XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[RECOVERY] [SGH-I757M ONLY] v6.0.1.1 - Bell GS2 HD LTE ClockworkMod Recovery

Tip us?

dsixda
Old
(Last edited by dsixda; 13th March 2013 at 02:01 PM.) Reason: New version
Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4778
Default [RECOVERY] [SGH-I757M ONLY] v6.0.1.1 - Bell GS2 HD LTE ClockworkMod Recovery

ClockworkMod Recovery for Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M)

Bell Canada released the Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M), which is a slight upgrade from its original Galaxy S2 GT-I9100M released the summer before, with now a bigger display and HD resolution. I have ported ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery to the SGH-I757M, which allows you to make backups/restores of your device and also to flash custom ROMs and ZIPs.

(If you still don't know what ClockWorkMod Recovery or a custom recovery menu is, Google it or search XDA.)

Download:

WARNING! Do not flash this to a different device model from the one it's meant for - YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE IF YOU DO. It will not work with the other Galaxy S2 iterations like the I9100, so don't try it with the Bell Galaxy S2 I9100M (non-HD). DO NOT flash it on the Asian variant of the GS2 HD (SHV-E120) either, as it uses slightly different internal hardware - the ROM will be unstable and the phone component will not work. If you are sure you have the CANADIAN Bell Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M), then click on the button below:

(For questions about ClockworkMod for the SHV-E120, contact skysbird on Twitter or GitHub. I will not discuss that device in my thread, it's not compatible with this ClockworkMod.)

NOTE FROM dsixda:

I SOLD MY SGH-I757M IN SEPTEMBER 2012. PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME FOR TECH SUPPORT. DIRECT YOUR QUESTIONS TO THIS THREAD ONLY. STOCK FIRMWARE AND MORE ARE IN POST #3.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Go to the Dev-Host link above and navigate to the "Bell SGS2 HD LTE" folder, and then the "clockworkmod" sub-folder to access the files required for the following steps. Please read the installation instructions carefully.

Support my work:

DONATE / FOLLOW ME

To install CWM Recovery:
  1. If you don't already have Odin, download it from the link above, and extract the zipped file to a folder. Ensure both the .EXE and .INI file have been extracted.
  2. Download the TAR file for ClockWorkMod Recovery (e.g. cwm_recovery_xxxx.tar, or if you want the version that uses finger touch input: cwm_touch_recovery_xxxx.tar). Do not extract the file out of it, keep the TAR file as it is.
  3. Turn off the phone
  4. Put it into Download mode by pressing Power and Volume Down at the same time. The device will vibrate and soon you will see a Warning screen, where you will need to press Volume Up to enter Download mode. (NOTE: You can also use the Galaxy S2 USB Jig to go straight to Download mode. I recommend you get one from eBay just in case.)
  5. While in Download mode, start up Odin and connect your phone to the PC via USB. You should see a status message in Odin saying your device was "added".
  6. In Odin, press the BOOTLOADER button and select the CWM TAR file you just downloaded.
  7. In Odin, press Start. Your custom recovery should be flashed completely in a span of a few seconds, and then it should say "PASS" in Odin. If it doesn't finish and is stuck, then your file was either corrupted during the download or there was an MD5 mismatch (this is not a regular TAR file, it has an MD5 signature).
IMPORTANT: If you downloaded the "Touch" version of CWM, *avoid* using the "Reboot to Recovery" option in the ROM or apps like Quick Boot to boot into recovery. I have found that using such apps with Touch Recovery causes every subsequent reboot to go back into recovery rather than to the system. If you are stuck in this state, re-flash the recovery image so that it boots back to the system. Next time, if you want to get into recovery, use the button combination mentioned in the steps below instead. If you have the non-touch (normal) version of CWM, this issue won't happen.

To enter CWM Recovery:
  1. Turn off the phone
  2. Hold down the Power button to turn the phone on, and then immediately hold down Volume Up + Volume Down at the same time.
  3. The device will then show the word "Samsung". Let go of the buttons at the exact moment you see this.
  4. If you did it on time, you will enter CWM Recovery. Use the Volume keys to move up and down, and press Power to select. The capacitive buttons do this: Menu = DOWN, Back = BACK to main menu, Search = SELECT
  5. NOTE: If you had flashed CWM but are still seeing the stock recovery image, then click here for a solution.
  6. Make sure you make a Nandroid backup of everything the first time you use custom recovery. The backup will be stored under the 'clockworkmod' folder of your SD card.
  7. UPDATE: I sold off my device back in September 2012, so please do not message me for tech support. Use this thread instead, which is its intended purpose. Thanks!

To root your device through CWM:
  1. This step is only if you want to root the stock firmware that is currently on your device. If you are going to flash a ROM like CyanogenMod, then you can skip this section, since most custom ROMs already have root installed.
  2. You need to first download root_sgs2hdbell.zip from the Dev-Host site linked above. Copy it to your device's internal or external SD card.
  3. Then go back into CWM and flash the ZIP. You should now be rooted, you don't need to do anything else to your stock ROM.

