Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,117 Members 47,438 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Noob Guide]Access Windows PC files directly from Android through Wi-Fi [UDATED:22/9]

Tip us?

cognus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
it would help to know what OS your target pc is running.
what I found in windows 7 that I've seen nobody document: even though you may have a folder or three marked as shared via homegroup, that will not suffice for this purpose. I have a lot of things shared, but that's between local windows systems on the net. what it needed was to go to the advanced sharing settings for any one folder and share with "Everyone" [its on the pulldown menu]. do that, and it will go.
the other thing is that if you're on a AP with dynamic addressing, the machines will get differing IP's as they come online and go offline - this is why folks recommend setting static IP. to me, it ain't that big of a deal - once you get the sharing permissions working once, its quick then to simply scan for your fave machine and latch it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshrey View Post
I have tried to add New Server by both ways
1.Scan and Server
In Scan it shows the Server but error comes login failure and send back to reenter username and password.
And when I try to add Sever it shows error "Can't find server".
Please help me out...
Refugee from the PC Patch
LG P509
Nexus 7 Grouper
SGH-T959V
SGH-T879 Note

ShowerPower
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Better Airdroid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beN5ctW62V8

Oz4225
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Nice guide.
Thank man

dntz
Old
Thanks Meter 30
+1

Harsha Raj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1207
Default Re: [Noob Guide]Access Windows PC files directly from Android through Wi-Fi [UDATED:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognus View Post
I can scan in ES and my main W7 workstation will pop right up. I put in the username and password exactly, login error.
I see nothing wrong with the windows 7 settings - no issues that I am aware of, but I could be instructed.
Did you try the point 1 under "troubleshooting" in the OP? Just so as to know whether this is the app issue, can you try out alternative file explorer called Solid Explorer having 14 day trial (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...idexplorer)and post your results here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshrey View Post
I have tried to add New Server by both ways
1.Scan and Server
In Scan it shows the Server but error comes login failure and send back to reenter username and password.
And when I try to add Sever it shows error "Can't find server".
Please help me out...
I also would suggest the same as above for you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM: SlimSaber - Android 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock

History: Nokia 3100 > Nokia 6230i > Nokia 6111 > Nokia 3100 Classic > Nokia 5700 > Nokia 5230 > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II i9100

Secondary Device: Motorola Moto G Dual SIM - ROM: Stock Kernel: Stock

ditech50
Old
Thanks Meter 2
thank you so much

cognus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
as it turned out there is a permissions peculiarity in Win 7 that I did not know of and still do not fully understand.
basically if one has folders/files marked as shared with the Homegroup[s] [in this case on the LAN] that does not, to the app, constitute 'shared'. I can sorta understand the logic but I wish I knew the tech details underneath. so, the fix was simple and a bit disconcerting: I went to just one of the folders on the W7 side, and set the permission to "Everyone" from the pulldown. When I did that, the login went green, and ALL of my shared folders [not just the one I marked 'Everyone'] became immediately accessible.
Voila'

if anyone can tutor me on this I surely would appreciate it - Windows is my strong area... at least so I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha Raj View Post
Did you try the point 1 under "troubleshooting" in the OP? Just so as to know whether this is the app issue, can you try out alternative file explorer called Solid Explorer having 14 day trial (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...idexplorer)and post your results here?

I also would suggest the same as above for you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Refugee from the PC Patch
LG P509
Nexus 7 Grouper
SGH-T959V
SGH-T879 Note

Brandroid28
Old
(Last edited by Brandroid28; 17th February 2013 at 11:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Default Re: [Noob Guide]Access Windows PC files directly from Android through Wi-Fi [UDATED:2

I'm on XP. Is it necessary to have Admin rights and the Guest account enabled? I don't want the security holes they create. But I was successful in viewing my shares when logged in the Admin account, not so with my limited one. However, using SharesFinder, I was able to access the shares a few times while using the limited account. Most times, though, I received an error about the computer not being able to accept anymore connections. Maybe that's my issue when I use Solid Explorer as described in the OP. Anyone know how to fix that?

Edit: now it's working via the original method on the limited account. Don't know why it was/is finicky. I'll have to see if it still works with Guest account disabled, or at least password-protected.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using xda app-developers app

Indio Tiki
Old
Thanks Meter 1
great tuto yes

BoRiSGz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great guide.
Thank you!