5,604,292 Members 48,975 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LolBoot xD SGS2 dualboot - NEW 12.12.11: Easy-Setup App v2.51

Tip us?

HellcatDroid
Old
(Last edited by HellcatDroid; 17th February 2012 at 10:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 765

DONATE TO ME
Default LolBoot xD SGS2 dualboot - NEW 12.12.11: Easy-Setup App v2.51

(I wasn't really sure if this might fit into "Development", so I put it here, maybe a mod will move it, if it's a dev topic )

Anyways, here we go, I DUALBOOTED two different, independant ROMs on the S2

Video of dualboot in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-V_6Ua_D0

** THIS IS NOT (YET) COMPATIBLE **
** WITH ICS (ANDROID 4.0.x) ROMS! **

-- this goes for custom ROMs as well as stock ROMs --
Icey Sammich compatibility will be added once Sammy released their ICS kernel sources.

Quote:

!!! There now is an app for more convinient and easy setup of the dualboot !!!

(04.11.2011) DualBoot setup app v2.00: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=94

(12.12.2011) App has been updated to 2.51, lot's of good new stuff! >> Free Version -- Donate Version <<

First off:
This is only a little experiment I did like "c'mon, has to be possible" - this is NOT (at least yet) tweaked for usability and anything the like, just a humble experiment.
That said, don't flame me if things are rather complexicated to do this ATM.
Maybe I'll come up with a more userfriendly way of setting this up, maybe someone else does, maybe no one does.

Also now that I found a base on what to do, there might be different ways (more easy ones maybe) to set this up, I'll keep toying around with it.

But let's cut to the chase, shall we

So, how was this set up? I'll give a brief rundown of what I did:

I edited a few .rc files in the initramfs of the kernel to make it actually perform a full boot when recovery mode was triggered and to fire up recovery mode when in battery-charging mode.
I also edited a few mounts in the boot .rc for the 2nd OS (in "recovery" mode) to use different partitions for /system and /data, so that we'd end up with really independant installs.

What partitions did I missuse for that:
  • partition 12 (mostly unused, only when installing a stock ROM AFAIK) for /system - that's a neat choice IMO as p12 is 512MB in size, just as p9 where /system usually sits on
  • partition 7 (which is usually /cache) for /data
    gives us only 100MB of user data space, but for now that's OK, as said, it's only an experiment on how such a thing could be done.
  • with the original partition for /cache "gone", I mounted a tmpfs for it.
    So the OS still has a usable /cache

Then I set up the two OSes:
(dualboot kernel not yet flashed)

Launchprep part 1:
  • I made a CWM backup of my normal installation I was running (stock XXKG6 at the time).
  • I installed DevNull-Test AOSP as to it's instructions
  • Some su'ed voodoo via a terminal while having the 2nd OS (the DevNull AOSP one, in this case) installed - best done in recovery mode via ADB:
    rm -Rf /cache/*
    cp -Rp /data/* /cache/
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 bs=4096

That did "set up" the 2nd OS to where it's supposed to go.

Launchprep part 2:

Then, "advanced restore" of the backup made a few minutes earlier:
- boot
- system
- data

Reboot

At this point OS #1 is running again and OS #2 is sitting in hiding, prepared to roll - so, let's roll:

Flashed the modified "dualboot kernel" (via an App or Odin or magic, doesn't matter).

---> DONE <---
reached the point to where everything works as shown in the video.

As said above already, yes it needs some manual work to set it up, yes there's a lot of things that might not work, yes there are other/better ways to set it up.

It's only a humble experiment - lot's of space for improvement.
Maybe you like it - for those who do, I wanted to share this

Attached to this post you find the modified kernel I used, it's based on my v1.20 custom kernel (see sig) but with the above mentioned changes.
Attached Files
File Type: rar LolBoot_SGS2dualboot-experiment-kernel.rar - [Click for QR Code] (6.84 MB, 2329 views)
Quote:
The process com.xda.forum.signature has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Quote:
[ Force Close ]
The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to HellcatDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drreality
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I've seen the video m8, this is totally different approach, ur giving this device a new dimension. love u "in a straight way" hahaa
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drreality For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sunwee
Old
Thanks Meter 44
there currently an app called Bootmanager which also handle up to quadruple booting. But sadly currently only support HTC phones.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/bootmana...x2.bootmanager

well, one can hope!
The Following User Says Thank You to sunwee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kryptoner
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Thanks OP this is an awesome concept! Very happy to see you posted it with a video! and nice boot animation!

HellcatDroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 765

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwee View Post
there currently an app called Bootmanager which also handle up to quadruple booting. But sadly currently only support HTC phones.
Yeah, that's the thing.... that app is HTC only.... but we have Samsung S-II and want dualboot as well.

I'm already brainstorming on how to enhance the actual usability of this, i.e. flashing a 2nd OS directely to it's place instead of first installing it to the main system partition. But there is problems when /data is not mounted to the original partition, at least stock doesn't like it on initial boot.... well, well....
Quote:
Quote:
[ Force Close ]
The Following User Says Thank You to HellcatDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tricky103
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 747

DONATE TO ME
That is great. Going to use this for sure. This should be in development for sure.

Congratulations already.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Tricky103 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vikas776
Old
Thanks Meter 30
This is impressive bro sure will use it
but i want to ask one thing
SD card needed for this or not ?
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Primary Phone
Samsung Focus - Sold
Samsung Galaxy S - II - CM9
HTC Desire HD - Not worth it - Sense 4.0 Alpha
Samsung Galaxy S I9000 - Sold

jackleung
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
That would be really cool (and definitely should goes to original development). Does it work with CM7/MIUI + custom rom?

HellcatDroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 765

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas776 View Post
SD card needed for this or not ?
No, so far this completely works with all internal storage.

But I have a few ideas I have yet to try to get mounted from other places - like images in /sdcard for example (I *so* hope that'll work.... )
Quote:
Quote:
[ Force Close ]
The Following User Says Thank You to HellcatDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tricky103
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 747

DONATE TO ME
Hi

Does this kernel include any of the Hellcat kernel tweaks or are they work in progress.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk