Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,675 Members 46,363 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Siyah kernel 3.1RC6 and BRICKED GALAXY S2

Tip us?

sinancetinkaya
Old
(Last edited by sinancetinkaya; 27th April 2012 at 04:00 PM.) Reason: to avoid misunderstanding
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by igottu View Post
Did you know Siyah actually means Black? So your phones are!
Yes siyah means black in Turkish, so ?
Bad things happen everytime during development progress, Gokhan cannot test all the code line by line in every aspect. A code worked well on his device might not work on your device.
The thing shocked me more than the bug is that how easy brickable our SGS2s are!
If you don't want get your SGS2 bricked, don't even root it. Even a bad written root required program can brick your device, it doesn't have to be a kernel.
I hate Samsung at software side (I agree Samsung makes awesome hardwares).
There have to be a fail safe option, at least the bootloader must not be accessible by OS but something like ODIN (Just like HTC's S-OFF)

sauron96t6
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinancetinkaya View Post
There have to be a fail safe option, at least the bootloader must not be accessible by OS but something like ODIN (Just like HTC's S-OFF)
Sound good! Would take a security option (eg. boot from the S2 external Sd). IMHO this section shall not be accessible bootloader .... cannot risk the brick, if happens we must put hands in our pocket and pull out some money!!

Tiyaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default RR

That's bad.. I have tried most of the Siyah kernels on Resurrection Remix ROMs.. No issues so far.. I am now using CM 9 kernel comes with Resurrection Remix 1.7. Try it. One of the Best..

pika456
Old
Thanks Meter 8
if you semi fix the boot (boot loop)
have you tried to full restore from cwm backup? or flash different kernel?

usually it fixes my boot loops, from other causes however

Roger00
Old
Thanks Meter 12
For anyone interested there's a sgsII with a broken screen for sale on ebay, they will ship to Europe: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200750570855?...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Samsung Galaxy sII GT i9100
Powered by Sales XXLSJ NeatRom Full
Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Tablet
Powered by CM10
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i (Retired )

gokhanmoral
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 25739

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The thing shocked me more than siyah kernel's bug is that how easy brickable our SGS2s are!
I want to make something clear again: it was not siyahkernel's bug, but it was samsung update5 source's bug. since I rebased my sources on update5 sources with v3.1rc6 some people had this problem.
that bug was in siyahkernel's v3.1rc6 and that kernel is already removed and I have uploaded another rc6 which is based on update4 sources.

I feel bad and I am sorry. However, I am not sorry because of a bug that I made but I am sorry because phones are bricked because of that problem. I am almost 100% sure that the problem which bricked phones is caused by Samsung's mistake or otherwise I would completely stop releasing new kernels.

you may choose not to use siyahkernel again and choose one of the available several high-school kiddie's work which are usually just a blind mix of other kernels but that will not make your device any safer because most kernels have very similar patches/code.

there was only one way that I could avoid that problem in rc6 and that would be to say in several threads that "wow, update5 base rocks, but I have no time to rebase my sources on it" and wait for somebody else do it before me.. then I would wait and see if there were any problems.... if I did that the result would be different but there would again be some bricks.. it wouldn't be you or siyahkernel users but it would be some other kernel's users...
If you blame me more than Samsung in this matter I won't (and can't) stop you but I don't think it is fair.
Current Device: Sony Xperia T
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to gokhanmoral For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ephraim
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokhanmoral View Post
I want to make something clear again: it was not siyahkernel's bug, but it was samsung update5 source's bug. since I rebased my sources on update5 sources with v3.1rc6 some people had this problem.
that bug was in siyahkernel's v3.1rc6 and that kernel is already removed and I have uploaded another rc6 which is based on update4 sources.

I feel bad and I am sorry. However, I am not sorry because of a bug that I made but I am sorry because phones are bricked because of that problem. I am almost 100% sure that the problem which bricked phones is caused by Samsung's mistake or otherwise I would completely stop releasing new kernels.

you may choose not to use siyahkernel again and choose one of the available several high-school kiddie's work which are usually just a blind mix of other kernels but that will not make your device any safer because most kernels have very similar patches/code.

there was only one way that I could avoid that problem in rc6 and that would be to say in several threads that "wow, update5 base rocks, but I have no time to rebase my sources on it" and wait for somebody else do it before me.. then I would wait and see if there were any problems.... if I did that the result would be different but there would again be some bricks.. it wouldn't be you or siyahkernel users but it would be some other kernel's users...
If you blame me more than Samsung in this matter I won't (and can't) stop you but I don't think it is fair.
Well said GM.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
Galaxy S2 dual booting Stock ICS and CyanogenMod10
Catalina Mosquera Reyes April 30,1928 - August 26,2012.
I love you grandma,i know you are in a better place now.

g00ndu
Old
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

GM, i don't think we are blaming you at all for the bricks, or at least the majority of the users here. Caveat emptor applies when anyone decides to flash other than stock roms. FYI, i don't even use your kernel, has always been on speedmod. it is only recently i started using dorimanx kernel. i know the risks, and i know what's the worst scenario would be, and if it happens, i will not blame anyone but myself.
Galaxy S II
Primary Rom - DianXin OS
Secondary Rom - MiuiAndroid
Kernel - Dorimax 4.0b

sinancetinkaya
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:

Are you talking to me ?
If yes, what the hell are you talking about?
Which part of my message is blaming you?
FYI, I'm on your side!

gokhanmoral
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 25739

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Are you talking to me ?
If yes, what the hell are you talking about?
Which part of my message is blaming you?
FYI, I'm on your side!
no, I was talking to everyone. and "you" words in my post refer to those who had their devices bricked.
I just wanted to clarify something in your post but the rest of the post has nothing related with you or your post.
although there are no sides here I know that you don't blame me.
Current Device: Sony Xperia T

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gokhanmoral For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]