[ROM] [SGH-I757M only] Paranoid Android

Search This thread

CharlieMPK

Oct 26, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Paranoid Android (Jelly Bean) for Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M)
This is a fairly new ROM built from the Paranoid Android 2+ source code.

I do not develop this ROM nor do I provide support for it.

I felt that we needed a new topic to talk about this PAndroid ROM as the CM10 topic was getting pretty hefty and unorganized.
Since the development for this ROM is new, don't expect it to be as stable as CM9. Check "What Doesn't Work" for a list of what's broken!

If you still don't know what ClockWorkMod Recovery or Paranoid Android is, Google it or search XDA.
WARNING! Do not flash this to a different device model from the one it's meant for. It will not work with the other Galaxy S2 iterations, so don't try it with the Bell Galaxy S2 I9100M (non-HD). DO NOT flash it on the Asian variant of the GS2 HD (SHV-E120) either, as it uses slightly different internal hardware - the ROM will be unstable and the phone component will not work. If you are sure you have the CANADIAN Bell Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M), you may continue.

Iae1kcUz
H5t1PHgu
igzgMt0T

Flashing The Recovery Menu

1. Do you have the stock recovery menu installed? If so, move to step two. If you already have CWM installed, move to "Flashing Paranoid Android"
  2. Download Odin from here: bit.ly/WXpnCN AND download CWM Recovery here: bit.ly/WXpfDA
  3. Start your SGH-i757m in 'Download Mode' (Shut off device. Hold the Volume Down key while powering the phone on. The device will vibrate and soon you will see a Warning screen, where you will need to press Volume Up to enter Download mode.)
  4. While in Download Mode, start up Odin and connect your phone to the PC via USB. You should see a status message in Odin saying your device was "added".
  5. In Odin, press the 'BOOTLOADER' button and select the CWM TAR file you downloaded from step two.
  6. In Odin, press Start. Once Odin is done it should say "PASS". If it doesn't finish or is stuck, try re-downloading the recovery file.
  7. Your device will reboot.

Flashing Paranoid Android

1. Download the latest version of PAndroid from Socim's Dev-Host: bit.ly/WK042w AND G-Apps from: bit.ly/117KEsZ
  2. Place both *.zip files on your Micro-SD card. Do NOT Extract Them!
  3. Start your phone into CWM Recovery mode. To accomplish this hold down the Power Button to turn the phone on, and then immediately hold down Volume Up + Volume Down at the same time. Let go of the buttons at the exact moment you see the "Samsung" Logo.
  4. Select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"
  5. Then choose "Install Zip" then "Chose Zip From External SDCard" and select the PAndroid version you downloaded in step one. Do this TWICE just to be sure.
  6. Next flash the G-Apps file you downloaded from step one the same way.
  7. OPTIONAL: If you need to install the Stock Bell ICS Modem, now would be the time to do it. You can get it from dsixda's Dev-Host: http://bit.ly/Wu4SJe
  8. Reboot your device.

What Doesn't Work

• Some GUI elements (ie. Youtube Controls) become hidden behind content
  • Some camera apps display as unintended (ie. Instagram)
  • No touch-to-focus for camera. Regular focus does work though
  • "Random" crashes
Sources and Acknowledgements
Huge thanks to Socim for getting the ball rolling on this device again! bit.ly/Vc3j7d
Also, I based most of my instructions off of dsixda's posts. bit.ly/UavsHn
And to the community for not letting this amazing phone go to waste!

Last edited:

legendofjon

Jan 6, 2011
thank you so much for the ROM. A quick question though, the white flash at my hardware keys (navigation bar) remain always on. I think the light should only be activated on use.

Socim

Oct 13, 2012
thank you so much for the ROM. A quick question though, the white flash at my hardware keys (navigation bar) remain always on. I think the light should only be activated on use.

I suppose it because I set touchkey autobrightness to true in framework config, so you guys who doesn't turned on autobrightness will encounter this.

Reactions: CharlieMPK

ljdizzo

Aug 22, 2011
Home and Search buttons don't work

ROM looks good so far, just flashed this morning. Only issue I have noticed is the home and search buttons don't work.

[UPDATE]
I reinstalled and looks like something that loaded when I restored with Titanium backup caused the home button issues. Everything looks good now.

