Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,714 Members 47,008 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Heavy banding on gradients

Tip us?

BlueScreenJunky
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default Heavy banding on gradients

So I just installed "the impossible game" on my brand new SGS2 and discovered there's some banding on the gradient in this game, which was not here with my Nexus One (AMOLED).
Has anyone else noticed that ? do you think it can be fixed later on (I know supercurio did some work on the first SGS's rendering) ?

edit : I'm only talking about the horizontal banding (the circular moiré is caused by the glass and visible only on the camera). Also I tried changing the brightness and background rendering but nothing helped.

BlueScreenJunky
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
So I'm the only one experiencing that ? o_O

I hope my phone is not faulty because I've already rooted it so I guess I can't return it anymore :-/

Rumble6059
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScreenJunky View Post
So I'm the only one experiencing that ? o_O

I hope my phone is not faulty because I've already rooted it so I guess I can't return it anymore :-/
not got that app i'm afraid...if it was just you then you can always flash back to the standard o2 sortware, removing the root. then using a jig remove the custom binary count...thus restoring your warranty :)
Rumble
If I helped at all, please hit thanks

[Device] LG G2 (D802 10b)
[ROM]
OptimusG3 Rom [V4.3]

[Device] HTC HD2
[ROM]
Dual Booting WP7.5 & Android Jelly Bean

[Device] Asus Transformer
[ROM]
Stock ROM

[Device] Xperia X10i

[Device] Xperia X1

dinan
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Try checking the loading screen for the XDA app. It should be a nice gradient of brown but I remember it was HEAVILY banded on the Atrix.

Roger should chime in with more info on this =)

murklor
Old
Thanks Meter 17
No need to use an app to test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

I find it hard to believe that they've gone through all that to make the best display in the field and then limited it to 16bit colors (I believe super amoled has 24bit?)

LarcusMywood
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Phew, it's not just me! The two things I'm disappointed with on this phone are the screen issues and the battery life. Other than that, it's incredible.

Let's hope for major firmware upgrades and dev support!
Samsung Galaxy S II

BlueScreenJunky
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by murklor View Post
No need to use an app to test:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php
Thanx for the link. And of course we don't need to test on an app, I just happened to notice on this particular game, and thought it was best to avoid comparing with the browser or gallery since they could be faulty themselves (the gallery used to cause banding on the Nexus One).

I really hope it can be fixed later... I keep reading the screen is fantastic, but it doesn't look so good now (maybe it's better than pentile Matrix though)

LawAce
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I don't have a SGSII but you are certainly not alone, I've read a lot about this banding issue - remember reading somewhere about the possibility that it may infact be 16bit at the moment.

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan View Post
Try checking the loading screen for the XDA app. It should be a nice gradient of brown but I remember it was HEAVILY banded on the Atrix.

Roger should chime in with more info on this =)
heh well i'll give my unofficial opinion is that your nexus one is running the latest 2.3.3 GB which fixed the nexus one's 16 bit color banding issue. did that game show banding on your nexus one last year?

anyway my opinion theory is the super amoled plus screen is still not 24 bit color yet, probably only 16 bit like the n1 was. i cant prove this though, so take as you wish.

the nexus one on the XDA app, the spalsh screen showed lots of banding for all last year. after the 2.3.3 update the banding is finally gone on the nexus one. and google admitted that the 2.3.3 update finally brought the n1 up from 16 bit color.

so my guess is the new amoled+ wasnt finalized yet, like the n1 originally, so the SGS2 is only 16 bit color in its current firmware version.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch

flooki
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Very disappointing, I'll stay away from the phone for now and I hope they'll fix this as soon as possible! I feared that something like this would happen when I saw the GLBenchmark data (or something like that, which stated that it's 16-bit anyway). Good to hear that the N1 had the same problem and it got fixed, though!