A noob's journey to find a custom ROM for best battery life Galaxy S2 GT-I9100

Search This thread

darkpollo

Jun 21, 2009
Hey all.

So like most S2 owners that have come across this post, I'm hoping that I am at the end of the journey (at least for now) to find a ROM that gives me good battery life on my S2 GT-I9100.

PROPS to the original poster for starting this thread. Read it several times, and here's my journey:

Problems began with the last JDI update I9100WBMS3, and the one just prior to that. Always used stock ROM. In addition to wanting a fresh interface, the battery woes were killing me primarily, and performance started to suck a bit after installing a few games.

Didn't get a good chance to see Battery life, but after full charge, BUT I could see that the battery life was going to be better. Not wanting to be stuck with 4.1.2, and with my ROM flashing addiction on full overdrive, and I couldn't resist doing another ROM a few hrs later. Which leads me to my current ROM in use.

5th and CURRENT:
CM 10.1.3 stable + Dorimanx-V9.43 Kernel.
The 4.2.2 flavor is not bad, definitely better than the old stock one in NeatROM. Battery life appears to be good based on posts i've seen here, and my past experience when I just got the phone. :eek: See images attached for battery use.
Hi, Thank you for the info.

I am trying myself to find the best combo and so far my results are bad.
Before I try you solution, can you tell me how many hours of Screen ON you get with that 5 option?
1650 or 2000mha battery?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Hi darkpollo,

I downloaded the one from dorimanx official site declared on XDA -dorimanx.shine.sk
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/deve...rnel-3-12-rc6-dorimanx-8-43-jb-i9100-t1617219
You can find the latest on V9.X here:
9.44:
http://dorimanx.casoncia.org/index.php?dir=V9-MALI-V2/
Kernel_Dorimanx-V9.44v005-COMP-mv2-[16-09]-[29-09]-JB-SGII-PWR-CORE.zip MD5: c6f4ece3f3a49842f821c7625556b6e110,6 MB

And the latest V10.X here
http://dorimanx.cybernetus.com/
Kernel_Dorimanx-V10.44v008-[08-39]-[27-12]-JB-SGII-PWR-CORE.zip

On Topic : I finally found a friendly modem for battery usage , speed , connectivity and cool-down. The modem is called i9100DXLP9 - you can download from here http://veyka.co.uk/sgs2/radios/

Best regards
Good to know. I will try it too.
How many hour with Screen On you get?

Thanks!

dark1ro

Mar 7, 2010
Hi, Thank you for the info.

I am trying myself to find the best combo and so far my results are bad.
Before I try you solution, can you tell me how many hours of Screen ON you get with that 5 option?
1650 or 2000mha battery?

can you tell me how many hours of Screen ON you get with that 5 option?
A. I don't know how your usage is or how you use the phone. my best result was 6h30m screen time - but it's highly dependent on how you use the phone.

1650 or 2000mha battery?
A. 1650 mah battery - bought in October as replacement.

Thank you for the Kernel.
Best Regards

darkpollo

Jun 21, 2009
Hi,
I am trying to install cyanogenmod with the kernel but when I install the kernel before the rom, the rom replaces he kernel and if I do it the other way, the Phone does not load.

Which combo did you use? Thanks

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi,
I am trying to install cyanogenmod with the kernel but when I install the kernel before the rom, the rom replaces he kernel and if I do it the other way, the Phone does not load.

Which combo did you use? Thanks

You probably installed the wrong version. CM11 requires dorimanx 10.44 to be installed. CM10.2 and CM10.1.3 should be 9.44 and etc. The official version of dorimanx is not the one you don't want unless you're going for stock.

Last edited:

darkpollo

Jun 21, 2009
You probably installed the wrong version. CM11 requires dorimanx 10.44 to be installed. CM10.2 and CM10.1.3 should be 9.44 and etc. The official version of dorimanx is not the one you don't want unless you're going for stock.

Yeah, thanks, that was the problem.
After all, I have tried with CM10.1.3 and the 9.44 and the battery was the worst. I was affected by the Google Services Drain all the time.
Now I am on the Slim ROM which I think is not the best for screen ON time but it is great when the screen is OFF so I think I will survive with it.

I cannot understand how people can say CM10.1.3 works fine. It is not my experience so far.

Cheers!

amwahab

Aug 4, 2012
Is any one know a fix for android LP mem leak,

I tried most of LB roms for S2 all are the same

I never have the battry life i was having with KK

Thnks

sharp87

Dec 16, 2011
Is any one know a fix for android LP mem leak,

I tried most of LB roms for S2 all are the same

I never have the battry life i was having with KK

Thnks

Afaik 5.1.1 has memory leak fix... Every LP rom for s2 still has many Works to become more stable and battery friendly..

ninestarkoko

Nov 26, 2013
Afaik 5.1.1 has memory leak fix... Every LP rom for s2 still has many Works to become more stable and battery friendly..

yea LP roms are still bug-full but especially some (like Mokee) are updating daily and fast. I think that , at this stage, using a KK rom (at least updated in November or December 2014) with Gustavo's kernel can give the right stability and bettery life.
Dorimanx kernel, since Dorimanx departure (i remember when he tested his builds a lot before releasing) , seems not very reliable.

Galaxy X7

Jul 18, 2011
Best ROM for i9100

Hi guys. Since I broke my S4 and I'm still waiting for my replacement LCD, I decided to get back to my old, trusty S2. Wanting extreme ratio of performance and battery, I decided to try out this , Andorid 4.4.4 combo (note: I've tried CM11 and CM12.1 but these roms are waaaay tooooo buggy, slow and do 1 MPG in terms of battery life)

ROM: SlimSaber - i9100 Latest 4.4.4: 20150406 (link: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-slimsaber-i9100-t2350201)
Kernel: DorimanX 10.45 v022 (BETA) (link: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/kernel-dorimanx-jb-4-4-4-t3123487)
Gapps: Open Gapps (arm, 4.4, pico version) (link: http://opengapps.org/)

I've just flashed everything and the speed... is... amazing. Of course I have not yet installed any apps, tried out real-life battery stats, but when I will, I'll post my findings here.

Reactions: qWantUS

PrimozI

Sep 27, 2012
Hi guys. Since I broke my S4 and I'm still waiting for my replacement LCD, I decided to get back to my old, trusty S2. Wanting extreme ratio of performance and battery, I decided to try out this , Andorid 4.4.4 combo (note: I've tried CM11 and CM12.1 but these roms are waaaay tooooo buggy, slow and do 1 MPG in terms of battery life)

ROM: SlimSaber - i9100 Latest 4.4.4: 20150406 (link: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-slimsaber-i9100-t2350201)
Kernel: DorimanX 10.45 v022 (BETA) (link: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/kernel-dorimanx-jb-4-4-4-t3123487)

I've just flashed everything and the speed... is... amazing. Of course I have not yet installed any apps, tried out real-life battery stats, but when I will, I'll post my findings here.

Do you already have any stats to share, perhaps?

blazboi

Oct 16, 2014
Which ROM has the best battery life out of:
CM 10.1.3 stable + Dorimanx-V9.43 Kernel
NeatROM 6.4 (4.12)
NeatROM 8 (AOSP 4.4.4)
SlimSaber 4.4.4 + Dorimanx-V10.44v005
Stock 4.1.2

Last edited:
N

noppy22

Which ROM has the best battery life out of:
CM 10.1.3 stable + Dorimanx-V9.43 Kernel
NeatROM 6.4 (4.12)
NeatROM 8 (AOSP 4.4.4)
SlimSaber 4.4.4 + Dorimanx-V10.44v005
Stock 4.1.2

IMO you can't beat stock for battery or stability. The other roms you mention(depending on the version)are all very good for both stability and battery, but you can't ask how good battery life is with a custom kernel, it depends on the kernel settings you have. You can get very good battery life with any of these roms with some tweaking in stweaks

qWantUS

Dec 2, 2007
Solar system

Hi there. And how did it went? I am looking for a very stable rom (for my mum) which would be stable enough to use for month without reboot... battery life is also very important... I am even considering to go full stock. Just to be on safe side... features not very important. As long as viber and skype running fine that is pretty much all is required from this old timer [emoji5]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings All,

First post here so I hope I don't f#@% up.

I know there've been a million threads closed about this because everyone's setup and usage is different. I found it really frustrating to not get an 'answer', thinking to myself ‘why not compare apples with apples?’ ie stock vs custom ROM with the same usage. So I thought I'd share my experience for anyone else frustrated with the lack of “The Answer”

I bought a refurbished (new screen, battery and back cover) SGS2 GT-I9100 unlocked with Vodafone stock ROM. I was getting the battery warning at 4 hours (!) after a few calls and texts, about 15 min of FB, same for Gmail (WiFi on/Data off at home), and about an hour of driving with Google Navigation and playing music (Wifi/Data/GPS on). Battery usage showed that next to the screen at #1, GPS/Navigation was the biggest drain followed by playing music. All the other stuff was insignificant by comparison.

By uninstalling and disabling everything Samsung, Vodafone, and stuff I didn’t use, it stretched to 6 hours. 50% improvement but still unacceptable as I wanted to get at least a work-day plus travel ie 10 hours.

So a custom ROM was required which started the saga of rooting. Did hours of research and unsuccessfully tried a few through a Samsung developers’ program (Odin?). I finally resorted to spending money and sent the IMEI# to online services. Some said the phone was rootable, some not. I paid my twenty-five bucks to 1-ClickRoot and it didn’t work (but I used it to root my wife’s Motorola Mileston2) and finally rooted the SGS2 with Framaroot (I think it was either free or the price of a can of Coke). Couldn’t have been simpler – downloaded the file with the browser, explored to the (apk?) file and opened it, tried the first 2 vulnerability options unsuccessfully and on the third, success. Rebooted – voila.

I tried a few custom ROMs that, while they were highly recommended and had all the customisable bells and whistles and ‘great battery life’, I didn’t like the UI. Plus I just wanted a ‘normal’ phone with a good camera (I’m a hobby photographer) which could also browse the web, use GPS navigation, play music, have custom ringtones and pics for contacts, and the ‘important’ stuff for me at the bottom of the home screens - phone, messaging, contacts, browser and apps. I didn’t need to be able to customise virtually everything on the phone and some of these ROMs were 400-900MB compared to under 200MB for most.

Which brings me to CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1). The UI is closer to standard (plus many more options) so I found the transition from the stock ROM easy. And with the same usage PLUS an EXTRA hour of Google Navigation/GPS/music – 10 hours easy with 20-33% battery left (!). Added a high capacity battery (2600mAh over 1800mAh factory, same physical size) and I now go from 0700 to 0100 the following day regularly – 18 hours with 1-9% battery left.

Hope this helps…
    Cheers,
    Ferenc
    D
    Deleted member 4912208
    I've got two ROMs that deliver really nice battery life:

1. XWKE7 2.3.3 Samsung Stock (somehow it doesn't deliver such a good battery life now)
    - This once got me through 3 days of regular usage with roundabout 10% left. Somhow "Android OS" drains me now, so I get two days maximum.

2. CM10.1 stable + DorimanX 9.14 kernel
    - Got a tip about this combo from a friend, and well, it rocks. If you want an up-to-date version of android and great battery life, choose this.
    That 25 bucks though... :eek:

Best Combo would be NeatROM (Extra-Lite) JB + Apolo Kernel 4.13 (Extreme V2, if possible for your phone and won't reboot)
    25 bucks for rooting :laugh:
    Eek i get about 5hrs + screen on time wid ics 4.0.4 xwlpt wid speedmod kernel....
    Btw since u are hobby photographer.. The camera app on cm10.1 sucks when compared to that of the stock...so does the picture quality ...
    No regrets here??
    @ferenczoltan - u r a camera pro ... I m a noob in terms of camera and i can only look for end user comparison points like touch to focus or image blurriness and few more... For me the stock camera app seems to more hardware dedicated..

As for rom .. 4.5hrs screen on time and still 1/3rd juice left? 2000mAh battery ..right?

Edit - saw ur old.reply... its 2600mAh :cool: