Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,071 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Permanently Fix SGS2 Echo and Digital Noise Reduction/Cancellation Problems

Tip us?

toxicdust
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeggo View Post
I tried yesterday all the methods described on this thread, and to my frustration the echo refused to go away, when i was ready to give up and after three failed attempts, i opened my phone one last time to take out every piece of rubber.... and then I noticed something was wrong with the original rubber that covers the noise reduction microphone, it did not fit tight, i checked it and notice the opening that cover the noise reduction microphone was not big enough for the actual microphone to fit in completely, so I opened it just enough for it to fit tight, I took all my rubbers out and to my joy it did work. I have been testing the phone the hole day and have had no eco at all. So for those of you that the previous methods haven't worked try this , maybe you are lucky as was I
Good luck to everybody.
Thank you for the explanation. I did however mention it in step 4 to make sure the sensor is correctly entered into the sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicdust
Step 4:
Picture 3 shows the 2 components that's interfering with one another. "A" is the NC microphone sensor. Be sure to check that the sensor is properly inserted into the rubber sleeve covering it.
The instructions on the 1s post should be followed carefully as the combined effort of all the instructions fix the problem.

vitsa
Old
(Last edited by vitsa; 3rd May 2012 at 01:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
So I want to make some summary. If you have echo:

INSTRUCTION

0. Try to update yr phone to ANDROID 4 & check if echo is gone, if its not help go to step 1. (added on 03 May 2012)

1. Prepare tools as on picture attached.

1. Open yr phone (by screwdriver & piece of sharped plastic card)

2. Check if original rubber casing that covers the BOTH microphones is fit tight. To be SURE remove the covering over NC Microphone sensor (upper mic (part A) on picture below) completely, put it back ensuring that mic is completely inside the rubber casing, then press it firmly in housing. Take a great care with sensitive parts!

2a. On the lower side of phone there is another mic, it has same rubber covering like Part A but gray color - make the same remove rubber casing completely, put it back ensuring that mic is completely inside the rubber casing, then press it firmly in housing(check very attentively, use light, magnifier & tweezers if you need).

Close the phone.

3. Check if echo is gone. If No proceed to (4).

4. Open yr phone again & put piece of business card over speaker (as described on picture below.
As per toxicdust instruction http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...46&postcount=1
(but do not cover golden contact from right side of the speaker!!!)

Close the phone.

5. Check if echo is gone. If No proceed to (6).

6. Open the phone & put pieces of rubber as was described on the picture below. DO NOT USE LATEX AS IT CAN BE DESTROYED DURING SHORT TIME - USE LONG LIFE RUBBER!

Close the phone.

7. Check if echo is gone. If No repeat all steps again (more attentively because U are the professional already ).

For more detail information look upper posts of snigade , Toxicdust & Vitsa.

Do not forget to press thanks button & pls make some remarks in this topic about yr results, it will help other users.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment4.jpg
Views:	19527
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	880701   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment3.jpg
Views:	21826
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	880702   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment2.jpg
Views:	19409
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	880703   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment1.jpg
Views:	19479
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	880753  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vitsa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jr866gooner
Old
Thanks Meter 274
Well had another crack at this,different,but larger piece of card. Removed both rubber housings that are attached to the rear case and re seated. After putting it back together i called my parents. Spoke to my mum first flicked between the two noise reduction settings my mum said she heard the echo... I thought balls! Back to square 1, next spoke to my dad and took a chance, tried both settings again only this time he said no echo was appearing. Bear in mind im still on the same call- now im thinking brilliant! But would there be a delay?! Well im going to be speaking with my wife later and will test it then. Fingers crossed it has gone. I will post my results!

sent from t'internet

coldasicet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
make video?

toxicdust
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldasicet View Post
make video?
If you cant follow 8 steps with clear marked pictures you wont be able to follow a video.

I haven't had any reason to open my phone again but if I do have to I will make a video next time

jr866gooner
Old
Thanks Meter 274
Called my wife, Echo appeared straight away for her So frustrating! Immediatly opened up the phone once more, Removed both rubber mic housings completely, Rather than letting them stick to the rear section I put the rubber housings in place before re clipping the case together. Opted to cut a second piece of card but this time slightly wider to cover more of an area and put this on top of my other piece of card this will then cause more pressure pushing the speaker down I guess but I shall make a couple of test calls tomorrow.

I was a little bit gutted because I had a glimmer of hope briefly with my earlier call to my folks then to be told on a second call, "your phones doing that stupid echo thing again!" Oh well lets see.

I cant seem to get the courage to remove the earphone speaker completely (Pic C) when I put pressure on it, it doesn't move. I get the feeling it will break if I tried to prise that away!

mariosraptor
Old
Thanks Meter 568

DONATE TO ME
@OP the only bad thing you have made was to leave your imei uncovered. Please edit the picture so nobody steals it from there. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
If i have helped you in any way, please hit the, THANKS button!!! Peace!

Dany716
Old
(Last edited by Dany716; 26th January 2012 at 04:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Wink It Finally Worked!!

Huge thanks to toxicdust, vitsa and dutchiek! Combining a bit yours solutions i finally repaired this annoying echo bug and I couldn't be happier
I'm here trying to help others with my experience: i opened the samsung 6 times trying everything above without any result. First of all i want to recommend to pay attention with the screwdriver because if handled bad will ruin both itself and the screw : only use one of the right size and pull down costantly with your hand while using it, don't let it "escape" from the hole and scratch too much the screw. Then pay attention to the volume and power rockers that will fall from the case, they are pretty small. Be also very careful with the jack area that it's more fragile than the rest of the case. If you open that with hurry or put a too big piece of business card on the speaker , it will crack (and i'm speaking from experience).Basically what i did it's cover everything as said vitsa with solid rubber and put a piece of business card of about 0,7 mm x 5 mm x 16 mm (it covered the gold spring at the right of the speaker too). You have to be very careful with the dimension of the card : if it's too small it wont press it enough, if it's too big it will block the case and don't allow it to perfectly close itself.I used a file to scratch it of the right thickness. It's important to assure that it's stable over the speaker,if it's of the right size it will just remain in that position when you'll close the case (of course be carefull to don't accidentally move the paper in the operation!). So if you failed the reparation probably you choosed a bad piece of card and it doesn't block completely the echo. Hope this helped, Good Luck!!

GoldGanja
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Hello,

really really thank you for this guide toxicdust!

I followed it and now echo is gone...but instead of plastic card i used a sponge.

Thanks again...

toxicdust
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 446

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosraptor View Post
@OP the only bad thing you have made was to leave your imei uncovered. Please edit the picture so nobody steals it from there. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

That's not my IMEI. I got the pics of the internet because my phone was already closed up when I realized it was a solution and I made the guide.

But thanks for the concern