FORUMS

I/O Summary: How Android M Handles Power And Charging

In the spirit of improving the core Android experience, Google is changing Android … more

I/O Summary: Google Photos App

At I/O 2015, Google tackled the information problem in mobile once more, this time through … more

I/O Summary: Development, Play Store, The Next Billion

VP of Engineering Jen Fitzpatrick began talking about what Google is doing to … more

I/O Summary: Google Now on Tap

Google is all about organizing the world’s information to make it universally useful, and these … more

How Long for 1st Charge

Thanks Meter: 193
 
By kersey, Senior Member on 26th April 2011, 03:14 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I think the title says it all, with a few of us hopefully getting our phones over the next few days, am wondering how long the initial charge should be.

I'm know in times gone by they used to recommended 16 hrs first charge but how long should we charge for (am hoping you guys advise not long as I won't be able to wait to play with it).
 
 
26th April 2011, 03:27 PM |#2  
Ayrlupine's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey

I think the title says it all, with a few of us hopefully getting our phones over the next few days, am wondering how long the initial charge should be.

I'm know in times gone by they used to recommended 16 hrs first charge but how long should we charge for (am hoping you guys advise not long as I won't be able to wait to play with it).

One review, think it might've been Eldar's, said that a full charge took around 3 hours. If that's true, it's pretty amazing.

I don't think batteries really suffer very much from "battery memory" anymore, so you could probably just turn it on while it's charging! (I did with my Hero and it's fine.)
26th April 2011, 03:29 PM |#3  
ndnesh's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 83
 
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey

I think the title says it all, with a few of us hopefully getting our phones over the next few days, am wondering how long the initial charge should be.

I'm know in times gone by they used to recommended 16 hrs first charge but how long should we charge for (am hoping you guys advise not long as I won't be able to wait to play with it).


Hmmm we are not really sure at the moment, however, dombledore and staceymobiler can give you that information as they are the only two people here in the forum who have retail SGS2(AFAIK). Also, I am pretty sure that the documentation that will come with the phone will definitely have the details mentioned Just a few more days to go for you to get your hands on that!

Enjoy! And hope that helped
26th April 2011, 03:32 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cary, NC
Thanks Meter: 110
 
More
You can charge whatever amount you want, whenever you want. Modern batteries DO NOT require an initial charge, and can be used right out of the box. Out of the box, they'll come with around a half charge, so you can use that half charge before charging, or you can change immediately if you want. It doesn't matter at all.
26th April 2011, 03:36 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 211
 
More
You charge until the message appears in the notification bad "charge complete, please unplug".
There is no need to charge LITHIUM batteries for 16 hours the first time.

Further, the batt will come with some charge - you can safely use it up first, and charge later.
26th April 2011, 03:39 PM |#6  
ndnesh's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 83
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman

You can charge whatever amount you want, whenever you want. Modern batteries DO NOT require an initial charge, and can be used right out of the box. Out of the box, they'll come with around a half charge, so you can use that half charge before charging, or you can change immediately if you want. It doesn't matter at all.

Hey! Didnt know that!! was still stuck with the old mindset that i will have to charge the new phone out of the box for a specified amount of time and only then will i have be able to use it to avoid the memory effect. Are you saying that this is not required anymore?! wow!
26th April 2011, 03:47 PM |#7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cary, NC
Thanks Meter: 110
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnesh

Hey! Didnt know that!! was still stuck with the old mindset that i will have to charge the new phone out of the box for a specified amount of time and only then will i have be able to use it to avoid the memory effect. Are you saying that this is not required anymore?! wow!

Not with Lithium based batteries. Which is good, cause I'm not very good at charging new toys before use.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes