One core, smoother

Search This thread

i360*

Nov 15, 2011
London
Turning the second core off completely isn't good actually. Hotplugging is more efficient, with that you'll get even better performance and battery life.

Scratch0805

Jun 18, 2011
Sheffield
Turning the second core off completely isn't good actually. Hotplugging is more efficient, with that you'll get even better performance and battery life.

Better performance i agree with but i'm not too sure about the battery. I turned my second core off yesterday. Fully charged it through the night and usually by now i would be thinking of where to plug it in but.......
Screenshot_2012-08-28-16-18-26.png

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Last edited:

norpan111

Mar 28, 2010
Halmstad
Better performance i agree with but i'm not too sure about the battery. I turned my second core off yesterday. Fully charged it through the night and usually by now i would be thinking of where to plug it in but.......

I'm so sorry but I must say this... That is the ugliest theme I have ever seen. It wins the first price of ugliness, hands down. Not even a competition

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

Scratch0805

Jun 18, 2011
Sheffield
Ooh bit nasty......

:lmao: i agree the settings background sucks, it came in an miui theme i just haven't got round to changing it yet.

The rest of the theme is ok though.

TheStigx

Aug 3, 2011
turning the core off, helps the battery life ALOT, it doesn't feel any slower. It feels faster. Thanks for the tip.

xstokerx

Jan 26, 2012
winnipeg
Google Pixel 5
I think if your on gingerbread its a good idea to turn one off but ics and jb are made for multi core devices so i think google knows what there doing i just put my i/o to sio and underclock and undervolt and get awsome battery so thats my two cents

proximagr

Jan 22, 2011
Athens
www.funniest.gr
with my current ROM JDmod.I9100.XWLPT ICS 4.0.4 and Siyah Kernel 3.5.2+ when i turn off the sencond Core then I experience a lot of lugging even when I change screens. I believe that it is acceptable for casual phone, sms and radio use.

On the other hand when i lower the CPU to 1GHz or 800MHz it is working very smoothly, almost the same as @1,2GHz. But I really dont see the diference on the battery usage. Only if I also lower the screen brightness to the lower level and close all notifications & auto-sync (facebook, tweeter, email etc) can last a whole day (with stock battery)

My conlusion is that for corporate usage, meaning Exchange Push email and a lot of calls during the day, the phone lasts for TOP 6-7 hours. The goal here is not the power save and deep sleep since i NEED exchange push email (That keeps wifi and CPU on), but to create a thin battery that can last more... :)

randomseasons

May 10, 2012
Confirmed after a week of one core, smoother and more battery, but I'm using GB, I'm not sure about ICS or above ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

chrisvr4

Mar 16, 2010
nottingham
Off topic but i quite like your theme.

what miui are u running and what theme is it ? :)

randomseasons

May 10, 2012
Nearly one month with one core, recently I set Lulzactive control to 75% threshold up and now my phone is perfect, extremely smooth with one core, I never imagined this smoothness before ;)

bluefa1con

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 9, 2011
Tried 1 core and the phone was laggier than before
Gb didn't support multi core so it might help u but ics onwards multi core are utilized properly

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

randomseasons

May 10, 2012
I guess so :D, that also means sometimes hardware is completely nonsense, remember back then we were all GB and those advertisements made us believe we are having a lot smoother experience :D. Dang!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    M
    Mr_Bartek
    I still recommend the setup I'm using (dual core mode):
    ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1850942
    Kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788021

Kernel settings:
    MHz max: 800
    Mhz min: 100
    Governor: PegasusQ
    Scheduler: CFQ
    CPU voltage: -50mV
    GPU voltage: -100mV

The phone is just as smooth and lagfree. There is no more heat issue from the CPU, so less battery is wasted. You would have never though the processor is underclocked from the UI performance!
    How you set one core ?
    I don't get the point, how a device could become 'smoother' by disabling one core?

I have been messing with my phone a lot, and it's like this: based on what u set, if the cpu threshold is over a number, it will ignite the 2nd core, I think the problem is here, there's something wrong or delay or anything that will cause a lag when the 2nd core join/retreats, although after that with 2 cores it is smooth

Just set my CPU hotplug to "second core always off" and what do you know, indeed it did feel smoother.

I'm gonna roll with this for a while and see how it goes.

And that will really stick it to the iSheep that says Android needs fast hardware to run smooth.