Factory/stock firmware images, custom ROMs, change log, source code, acknowledgements, etc.:

See next two posts!

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to dsixda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dsixda
Old
(Last edited by dsixda; 17th August 2012 at 06:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4778
Change Log

Version 6.0.1.1 (the first Touch version for SGH-I757; August 16, 2012)
  • Built using ClockworkMod Recovery Builder (also required hex-edit of ramdisk load address)

Version 6.0.1.1 (Non-Touch version - August 15, 2012)
  • Latest version of CWM, updated from CyanogenMod sources

Version 5.5.0.4b (July 3, 2012)
  • In kernel, enabled CONFIG_MMC_BLOCK_BOUNCE which helps with SD read/write performance (may fix SD card flashing issues)

Version 5.5.0.4a (June 22, 2012)
  • Using ICS kernel based off MSM 8660 sources
  • Fixed issue where if someone uses an app to reboot into recovery, the device will never be able to reboot back into system (would always boot into recovery unless you re-flash recovery image). "Boot to recovery" apps will now work.
  • Contains proper device name info (SGH-I757M, not full_galaxys2hdbell)

Version 5.5.0.4 (June 12, 2012)
  • First build based off stock Gingerbread kernel
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dsixda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dsixda
Old
(Last edited by dsixda; 13th March 2013 at 02:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4778
Custom ROMs:
  1. There is already development undergoing for this device:
    • If you only want a rooted stock Gingerbread or ICS ROM with all the Bell apps removed, see the Dev-Host link in post #1, under the SGS2 HD LTE / Other Custom ROMs folder.
    • markdexter's DexROM - strips down the above ROM even more and adds a theme
    • Try my CyanogenMod 9 - this is stock Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It is good enough to use every day.
    • Try my CyanogenMod 10 - this is stock Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).
  2. Copy the ROM to your SD card and then go back into CWM and flash the ZIP.

Factory images and related files:
  • If you want to reset the flash counter found in Download Mode so that it doesn't mention a custom ROM was flashed or was flashed multiple times, then try this mod, courtesy of mangelok: Flash counter reset
  • For the original stock 2.3.6 and 4.0.4 firmware for SGH-I757M, see the Dev-Host link in post #1 - under the "SGS2 HD LTE / factory images" folder. You can flash this in Odin to restore your phone to original state. Just do a factory reset of your phone, then open Odin and place the tar.md5 file in the PDA slot and then start the flash. This also flashes the stock recovery image.
  • If you just want the Bell ICS modem (MUGLH2), it is found in the 'factory images' folder. You need to flash this under CWM.
  • There is also a stock 2.3.6 firmware + stock recovery, which has Superuser (root) files injected in it, so it's already rooted (but without CWM). It's at the Dev-Host link in post #1 (rooted_I757MUGLCA_I757MOYCLCA_I757MUGLCA_HOME .tar)
  • If you just want to go back to stock recovery, download the stock recovery image (stock_gb_recovery.tar) at the Dev-Host link and repeat the steps in post #1 for installing the recovery image (but this time use stock recovery instead of custom recovery).

More discussion:
Other useful links:
Acknowledgements:

Thanks to Koush (for ClockworkMod), Cyanogen, Chainfire (inspiration), rxulan (link to rooted stock firmware), adlx.xda (for the custom graphics help), testers (you know who you are) and my awesome Twitter followers (continual help and encouragement).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dsixda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dsixda
Old
Thanks Meter 4778
One more
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsixda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

markdexter
Old
Thanks Meter 258
Link to Modded Bell Rom Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post27331138
HTC MAGIC...SAMSUNG GALAXY....GALAXY S2.......HTC INCREDIBLE.......SAMSUNG GALAXY S3.....GALAXY NOTE.......NOTE 2.........HTC ONE.......NEXUS 4...........GALAXY S4

B.Moreira
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Talking Android 4.0?

Is it possible that you could make an android 4.0 Rom for this device since bell seems to take their sweet time rolling out ICS to phones. Also thanks for porting CWM to my phone I've been looking everywhere for it.

dsixda
Old
Thanks Meter 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Moreira View Post
Is it possible that you could make an android 4.0 Rom for this device since bell seems to take their sweet time rolling out ICS to phones. Also thanks for porting CWM to my phone I've been looking everywhere for it.

Bell will likely release it at the end of the month, I'm probably not able to do any work on CM9 due to health and family reasons.

B.Moreira
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsixda View Post
Bell will likely release it at the end of the month, I'm probably not able to do any work on CM9 due to health and family reasons.
Alright, that's ok. Ill just make a thread for custom roms for this phone.

dsixda
Old
Thanks Meter 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Moreira View Post
Alright, that's ok. Ill just make a thread for custom roms for this phone.
You probably won't get a stable ICS custom rom until Samsung releases the sources for the phone. Also you should ask that question in the Q&A section of the forum not in General device section.

ngautam
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks! love this =D