5,606,201 Members 33,690 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Noob Guide]Access Windows PC files directly from Android through Wi-Fi [UDATED:22/9]

Tip us?

Sun90
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8645
thanks a lot for this refined guide buddy. good wrk

tried the same for the first time(sorry i am more of a noob when it comes to these stuffs for sure) following the instruction's of urs and it wrks gr8.

i think now i can safe guard my Phone's Micro USB port for sure
"Knowledge Stays Fresh if Shared else Rots"
Please:

PATRiOT96
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Wow, never knew I could do such a thing.

Thank you a lot for the amazing newbie guide

vpraveenis
Old
Thanks Meter 89
This is a really great guide. I had found out most of this info by trial and error myself. I searched a lot but could never find a step by step guide to do it. Great work to figure out for different OS versions and even great that you made such a comprehensive guide. Will be really useful to a lot of people.

One part that I never got was how to use it to login without a user/pass in windows account and this guide covers it too.. excellent. Will try it out this evening.

Midozcullen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default policape203,

Thanks Alot For this Guides !

donothurtme
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Default one great app

On the store i have found a great app that simplifies things: it quickly scans the LAN workgroup and shows the connected computers, then you can explore shared folders from within. It's called Sharesfinder and it's the fastest on the store for this function.

However even with ES file explorer you have a scan function to scan the Lan for connected conputers, but it's slower

To access the phone like a shared folder from windows computer you can use instead Samba Filesharing (from xda! Root needed). I prefer it over airdroid and other browser-based apps

felixpaul
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I use airdroid.com its easier than others.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

You can even send messages and other phone functionality using airdroid.com

Harsha Raj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixpaul View Post
I use airdroid.com its easier than others.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

You can even send messages and other phone functionality using airdroid.com
Of course. The UI is very neat in airdroid. But accessing the PC from S2 is of great pleasure is what I feel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.2 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman WT19i - ROM: Legacy Xperia 4.2.2 Kernel: Stock

mr_vodoo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for this guide. Very useful!!!

Neosepia
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Aswome guide. How comes any file manager is able to read content from network folder; i mean reading from a windows network folder is an emmbed functionality integrated to android or does every file manager program its own?

Harsha Raj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosepia View Post
Aswome guide. How comes any file manager is able to read content from network folder; i mean reading from a windows network folder is an emmbed functionality integrated to android or does every file manager program its own?
As far as I know the file manager should support a module called SMB (Server Message Block). For example Astro File Manager requires you to install SMB module for the network access to work.

You can read more about it here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.2 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman WT19i - ROM: Legacy Xperia 4.2.2 Kernel: Stock