previous Odin flash, it’s worth flashing again making sure you do those three things. Still didn’t work?

Troubleshooting steps
    Things to do:

• Change the USB cable you’re using. Preferably, use the original cable that came with the phone. If you’re already using the original cable, change to another, genuine, S2 cable. Try at least 3 different cables.

• Remove your phone case, if you're using one. I've seen cases which make it not possible for the cable to correctly sit in the USB port.

• Try different USB ports on your computer. You have to be using a mainboard (powered) port. Try as many of those as you have on your computer.

• Use different versions of Odin: Attached at the bottom of this post is a zip file containing versions 1.3, 1.83, 1.85, 3.04 3.06, and 3.07. Try them all, but particularly 1.3, 1.85, 3.04 and 3.07. Make sure to extract the Odin files before using them.

• Turn off all antivirus/antimalware/antispyware/firewalls. I advise downloading all files you need before doing this step so you’re not without antivirus whilst downloading files. I’m not responsible if you do manage to get a computer virus during this time.

• Check the rom/kernel you download, making sure it’s not a corrupted file. The best way to do this is to check the MD5 sum using md5summer. If you don’t have the MD5 sum, then you can use WinRar, 7Zip, or IZarc to test the file. If any tests (MD5 or the 7Zip test) fail, then you need to re-download the file. Test the new file before using it.

• Run Windows update on the computer you’re using.

What now?
    Ok, so if you’ve got to the bottom of the list, but you’re still having failed flashes:

• Use a different computer. Now, run through the list again. Yes, the whole list. Try everything all over again on the new computer. Didn’t work? Try again on one more computer. Keep persevering, the feeling you’ll get when your S2 is back to life will be worth it :)

Last Resort
    What if… Ok, so you genuinely can’t get anything to work. This really is a last resort. It’ll be either up to you to choose whether:

• You research the flashing of .pit files. If you are going down that route and have an I9100, two good places to start are here and here.Note that your phone will be stuffed if it fails. Full stop. Motherboard replacement. Ask yourself “if Odin won’t flash a ROM without failing, why will it flash a .pit successfully?” Only click that link if you have tried the steps over and over and over again as stated.

• You take your phone to a service centre.

Many thanks to keithross39 for proofreading & editing this guide, and re-hosting the 3-part firmware.
    Also many thanks for It_ler for providing and hosting the 3-part firmware, after it was lost during the shutdown of hosting site hotfile.com.

Credits:
    MistahBungle, on whose posts these troubleshooting steps are based.
    keithross39, for his guide on replacing the USB port.
    Intratech, for his guides on the basics of Odin flashing & stock ROM collection.
    4-2ndtwin, for his troubleshooting steps if Odin won't recognise the phone.
    SamHaLeKe, for the updated Samsung USB drivers.
    ApriliaM3, for the USB driver hosting.
    daerragh, for the Windows 8 drivers.
    king_below_my_lord, for his guide on I9100 .pit file flashing.
    metalgearhathaway, for his thread containing .pit files
    A few years ago, when you could pick up an electronic component without resorting to tweezers, repair *did* mean repair......
    Nowadays, with everything miniaturized the way it is....repair means replace.....simples.... (damn...I'm showing my age lol)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    Exactly. If you want the phone fixed guaranteed first time, you replace the board first time. And you also avoid 'double paying' when the 'replace power IC' doesn't work.

We seem to be getting a lot of these lately; the 'repairers' who suggest this to people ought to be shot IMHO. I can almost guarantee you anyone dodgy enough to suggest this as a fix will charge you at the very least for labour for attempting to fix it by replacing this part (and probably for the part as well, marked up) rather than replacing the board, and they'll also charge you labour (and parts) for replacing the board when they end up having to do that anyway.
    Updated OP to include the flashing of JB leak, for i9100 only. Hopefully that will help more i9100 users when a 'normal' stock ROM makes no inroads. Thanks to keithross39 to the suggestion :)
    Replacing *ANYTHING* on one of these motherboards is risky at best.
    Even if it *were* possible to do it manually, you'd have to have a rock steady hand and a REALLY fine tipped, low power soldering iron. You'd also have to do the work under a magnifying glass/microscope as the solder points on the motherboards are tiny.
    You could well cause other problems on the board if you attempt it (damage to other components due to overheating etc)........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app