Lag/slowdown problem with my SGS2 camera

OP garanixx

29th June 2011, 10:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Hello all

Yesterday I started having problems with video recording on my SGS2. The camera has begun to "slutter" during video recording. EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQE_62Ee6Y

I notice it doesn't happen outdoors in broad daylight, but even so you can see the room I am in is well lit, and the problem still occurs.

I don't know what to make of it. I tried doing a factory reset, removing and re-inserting the battery, but no dice. The problem persists. Could this be a hardware defect with the camera?

When I was using it last night to record there was suddenly a huge white "flash" on the screen, and it was definitely an image anomaly, not a stray light source.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? :\

EDIT: I remembered something important when going through yesterday's videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlv_XVK2Pw

I was doing some night testing. Notice how the video keeps getting really bright at random moments? It almost looks like I am turning the flash on and off, but I am not. The camera was doing this by itself! Like it was reducing speed to take in more light or something.. The problem is that since it did that last night, it has been doing it ever since in better lighting conditions. I have taken a close look at the other sluttering videos and noticed that the videos also get a tiny bit brighter when the sluttering occurs. It is just far more obvious in the video I just posted.

Does anybody have any idea at all on what this could be? I'm starting to suspect something went wrong with the camera.. Hardware-wise :\

EDIT: Added video links now that I'm allowed to post them
Last edited by garanixx; 30th June 2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added a video
29th June 2011, 03:59 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Nobody besides me has this problem? Nor any idea of what it could be?
29th June 2011, 04:06 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
I am having the same problem with my second SGS2. With my first this wasn't happening... The first SGS2 was having the OC firmware, the second is SC... Maybe is related? How can i change to OC firmware?
29th June 2011, 09:30 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
UPDATE: I have tried rooting my phone and flashing it with a new rom(lite'ning 1.5).. So both kernel AND rom have been replaced. Sluttering is STILL present.

If you ask me, this pretty much excludes software issue as a possibility. It seems what I have is a hardware fault. Guess it's time to reflash to stock and take it in for repair/replacement.. Sigh :\
29th June 2011, 09:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag Orléans - FRANCE -
Thanks Meter: 112

697 posts
More
exposition -2 and you"ll see no more slutting !
The Following User Says Thank You to djase For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2011, 10:16 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djase

exposition -2 and you"ll see no more slutting !

Thank you, that actually worked! But.. Do you know why it this happens or did you just happen upon this fix by chance?

Does anybody have at least a probable explanation for this? I think there is still a potential problem with the hardware since it only started doing this yesterday(I didn't do any updates). I never had a problem before :\
29th June 2011, 10:17 PM   |  #7  
Flag Orléans - FRANCE -
Thanks Meter: 112

697 posts
More
i think it's autofocus issue !
maybe next firmware solved it .............
29th June 2011, 10:43 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djase

i think it's autofocus issue !
maybe next firmware solved it .............

You think so? But if that's true, why would my camera start doing this all of a sudden without any updates? And if you check night video samples on youtube, there is absolutely no lag or slutter in those, and I highly doubt they all set their exposure to -2..

It's good to know I'm not the only one with the issue at least, but there still don't seem to be many people with this problem given the low amount of replies.

I'd really love to hear from more people. Anyone else have this problem, please let us know!
30th June 2011, 01:56 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 74

524 posts
Also check if your video quality is set to normal. If it is, try changing it to superfine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepycat3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2011, 03:02 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepycat3

Also check if your video quality is set to normal. If it is, try changing it to superfine.

Thanks for the suggestion! Though it has been set to superfine this entire time. I tried playing with all of the settings since I was tipped off about the exposure having an effect.. And unfortunately lowering the exposure to -2.0 is still the only way to get rid of the sluttering for me

It does seem to be a problem with autofocus indeed. It's like the camera keeps slowing down in an effort to pick up more light each time it tries to focus.. I'm still baffled as to why it started doing this all of a sudden.

The behaviour looks very much like that of cameras with a dedicated night mode. Lower FPS(reduced shutter speed) in an effort to capture more light. It's odd seeing as the "normal" GS2s don't do that. Every low light/night sample on youtube is buttery smooth. :\

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread