5,593,587 Members 37,765 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TIPS] The Best Way to Calibrate our S2 Battery ! [No root needed, Simple, Accurate]

Tip us?

master_droid
Old
Thanks Meter 656
I'll try, thanks

Omega Frost
Old
Thanks Meter 14
With the power cord it was showing 100%, right after unplugging it jumped to 98%, nothing really bad actually, did the procedure and now it's showing 100% again. Curious.

Blubbies
Old
Thanks Meter 2
thanks for tip!

Kragusk
Old
(Last edited by Kragusk; 10th April 2012 at 10:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
I'm a happy sgs2 user for some months and experimented a lot. my friends with different android phones have the same battery issues, so its not strictly for sgs2 to show weird battery stats. Another thing that I havent seen mentioned here by anyone, if I reboot my phone and drops about 20% after a while I see that the battery "recharges", I had 78% rebooted and got 60% and after a few minites showed 64% and in about 1/2 hours got to 77% again, 1% loss,more.than fair. So I think that the software kinda calculates the amount of battery drain during boot and shows a mathematical stat, not sensorial. After a "refresh" it willrealise that the predictikn is wrong and recalculates and so on. Btw, being in recovery mode drains more battery than the rom itself, at least thats what I noticed, rebooting too....feel free to share your opinions. I'm just sayn'...

nachzeher
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Plosiv View Post
From my experience, I did this just for any case, and since then I've been flashing around 10 ROMs. Didn't calibrate it, and battery is excellent.

Just went today to college to pick some papers, and get back. Approx 40min of playing music through PowerAMP. Came back, battery was on 100%, was
What ROM are you using?

thefern2008
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Is suggest, do a full cycle (0-5% to 100% charge) each one month, fo rbetter battery life.-

nrk_2k
Old
Thanks Meter 252

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefern2008 View Post
Is suggest, do a full cycle (0-5% to 100% charge) each one month, fo rbetter battery life.-
I would not suggest this as it is a very good way to kill your battery. I will give you guys some facts about Li-Ion batteries, and dispel some of the myths that are floating around XDA (& the web).

First off the battery (well more correctly the chip associated with the battery) CAN NOT be re-calibrated on our phones. The only thing you can affect is how the ROM/Kernel interprets the information the battery gives it.

You should also never let your phone fully discharge, as this is the absolute worst thing you can do to a Li-Ion battery as it causes instability within the batteries molecular structure. In fact, keeping the battery above the 10% mark at all times is probably the best way to prolong battery life.

Giving the "battery" a few cycles after flashing a new ROM/Kernel to let things smooth out (or however you want to put it) has always puzzled me as to where this came from. Flashing a ROM/Kernel does nothing to the battery (or the chip associated with the battery). If the BatteryStats.bin file was erased during flashing then battery history will be lost and that's it. Reboot's of the phone are more likely to "smooth" out battery life than charging "cycles". Li-Ion batteries have a very linear lifespan (they will keep the same output all the way until they suddenly die), so every charge "cycle" is the same output wise for the battery. If it seems to drain faster from one "cycle" to the next, this is most likely a usage (apps, hardware, or user usage drain) rather than anything to do with the battery itself.

The chip associated with the battery is built into the battery itself. In this way it is always powered. The only time it is not powered is when the battery is dead. This is why when Li-Ion batteries die they will no longer charge, as the chip does not report back to the charger, and so the charger stops supplying current. Much like how the charger stops charging once the battery is full (it will flick on and off to keep the battery at 100%, which is why sometimes it will say fully charged, then when unplugged may only say 98% or something like that.

Instances where a huge battery loss is noted after a reboot or power off/on and then the battery level "mysteriously" increases is most likely caused by a temporary issue with the batteries chip. Many things can cause this like temperature difference, or just the chip getting itself caught up. This is unfortunately a downfall of mass-manufacturing, but does not affect battery life in any way. The chip should output the correct level after it clears itself up again (the mysterious increases).

There are many weird and wonderful side effects that come with "smart" batteries. And while technically the method stated in this thread actually achieves nothing, the "placebo" effect that it has is well worth giving it a go anyway. So long as you don't let your battery fully discharge it wont do any harm either.

Just keep in mind that the above applies to our SGS2 devices specifically. Some other phone models have batteries whose chips can be re-calibrated which is where I would say all the talk of doing it for our phones came from ;)

One last thing, before the haters start flaming me for dispelling myths.. I am a trained electrical engineer that has spent the time researching and working closely with different battery technologies, and am only offering these facts to help you. I am not trying to attack anyone or call them liars, just wanting to offer up the facts for people

Samsung Galaxy SIII (GT-I9300)powered by NEAK
If you would like to support my work please click HERE to donate.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nrk_2k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darkgoon3r96
Old
(Last edited by darkgoon3r96; 21st April 2012 at 08:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk_2k View Post
I would not suggest this as it is a very good way to kill your battery. I will give you guys some facts about Li-Ion batteries, and dispel some of the myths that are floating around XDA (& the web).

First off the battery (well more correctly the chip associated with the battery) CAN NOT be re-calibrated on our phones. The only thing you can affect is how the ROM/Kernel interprets the information the battery gives it.

You should also never let your phone fully discharge, as this is the absolute worst thing you can do to a Li-Ion battery as it causes instability within the batteries molecular structure. In fact, keeping the battery above the 10% mark at all times is probably the best way to prolong battery life.

Giving the "battery" a few cycles after flashing a new ROM/Kernel to let things smooth out (or however you want to put it) has always puzzled me as to where this came from. Flashing a ROM/Kernel does nothing to the battery (or the chip associated with the battery). If the BatteryStats.bin file was erased during flashing then battery history will be lost and that's it. Reboot's of the phone are more likely to "smooth" out battery life than charging "cycles". Li-Ion batteries have a very linear lifespan (they will keep the same output all the way until they suddenly die), so every charge "cycle" is the same output wise for the battery. If it seems to drain faster from one "cycle" to the next, this is most likely a usage (apps, hardware, or user usage drain) rather than anything to do with the battery itself.

The chip associated with the battery is built into the battery itself. In this way it is always powered. The only time it is not powered is when the battery is dead. This is why when Li-Ion batteries die they will no longer charge, as the chip does not report back to the charger, and so the charger stops supplying current. Much like how the charger stops charging once the battery is full (it will flick on and off to keep the battery at 100%, which is why sometimes it will say fully charged, then when unplugged may only say 98% or something like that.

Instances where a huge battery loss is noted after a reboot or power off/on and then the battery level "mysteriously" increases is most likely caused by a temporary issue with the batteries chip. Many things can cause this like temperature difference, or just the chip getting itself caught up. This is unfortunately a downfall of mass-manufacturing, but does not affect battery life in any way. The chip should output the correct level after it clears itself up again (the mysterious increases).

There are many weird and wonderful side effects that come with "smart" batteries. And while technically the method stated in this thread actually achieves nothing, the "placebo" effect that it has is well worth giving it a go anyway. So long as you don't let your battery fully discharge it wont do any harm either.

Just keep in mind that the above applies to our SGS2 devices specifically. Some other phone models have batteries whose chips can be re-calibrated which is where I would say all the talk of doing it for our phones came from ;)

One last thing, before the haters start flaming me for dispelling myths.. I am a trained electrical engineer that has spent the time researching and working closely with different battery technologies, and am only offering these facts to help you. I am not trying to attack anyone or call them liars, just wanting to offer up the facts for people
Thank you very much for the informative post.

Really appreciate that you took all the time to write this just to help us

No longer will I need for 3 charge "cycles" to go by
Please press the thanks button if I helped you

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100
Custom ROM: WanamLite v4.1
Kernel Testing: RedPill v0.7
Battery: Stock
HyDrOG3N-ICS 18.04 + Stock + Thoravukk 2.41 + Siyah 3.1.2 - RESULTS
Resurrection v1.4 + Stock - RESULTS

luisg0612
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx.yomen View Post
By any chance, are you referring to my post? If you do, then it only happen after I did the calibrating. Please do take note that my phone was idle and it only went down to 99% after 40 minutes or so. To be exact, I only lose 1% of discharging in 1hr which is a big improvement from my previous 3-4% before doing the calibrating.

Regarding the mv, afaik there is an app where you can see the mv of your battery which the guys here kept mentioning.
How did you do that? Your battery life is amazing, i've tried to calibrate my battery but it seems it doesn't work for me. I haven't rooted my galaxy s2, so i can't wipe batterystats from recovery.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Is there anything new about battery calibration? Something new discovered about this post? I think this method didn't work for me. does somebody recommend something to me? Sorry for my bad english and thanks a lot.

nrk_2k
Old
Thanks Meter 252

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisg0612 View Post
How did you do that? Your battery life is amazing, i've tried to calibrate my battery but it seems it doesn't work for me. I haven't rooted my galaxy s2, so i can't wipe batterystats from recovery.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Is there anything new about battery calibration? Something new discovered about this post? I think this method didn't work for me. does somebody recommend something to me? Sorry for my bad english and thanks a lot.
See my post above, battery calibration is not possible on the sgs2. No matter how hard you try, or where you look, you will never be able to as the hardware can not be recalibrated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Samsung Galaxy SIII (GT-I9300)powered by NEAK
If you would like to support my work please click HERE to donate.