5,601,062 Members 47,038 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WARNING] Samsung 4.0.4 firmwares (Official / Leaked) may lead to HARDBRICK

Tip us?

graemeg
Old
Thanks Meter 56
this is good work, Well done author for speaking out, too many senior members flying round this forum banging on about how good a rom this is and that its legite, im sorry you bricked your phone, i hope you revive it.
I DIDNT flash this, because i saw the 8gb pit file and immediatley alarm bells rang out, that is not the stock samsung pit file, and i argued this with someone who insisted it was all legite, i know u dont need to use the pit file anyway, but the fact remained if the pit file was dodgy, the rest could have been, so i avoided it, and im glad i did.

This happened with a rom and kernel for ics on the galaxy note, UNFORTUNATLEY the phones were hard bricked when they did a cwm wipe and even a jtag service could not revive them.

FOR ANYONE whos flashed and done a nandroid, restore it, DO NOT DO A WIPE, and run ya restore and keep to oit for now, for anyone who didnt do a restore then im very sorry for yous, but i dont think there will be a fix, it usually requires a new mainboard, anyone who hasnt flashed this yet, ignore ALL OF THE other posts youve read about how good this rom is, DONT EVEN go there, avoid LQ5 if you can.

I really hope a fix can be found for you all.
Galaxy S3
Other various crappy phones

The Following User Says Thank You to graemeg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Sounds like the problem is the manual wipe via CWM recovery.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

angelomaldito
Old
Thanks Meter 69

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by googy_anas View Post
To all of i9100 users having flashed the leaked 4.0.4 firmware, PLEASE BE AWARE that using cwm to erase date/factory reset OR to restore a nandroid backup WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE !!!! Trust me, I just got mine bricked and by searching a litlle bit I discovered I'm not the only one -> see here and here

Let's just hope someone finds a way to revive such bricked phones
It WILL NOT brick your phone" it MAY brick your phone, i think that would be more precise, as I've restored LPG via CWM (after flashing CF-Root LPG on LQ5 firmware, as CF-Root LQ5 wasn't available yet). After CF-Root LQ5 was made available and I've learned that flashing LQ5 with Mobile Odin and unchecking "data" it wouldn't wipe my apps, then I've flashed LQ5 with the respective CF-Root and now I'm enjoying contact tabs on phone apk (as it was once upon a time on GB) and favourite contacts viewed as list instead of two column grid ;) Ah, and no bugs so far!

Therefore, no problems here regarding LQ5 and restoring 4.03 with CWM.

PS.: I didn't used the included .PIT file. Did you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
Se você gosta de receber contas duplicadas e indevidas, ter seus direitos de consumidor infringidos, adora internet lenta ou então é um verdadeiro masoquista, MUDE JÁ PARA A OI, simples assim
The Following User Says Thank You to angelomaldito For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelomaldito View Post
It WILL NOT brick your phone" it MAY brick your phone, i think that would be more precise, as I've restored LPG via CWM (after flashing CF-Root LPG on LQ5 firmware, as CF-Root LQ5 wasn't available yet). After CF-Root LQ5 was made available and I've learned that flashing LQ5 with Mobile Odin and unchecking "data" it wouldn't wipe my apps, then I've flashed LQ5 with the respective CF-Root and now I'm enjoying contact tabs on phone apk (as it was once upon a time on GB) and favourite contacts viewed as list instead of two column grid ;) Ah, and no bugs so far!

Therefore, no problems here regarding LQ5 and restoring 4.03 with CWM.

PS.: I didn't used the included .PIT file. Did you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
The thing I'm noticing here is that when people have manually formatted partitions via CWM or included the PIT file, they have experienced this bug.

My S2 has the bugged emmc chip, according to Chainfire's "got brick bug?" app, but mine flashed fine. I wonder if it was because I did not format partitions, nor did I use the pit file. I flashed via Mobile Odin.

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

googy_anas
Old
(Last edited by googy_anas; 7th July 2012 at 01:52 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 6085

DONATE TO ME
@ angelomaldito : You're right, the LQ5 will NOT AUTOMATICALLY brick your phone but it may EVENTUALLY happen !!!! At least in my case, I first flashed the LQ5 rom then flashed the latest and correct CF-root and then went back to cwm and wiped data/factory reset and wiped cache and launched a nandroid restore, which stopped in the middle of the process leaving me with a S2 unresponsive and maybe hard bricked for good !!!
This said, the exact scenario happend to a lot of people, i'm not the only one. LOGICALLY, if it's reproductible then it's not a bad manipulation but a SERIOUS PROBLEM that must be dealt with !!!!!!!

Edit : First post made clearer (Will => May)
Yesterday is history , Tomorrow is mystery , Today is a GIFT, that's why it's called the PRESENT

Phones :
Samsung S3 GT-I9300 : Debloated Latest Stock Firmware / Stock CM10.2 & Googy-Kernel / Googy-Max Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to googy_anas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by googy_anas View Post
@ angelomaldito : You're right, the LQ5 will NOT AUTOMATICALLY brick your phone but it may EVENTUALLY happen !!!! At least in my case, I first flashed the LQ5 rom then flashed the latest and correct CF-root and then went back to cwm and wiped data/factory reset and wiped cache and launched a nandroid restore, which stopped in the middle of the process leaving me with a S2 unresponsive and maybe hard bricked for good !!!
This said, the exact scenario happend to a lot of people, i'm not the only one. LOGICALLY, if it's reproductible then it's not a bad manipulation but a SERIOUS PROBLEM that must be dealt with !!!!!!!

Edit : First post made clearer (Will => May)
So, probably, the best option would be to Odin back to 4.0.3 and then restore nandroid backup from there?

Quote:

tariq2kn
Old
Thanks Meter 112
I have flashed lq5 through odin without repartitioning/.pit.
I haven't flashed cwm & am using the stock kernel.
It's working smooth since I flashed, no issues.

It seems to me that the wipe from cwm seems to be bricking the phone.

buxz777
Old
Thanks Meter 129
same thing happend a while back with a siyah kernel based on a samsung source that could brick your phones if you wiped or factory reset in cwm

i think the advice then was to go to a cm9 firmware with cm9 kernel as its safe without wiping , then flash through odin a safe stock firmware like lpg for example

apparently this doesnt effect cm9 kernels so anyone scared of bricking should maybeflash that then work from there to avoid bricking

there is more here https://plus.google.com/111398485184...ts/21pTYfTsCkB
marcellocord Old
(Last edited by marcellocord; 7th July 2012 at 04:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter
You guys are totally late... Want some kickass 4.0.4 that will never brick your phone? Yeah, you know what I mean :P

But seriously. That's the problem with leaked ROMs, in G Note was the same thing. I made a bad call flashing it to test, didn't like it, bad performance, and then, restored nandroid. PS: didn't brick. But was wasted time and was dangerous

goolby
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I always flash to SpeedMod K2-21 kernel and restart recovery before i wipe/flash my phone whit new rom, so no risck here because i know that SpeedMod is safe !
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100 16gb
MicroSD: Samsung SDHC 32GB Clasa 10 UHS-I
ROM: Stock JB - UEML4
Android Version: 4.3
Baseband Version: UEMK1
Kernel: AGNi pureSTOCK 3.2b