Last edited:
D

Darth

Is this rom still being worked on? I have a t989d and the jb roms for it are amazingly stable and still being improved. Would love to see a jb rom for this phone become a stable daily driver.

Gonna flash this either way and check it out! :)

RukusX7

Jan 11, 2011
Red Deer
Google Pixel 4a
Working Good here. Great work!!!
The phablet mode 600px with a defualt DPI of 290 works great and looks great for most apps! Some may need individual adjustment. The only app that will need adjustment after reboot is the launcher. This is what you do.
  • You head into paranoid settings,
  • hit the Apps button on the left.
  • Then choose Trebuchet and adjust the DPI to exactly 228. Hit Apply.

This makes everything look right again. In both the drawer and on the home screen. Otherwise your apps in drawer will not fill the screen properly, and icons start looking to small. On the home screen, for some reason if you have 5 coloumns or less, you lose your last two icons on your launcher. You will also need to do the following.
  • head into the launcher settings,
  • click home screen.
  • Adjust the rows to your choice.
  • But the coloumns need to be 6 or more.

While you are in there you will also want to
  • enable Resize any widget
  • and disable wallpaper scrolling.

I also changed alot of my dpi for other individual apps, making things look even better. This rom has made my phone work and look more awesome than it was ever destined to be! Thanks to everyones continued efforts on this phone.
Only issues I have are backlight keys sometimes do not want to come back on when you unlock phone. They do come back on later tho, never really timed it. Also andom reboots. Maybe like one or two a day.

Also I should mention DO NOT install the latest gapps

gapps-jb-20121128-signed.zip

I installed it and it broke my keyboard. If you just gotta try it..... then make sure you have a nand backup done first.

Last edited:

xt700

Dec 5, 2010
Englehart
To get the backlights to come on just adjust your screen brightness...lights come on, for me anyway. I have the slider in notification bar so it's not a big deal.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using xda premium

Siavash8

Oct 13, 2012
Chicoutimi
I tried it for a few minutes and half way through restoring the apps and settings, the phone got extremely hot. So now I'm back to CM10, but if anyone knows what's wrong, I'd love to try it out again.

CharlieMPK

Oct 26, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
I tried it for a few minutes and half way through restoring the apps and settings, the phone got extremely hot. So now I'm back to CM10, but if anyone knows what's wrong, I'd love to try it out again.

I suggest not restoring your apps and settings using Google's wizard. Sometimes it breaks a lot. Instead, just restore your apps manually using the Play Store OR a previous Titanium Backup.

Sent from my SGH-I757M

Socim

Oct 13, 2012
I suggest not restoring your apps and settings using Google's wizard. Sometimes it breaks a lot. Instead, just restore your apps manually using the Play Store OR a previous Titanium Backup.

Sent from my SGH-I757M

Agree. For example some touchkeys won't work if you come from cm10.

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

I installed it and it broke my keyboard. If you just gotta try it..... then make sure you have a nand backup done first.

When we got Android 4.2 we will need it. :D

Last edited:

captaink85

Oct 4, 2012
Hey guys just an update on my phones experience. The rom is pretty stable for me as well. However I have had a few sudden reboots and system ui crashes. As well the latest gapps do not work correctly for me for some reason so I flashed the gapps from cm9 and that works.

The sudden reboots happen mainly when watching a video or changing wallpapers and the system ui crashes out of no where.

Now I have wiped cashed partition and delvik cach which solves the above mentioned two issues it for awhile but continues again. As well re flashing the PA rom from Nov 22.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using xda premium

Siavash8

Oct 13, 2012
Chicoutimi

Sent from my SGH-I757M

Actually that's what I always do. At first, I let the Play Store downloads all the apps again, and then I restore the user apps data using Titanium Backup. This way, I don't have to tap "Install" for every fricking app. But it got so hot in the middle of downloading the apps, that I kinda freaked out and got back to CM10. It may be related to the settings and configuration connected to my Google account. I'll try again without entering my user name and password at the start and see how it goes.

killerfooty

Aug 19, 2012
The Hammer
I ran the ROM for the better part of 16 hrs (workday testbed) other than the play store crashing here and there, I had no issues, I was very impressed. I noticed the benchmark scores were low but if anything we know they're nothing more than a number in most cases. I did have the same heating up issue with heavy file transfers but honestly couldn't give you a value of PA vs dsixda's ICS rom. Performance "felt" much smoother and more fluid. Gallery, lights and what not worked like a charm.

PA question - Where do I turn on display battery %? I'm going to run it another day with all my automated & battery apps running, see how battery life is.

Thanks for the dev on the ROM guys, really gave new life to the device. I was seriously debating axing it for another, at my own expense since its a work phone.

RukusX7

Jan 11, 2011
Red Deer
Google Pixel 4a
Everything except for the Paranoid settings, adjusts the same way as CM10. You can find the option for battery % under System Settings/system/Status Bar.

I forgot to mention one thing that had caused me issues. When I installed PANov23 I had high useage on the app named "media". I killed it have not had a problem since. I also prefer the noop or deadline scheduler and have heard that the CFQ scheduler can sometimes take some time to scan your sdcard causing high CPU useage upon bootup. I also recommend spending the money on the PRO version of Titanium Backup. If you are a frequent Flasher, and not a dirty flasher, then you SHOULD have a paid copy of this app!!

I also use GSam Battery Monitor to watch what eats my battery. Its like Better Battery Stats, but more robust. Check it out.

killerfooty

Aug 19, 2012
The Hammer
Everything except for the Paranoid settings, adjusts the same way as CM10. You can find the option for battery % under System Settings/system/Status Bar.

I forgot to mention one thing that had caused me issues. When I installed PANov23 I had high useage on the app named "media". I killed it have not had a problem since. I also prefer the noop or deadline scheduler and have heard that the CFQ scheduler can sometimes take some time to scan your sdcard causing high CPU useage upon bootup. I also recommend spending the money on the PRO version of Titanium Backup. If you are a frequent Flasher, and not a dirty flasher, then you SHOULD have a paid copy of this app!!

I also use GSam Battery Monitor to watch what eats my battery. Its like Better Battery Stats, but more robust. Check it out.

Should have mentioned I've never been a CM10 user. I started off with Android only very recently with an S3 first and the dev wasn't there for a daily driver, then I swapped that in for a Note 2, so again, little dev atm. And then i757, so again, even less dev. :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Paranoid Android (Jelly Bean) for Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M)
    This is a fairly new ROM built from the Paranoid Android 2+ source code.

I do not develop this ROM nor do I provide support for it.

I felt that we needed a new topic to talk about this PAndroid ROM as the CM10 topic was getting pretty hefty and unorganized.
    Since the development for this ROM is new, don't expect it to be as stable as CM9. Check "What Doesn't Work" for a list of what's broken!

If you still don't know what ClockWorkMod Recovery or Paranoid Android is, Google it or search XDA.
    WARNING! Do not flash this to a different device model from the one it's meant for. It will not work with the other Galaxy S2 iterations, so don't try it with the Bell Galaxy S2 I9100M (non-HD). DO NOT flash it on the Asian variant of the GS2 HD (SHV-E120) either, as it uses slightly different internal hardware - the ROM will be unstable and the phone component will not work. If you are sure you have the CANADIAN Bell Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M), you may continue.

Iae1kcUz
    H5t1PHgu
    igzgMt0T

Flashing The Recovery Menu

1. Do you have the stock recovery menu installed? If so, move to step two. If you already have CWM installed, move to "Flashing Paranoid Android"
    2. Download Odin from here: bit.ly/WXpnCN AND download CWM Recovery here: bit.ly/WXpfDA
    3. Start your SGH-i757m in 'Download Mode' (Shut off device. Hold the Volume Down key while powering the phone on. The device will vibrate and soon you will see a Warning screen, where you will need to press Volume Up to enter Download mode.)
    4. While in Download Mode, start up Odin and connect your phone to the PC via USB. You should see a status message in Odin saying your device was "added".
    5. In Odin, press the 'BOOTLOADER' button and select the CWM TAR file you downloaded from step two.
    6. In Odin, press Start. Once Odin is done it should say "PASS". If it doesn't finish or is stuck, try re-downloading the recovery file.
    7. Your device will reboot.

