No registration required

Random thoughts about ART

OP corvus.corax

11th February 2014, 10:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 203

531 posts
I've moved over to 4.4 and been trying various ROMs, particularly Cyanfox and Neat. I decided to use ART, since that basically is where android is headed. I have over 200 apps on my phone and I haven't had any problem with any of them so far. I don't think that a normal user is really going to see a huge difference between ART and Dalvik. ART doesn't subjectively seem that much faster (and if your animation speeds are set fast enough, Dalvik can seem damn fast). Supposedly ART will give better battery life, but I can't verify that either. One thing I did notice is how much more space ART-optimized apps need. Fortunately, I had already remapped the PIT from 2gb to 4gb. If I hadn't done that, I couldn't use ART. My free space dropped from 2.3gb to 1.6gb. I think that is probably going to be a big issue in the future, as 4.4 (and likely 4.5, etc.) is supposed to be friendly to older devices and devices with lower RAM. I mean, if ART uses that much more space and you have a low RAM device, how many apps will you really be able to put on it? My S2 has 2gb device memory plus 16gb internal storage, which I was able to remap. What if you have, say 768gb plus 8gb, like an s-advance or other low to midrange phone? Like I said, that could mean not enough room to have ART and a large bunch of apps.
13th February 2014, 09:47 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

20 posts
More
Im using ART too, i havent really compared space usage between it and Dalvik, but will do it the next time i full wipe
I feel the phone feels a little less laggy with art (not that it was laggy in the first place, but the transitions and all that feel slightly faster)
About the devices with less ram, if art really works the way its supposed to, the apps should consume less ram while opening/operating, although we have the space drawback (which would force users to either install apps to their sdcards if possible, or change the space allocated to apps)
Thy said it would run in lower performance devices (not that there wouldnt be any drawbacks in doing so)
14th February 2014, 09:49 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
I have been using ART on CeleriterRom 2.2 for about 8 weeks now. Seems speedy and stable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread