Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,402 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][ROM][ICS][GT-I9100]Dual CM10/SiyahKernel issues

Tip us?

Galaxy_Cat
Old
(Last edited by Galaxy_Cat; 13th April 2012 at 12:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zondajag View Post
bln seems to work provided you get the app from the play store and flash siyahkernel. The only reason I use Siyahkernel is for bln as CM9 doesnt implement it yet (dont know if it ever will).

My problem is that Rom Manager CWM Touch Recovery no longer works with Siyahkernel, screws up on loading and restarts the phone. The Siyah touch recovery works but I would really prefer to have the option to use either. Anyone reported this to the developer?

Siyah 3.0.1 + CM9 7th April Nightly
Everyone and their mother knows about this. Just use CWM app and be happy. IF you post to developers about this, they will mercilessly flame you.

In my opinion, it's a small price to pay for the brilliance of the Siyah kernel. Consider yourself enlightened that you don't settle for CM Kernels! (Even though CM rocks the house)

ExTweaks

Sepharite
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Just curious, what's the purpose of having two ROMS if one ROM is superior to the other? I'm running CM9 and it's quite perfect, unless there's a better ROM please do tell

Curious about the dual boot though, do the ROMs share data/apps?

dmo580
Old
Thanks Meter 581
Maybe this is a PEBKAC issue but today I decided to go back to CM7 from CM9.

I had siyah 2.6.14 on CM7, and 3.0.1 on CM9. I hit Nandroid restore, and after I played around in CM7 I wanted to nandroid back to CM9.

However I noticed it wiped my whole /sdcard partition. I lost all my nandroid backups, and I'm stuck on CM7 now until I redownload CM9. WTF happened?

I highly doubt I went into the storage/mount menu and hit wipe sdcard unless someone did taht for me or I was really drunk while doing this....

Just wondering if this is an issue someone has experienced before...
Current:
OnePlus One | CM 11S | Nexus 5 | crDroid for Nexus 5

Legacy Devices:
LG Nexus 4 | CM 11 Nightlies | Google Nexus 10 | CM 10.2 Nightlies | Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 | CM 11 Nightlies | HP TouchPad | CM 11 Nightly 06072014 | Nexus S i9020a | CM 11 Nightlies | Motorola Milestone | CM 7.2 (16.06.2012)

Battery Testing - Non-BS, Non-Subjective Testing

gabx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo580 View Post
Maybe this is a PEBKAC issue but today I decided to go back to CM7 from CM9.

I had siyah 2.6.14 on CM7, and 3.0.1 on CM9. I hit Nandroid restore, and after I played around in CM7 I wanted to nandroid back to CM9.

However I noticed it wiped my whole /sdcard partition. I lost all my nandroid backups, and I'm stuck on CM7 now until I redownload CM9. WTF happened?

I highly doubt I went into the storage/mount menu and hit wipe sdcard unless someone did taht for me or I was really drunk while doing this....

Just wondering if this is an issue someone has experienced before...
Well, never had such issue. Maybe it has something to do with the dual boot new option?

gabx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 314
Booting CM9 0413 Nightly with SyiahKernel 3.1.rc2 with no problems.
CM9 allows now to choose between USB Mass Storage and MTP under Settings > storage > Menu > USB computer connection.
Both connections work with SyiahKernel.

100 and 1600 Mhz steps have been removed. According to me, they are worth nothing. Below 200, device is not entering deep sleep very well, and over clocking to 1600 is tricky and not very useful (unless you want to play caid in the school yard).

Kichikuro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just tried this dual usage but I'm disappointed.

Only 3500 at Quadrant and 5800 at Antutu benchmarks.
And the battery pourcentage drops too fast.

Did I miss something?

NouveauBox
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I have been playing with dual booting, only because I can. But unless one is trying to find bugs or just want to see what another ROM looks like, I do not see the benefit of it, yet.

In the end, one still gets pretty much the same experience on the same device (I know I know, I am not trying to start a war on 'which ROM is best' here).

I was on ICS Resurrection 1.1 with stock kernel, then Siyah 3.x to try out dual booting. Been trying CM9, Hydrogen, Foxhound, updated kernels, ICS Resurrection 1.3, etc.

I am now back to ICS Resurrection 1.1 with latest Siyah 3.1rc2 as it gives me the best performance so far (no, not measured, just going by my own feel). Maybe I can get more battery life out of a newer ROM but from what I am getting today versus stock ROM, I am getting a heck of lot more time out of my device already so I am happy.

Dual Booting gave me an option in the past of Linux and Windows only because there was one particular application on Windows that I used and was not available in any other form on Linux at the time.

Today, applications are available on iOS, Android and I assume Windows for mobile devices (whatever that is called) - that are the same or equivalent so a dual boot might not necessarily be very beneficial for the majority of users.

Now if there were such a thing as a specific ROM that is optimised for one use only, such as camera only, GPS/Navigation only, Music player only etc. and it really improves the performance/battery life because of it, then it could be a great tool. I am not sure if this would even be possible.

Just my 2 cents

fjkum
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Hi,

I am now on Cyanogenmod 9 nightly 0413 with SiyahKernel 3.1rc2 on my SGS2.
I would like to know if I can still install back the Samsung stock apps to it? Will it crash, etc?

Cuz I need back the Clock apk that has all the nifty tools I needed such as Stop Timers, World Clocks, etc from the SGS2 stock XXLPQ firmware.

Please help.

gabx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjkum View Post
Hi,

I am now on Cyanogenmod 9 nightly 0413 with SiyahKernel 3.1rc2 on my SGS2.
I would like to know if I can still install back the Samsung stock apps to it? Will it crash, etc?

Cuz I need back the Clock apk that has all the nifty tools I needed such as Stop Timers, World Clocks, etc from the SGS2 stock XXLPQ firmware.

Please help.
yes you can install any app.apk

Rumble6059
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabx View Post
yes you can install any app.apk
Maybe not totally true, if he is referring to stock Samsung apps then it's most likely that they won't be able to be installed cuz cm9 doesn't have the Samsung framework.

Posted by Rumble via XDA premium app on my gsII running CM9 Ice cream Sandwich
If I helped at all, please hit thanks

[Device] LG G2 (D802 10b)
[ROM]
OptimusG3 Rom [V4.3]

[Device] HTC HD2
[ROM]
Dual Booting WP7.5 & Android Jelly Bean

[Device] Asus Transformer
[ROM]
Stock ROM

[Device] Xperia X10i

[Device] Xperia X1

The Following User Says Thank You to Rumble6059 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
cyanogenmod, [gt-i9100], [ics], [kernel], [rom]