Flashing Paranoid Android

1. Download the latest version of PAndroid from Socim's Dev-Host: bit.ly/WK042w AND G-Apps from: bit.ly/117KEsZ
    2. Place both *.zip files on your Micro-SD card. Do NOT Extract Them!
    3. Start your phone into CWM Recovery mode. To accomplish this hold down the Power Button to turn the phone on, and then immediately hold down Volume Up + Volume Down at the same time. Let go of the buttons at the exact moment you see the "Samsung" Logo.
    4. Select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"
    5. Then choose "Install Zip" then "Chose Zip From External SDCard" and select the PAndroid version you downloaded in step one. Do this TWICE just to be sure.
    6. Next flash the G-Apps file you downloaded from step one the same way.
    7. OPTIONAL: If you need to install the Stock Bell ICS Modem, now would be the time to do it. You can get it from dsixda's Dev-Host: http://bit.ly/Wu4SJe
    8. Reboot your device.

What Doesn't Work

• Some GUI elements (ie. Youtube Controls) become hidden behind content
    • Some camera apps display as unintended (ie. Instagram)
    • No touch-to-focus for camera. Regular focus does work though
    • "Random" crashes
    Sources and Acknowledgements
    Huge thanks to Socim for getting the ball rolling on this device again! bit.ly/Vc3j7d
    Also, I based most of my instructions off of dsixda's posts. bit.ly/UavsHn
    And to the community for not letting this amazing phone go to waste!
    New ROM uploaded, please test if data usage works.
    Theres no LTE logo, it will say 4G.

And i can confirm 4G/LTE connectivity :)

On a separate note, did anyone else notice there is no longer a "Data Usage" category in settings?? Ive only flashed the dec2 build, so i dont know if this was in the previous build or not. Can anyone confirm if this feature is missing?

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

I've gathered from google the video overlay control problem we're seeing seems to be as a result of h/w overlays not working correctly.
    H/W overlays used to cause screen flickering issues in earlier builds of JB as well.

I've disabled H/W overlays and upon first impressions this seems to have resolved the issue. There is supposedly some performance drawbacks by doing this but i havent noticed anything yet.

Settings -> Developer Options -> Enable "Disable HW Overlays"

Just checked kernel config. I will change some lines in order to get data usage back in next build.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Committed changes to my repo, I'll build it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
    Working Good here. Great work!!!
    The phablet mode 600px with a defualt DPI of 290 works great and looks great for most apps! Some may need individual adjustment. The only app that will need adjustment after reboot is the launcher. This is what you do.
    • You head into paranoid settings,
    • hit the Apps button on the left.
    • Then choose Trebuchet and adjust the DPI to exactly 228. Hit Apply.

This makes everything look right again. In both the drawer and on the home screen. Otherwise your apps in drawer will not fill the screen properly, and icons start looking to small. On the home screen, for some reason if you have 5 coloumns or less, you lose your last two icons on your launcher. You will also need to do the following.
    • head into the launcher settings,
    • click home screen.
    • Adjust the rows to your choice.
    • But the coloumns need to be 6 or more.

While you are in there you will also want to
    • enable Resize any widget
    • and disable wallpaper scrolling.

I also changed alot of my dpi for other individual apps, making things look even better. This rom has made my phone work and look more awesome than it was ever destined to be! Thanks to everyones continued efforts on this phone.
    Only issues I have are backlight keys sometimes do not want to come back on when you unlock phone. They do come back on later tho, never really timed it. Also andom reboots. Maybe like one or two a day.

Stability report. 72 hours of December 2 build.

100% stable no crashes or lockups.
    Video controls such as YouTube work properly.
    Notification lights work properely
    No camera issues except the first time I opened camera app gallery crashed.
    Very rare but occasional crash of Google play.

Based on the aforementioned I would call this stable.

A note on installation:
    Fresh install using cwm 6.0.1.1 build by dsixda
    Wipe
    Cleared cache
    Cleared davik cache and battery stats
    Twice flash paranoid android Dec 2 2012 build
    Flash gapps for Android 4.1.2
    Flash supersu 0.99 zip for cwm
    Wipe
    Cleared cache
    Wipe davik cache and battery stats
    Fixed permissions