Wifi Sharing chewing battery life

OP alloneword

8th May 2011, 01:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Got my GS2 on Friday. Charged it when I got home to full before turning it on for the first time.

Getting a bit less than 10hrs of battery life, which isn't too bad, but use hasn't been strenuous, so not thrilled.

I looked at the battery usage and WiFi Sharing has been chewing through my battery. When I was first setting up my phone I configured it, as I do use, but haven't since turned it on, or connected to it from my laptop.

When I started writing this new thread I see there is another thread on the Optimus 2x doing the same thing. Is this a bug in Android with Dual Core CPUs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20110508-221328.jpg
Views:	2202
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	590144  
8th May 2011, 01:44 PM   |  #2  
Flag Queens, NY
Thanks Meter: 117

1,102 posts
Donate to Me
More
Wifi Sharing (mobile hotspot) is a battery hog on any Android device. Thats just the reality of a good feature.
8th May 2011, 01:54 PM   |  #3  
Wifi sharing is a mega power-hog, as it is essentially making a base-station from your phone. So a lot of power is used as the wifi will be in use fairly heavily.

Same on every device. Hero used to get quite warm using wifi tether.
8th May 2011, 02:00 PM   |  #4  
Flag JHB
Thanks Meter: 740

2,021 posts
That's surprisingly good battery life for leaving wifi sharing on.. a 10 hour wifi hotspot from a phone is about the best you can get. Not even sure if those portable wifi routers get that kind of battery life.
8th May 2011, 02:01 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Yes, I know it can use a huge amount of battery. But I haven't been using it. I configured it (ie, put in my WPA key, the same one I had on my Nexus One) so I could use it, but then turned it off.

I shutdown my phone last night (took out SD card to copy a bunch of music over quickly). Since I turned the phone back on, I haven't even been into the wifi sharing menu and it's used 15% of the battery.

I will try removing the config and see if it crops up again in the list tomorrow.

Cheers, Tim.
8th May 2011, 02:02 PM   |  #6  

10 posts
More
I also have this, but do not use the feature, nor do I start it, but it still keeps appearing.

Any advice?

Swyped from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
8th May 2011, 02:02 PM   |  #7  
Flag JHB

2,021 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloneword

Yes, I know it can use a huge amount of battery. But I haven't been using it. I configured it (ie, put in my WPA key, the same one I had on my Nexus One) so I could use it, but then turned it off.

I shutdown my phone last night (took out SD card to copy a bunch of music over quickly). Since I turned the phone back on, I haven't even been into the wifi sharing menu and it's used 15% of the battery.

I will try removing the config and see if it crops up again in the list tomorrow.

Cheers, Tim.

It sounds like you might have left it enabled - mine is disabled and does not use up any battery.
8th May 2011, 02:03 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZA

That's surprisingly good battery life for leaving wifi sharing on.. a 10 hour wifi hotspot from a phone is about the best you can get. Not even sure if those portable wifi routers get that kind of battery life.

This is the problem. Wifi sharing is off. I configured it, but it is off. I 'forced exited' it from from the battery usage menu after I saw it, but at some point it started again.
8th May 2011, 02:04 PM   |  #9  
Flag JHB

2,021 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloneword

This is the problem. Wifi sharing is off. I configured it, but it is off. I 'forced exited' it from from the battery usage menu after I saw it, but at some point it started again.

Force exit won't do anything, it will just start up again. Make sure the checkbox is disabled. If it is disabled, try enable it and then disable it.

Can't seem to replicate it here - when I disable the checkbox it turns off.
8th May 2011, 02:07 PM   |  #10  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 12

173 posts
More
The same thing happened to me. I configured the sharing never turned it on and it was killing my battery. I checked a million times that sharing was not active but it made no difference the service was always running. Killing the service didn't work it kept coming back. I did a full hard reset and haven't setup sharing since and it has yet to be an issue.

Kinda sucks as I need this feature. This did not happen in my atrix which is a dual core phone aswell.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread