OP TheCrazyDirectioner

21st March 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 46

109 posts
More
Oh fun. A ROM Roundup.
As rare as our Canadian-exclusive Galaxy S II HD LTE is, it still has lots of ROM support even compared to other worldwide devices and for this we thank all the developers for our I757M so much, including @Phil3759 @dsixda @titanic_fanatic @crlogic @rukusx7 and more (probably forgetting some)! You're all awesome!

Interested in flashing a ROM onto yours? Here's a roundup to show you what's on the menu. Make sure your device is rooted and CWM installed (too lazy to find and post method right now) and has the latest version of PhilZ Touch Recovery for best results.

**thread is a work in progress and I will try my best to keep it constantly updated!**

Stock ROMs and Radios!!! See my thread here!

CyanogenMod 9 by @dsixda and @crlogic
4.0.4 ICS-based ROM. Runs really smoothly and nicely. Missing some of the features that JB implemented like Project Butter and Google Now but makes for a great daily driver. Main issue really is no touch-to-focus for camera.

Requires ICS radio. Grab it from the Stock ROM and Radio thread at the top.

Bugs:
- I.P. CALLING: VoIP/SIP clients like CSipSimple and Dell Voice crash when making calls, or nothing heard at other end of line when using them. Click here and here for more info. Skype works fine.
- IN CAMCORDER: The 'Silly Faces' effects option for the front/rear camcorders is currently showing a distorted image in the preview screen. However, the video recording itself gets saved perfectly with the chosen effect. Normal front/rear camcorder functionality (i.e. without the silly effects) has no issues. If you want to help out, click here for all the logcat info and analysis for the Silly Faces option.
- IN CAMCORDER: Not really an issue, but the zoom control should not be present in 1080p mode for the camcorder, because it does not zoom in 1080p (limitation of Galaxy S2, not CM9)
- IN CAMERA: No touch-to-focus for camera, although regular focus works fine. A workaround would be to use LgCamera app from the Play Store.
- CAPACITIVE BUTTONS: button lights will not come on when turning device on from sleep; user must touch screen after 10 seconds to turn button lights on (issue is common in CM9 for other SGS2 Qualcomm-based variants)

CyanogenMod 10 Alpha by @dsixda and @crlogic
4.1.1 Jelly Bean based ROM. Similar to CM9 release above this. Not many specific details but seems to be working along the lines of CM9. No specific bugs but presumably same as presented in CM9 and a few more little things. Haven't gotten to test this yet.

Use ICS or JB radio with this one. Grab em' from the Stock ROM and Radio Thread at the Top.

DADOES CyanogenMod 10 by @Strange Peer
4.1.2 Jelly Bean based. No specific buglist but everything seems to be working besides camera touch-to-focus and HW overlays (example YouTube and MX player video controls). Solve this by disabling HW overlays in Developer Options. Works very well as daily driver. Smooth and great battery life.

Use ICS or JB radio with this one. Grab em' from the Stock ROM and Radio Thread at the Top.

*****ROMs past this point require Jelly Bean MUGMC5 radio*****

CyanogenMod 10.2 by @titanic_fanatic
Jelly Bean 4.3 based ROM. Latest release is pretty much daily-driver appropriate. Touch-to-focus camera works. Expect a reduction in speed and battery life coming from ROMs based on older versions of Android. Our S2 is an old phone.

Bugs:
* I experienced an incompatibility with some of my existing mp4 media files and when gallery tries to load them they cause a soft reboot. Loading these videos into the gallery media player using a 3rd party file manager seems to work without issue, it is the loading of the preview in gallery that causes the phone to crash.
Solution: The solution is to use a file manager to move the mp4 files to a new directory and add a ".nomedia" file to that directory so that when browsing photos in the gallery, it does not try to load the offending mp4 files.

CyanogenMod 11 by @titanic_fanatic
Android 4.4 KitKat based ROM. Whether it's daily-driver appropriate will depend on the user. Fully ART compatible with appropriate Gapps package.

Bugs: Pretty much same as CM10.2

HellKat CM11 by @rukusx7
Android 4.4 KitKat based ROM. Overclockable Diablo Kernel I've tested up to 1.7GHz and didn't see any problems. Lots more features then regular CM11. Red themed, Screen Recorder, HALO, and more.

Bugs: Similar to CM11 by titanic_fanatic

Carbon KitKat by @titanic_fanatic
Android 4.4 KitKat based ROM. Added features compared to CM11. Haven't gotten to test this yet.

Bugs: Pretty much same as CM10.2/CM11

SlimBean 4.3 by @titanic_fanatic
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based ROM. Slimmed down and smoothed out. Latest build seems daily-driver appropriate. Feels noticeably smoother then CM10.2. Dark Slim is great for battery life as well as appearance on our Super AMOLED screen.

Bugs:
* I experienced an incompatibility with some of my existing mp4 media files and when gallery tries to load them they cause a soft reboot. Loading these videos into the gallery media player using a 3rd party file manager seems to work without issue, it is the loading of the preview in gallery that causes the phone to crash.
Solution: The solution is to use a file manager to move the mp4 files to a new directory and add a ".nomedia" file to that directory so that when browsing photos in the gallery, it does not try to load the offending mp4 files. You can still view these mp4 files, but you must open them with a file manager directly into the video player instead of using the gallery to access them.

* The latest Google Drive seems to be missing classes and will not open. This may be due to a missing content provider or may be a bug with the Google Drive app itself.
Solution: The solution for this is to uninstall the latest version of Google Drive, then go to Settings -> Security and enable Unknown Sources. Then open the Play Store and turn off automatic updates or it will end up overwriting the older version and you will be left with a non-working Google Drive again. Once all that is complete, download and install this Google Drive instead:

com.google.android.apps.docs.apk (8.4MB)

SlimKat 4.4 by @titanic_fanatic
Slim Android 4.4 KitKat ROM. Much is working but bugs still need to be ironed out such as broken camcorder. Haven't had much time with this ROM yet.

Bugs:
Solution: The solution is to use a file manager to move the mp4 files to a new directory and add a ".nomedia" file to that directory so that when browsing photos in the gallery, it does not try to load the offending mp4 files.

* Not only does the camcorder not work, but selecting it will cause the camera to not function at all, so be careful not to select camcorder. There is currently no fix if you accidentally select camcorder mode, so be careful or you may need to reflash the ROM to get the camera working again. I'm working on a solution that will at least not put it into this loop for now.

Man, it's getting late. Will add more stuffs and give the OP some general polish tomorrow.
Last edited by TheCrazyDirectioner; 21st March 2014 at 05:01 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheCrazyDirectioner For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st March 2014, 05:02 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 46

109 posts
More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread