Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 47,746 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need to backup Galaxy SII, but broken, locked screen

Tip us?

ArnoldJR28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] Need to backup Galaxy SII, but broken, locked screen

Hello all.

As you might have guessed from the title, I recently broke my Galaxy SII's screen and I need to get all my precious info off it for my new S4 Active. Problem is, the screen is kept locked and with a broken screen I obviously can't unlock it in the normal manner. Fortunately the phone still works.

Unfortunately, my phone is unrooted and USB debugging is turned off (I think, I'm running on that assumption) so that doesn't help matters.

After some tinkering and learning (thanks to the sticky on recovery mode ) I have booted into recovery mode and have the Android SDK installed so while I can look at some things on the phone, not everything seems to be available.

Essentially, how can I get my data off my phone? It looks like I have to root the phone or something like that, but wouldn't that delete all my data (and thus defeat the purpose)?

Nothing like a broken screen to get you into learning Android development, and of course all responses are hugely appreciated

Hopper8
Old
(Last edited by Hopper8; 9th April 2014 at 01:30 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldJR28 View Post
Hello all.

As you might have guessed from the title, I recently broke my Galaxy SII's screen and I need to get all my precious info off it for my new S4 Active. Problem is, the screen is kept locked and with a broken screen I obviously can't unlock it in the normal manner. Fortunately the phone still works.

Unfortunately, my phone is unrooted and USB debugging is turned off (I think, I'm running on that assumption) so that doesn't help matters.

After some tinkering and learning (thanks to the sticky on recovery mode ) I have booted into recovery mode and have the Android SDK installed so while I can look at some things on the phone, not everything seems to be available.

Essentially, how can I get my data off my phone? It looks like I have to root the phone or something like that, but wouldn't that delete all my data (and thus defeat the purpose)?

Nothing like a broken screen to get you into learning Android development, and of course all responses are hugely appreciated
It will depend on what data you're trying to get off the phone. My guess is photos/videos/music? If it's anything else, please specify.

You're on the right track, I'm pretty sure you'll need to root. But no, that won't delete any data My tip would be to root using Odin & Siyah kernel, as it's PC-based, if you were on JB 4.1.2 you'll need Siyah v6 (beta 4 or 5). The Odin link in my signature has a link which is an introduction to Odin flashing which you should find helpful. PC rooting with Odin (vs using Philz kernel) avoids using the busted screen for the rooting operation. Once you've flashed Siyah, you'll have root and a new custom recovery.

My next move would be to flash Dorimanx kernel, because it has an 'auto-mount' feature from recovery. Essentially that means the computer will recognise your internal SD (and external SD if you have one) as soon as you plug it in to your computer in recovery mode. To flash Dorimanx, you have a couple options. The easiest would be to download Dorimanx v8.43, and put it on a microSD card. Put that card in your phone, and from Siyah recovery, navigate to that file and flash it.

From there, reboot to your new recovery and plug into your computer. If all goes well then you can literally just copy your entire internal SD card to your computer and sift through for what you need

Hope that helps Quote my post if you reply, else I won't notice it. I don't get time to go on Q&A much for now.

EDIT: Actually, an alternative would be not to flash Dorimanx on top of Siyah. From Siyah recovery, you could go: mounts & storage> mount USB storage and then plug into PC. Your PC should recognise it from there to copy all data from internal SD. If not, then flash Dorimanx for the auto mount feature.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopper8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HellDad
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hey.

my advice to you is to try using a "micro usb to hdmi" in most cases the touch works wile the screen does not.
its very common and cheep, i also suffered from the same problem, and i borrowed one from a friend, and thats what saved my data loss.
usually the phone interacts automatically with the usb-hdmi thing so you dont need to "click" on anything to make it work.
the touch tho is pretty tricky.. and you will learn it pretty fast!

hope one of your friends got one of these.. if not just buy one.. its a nice thing anyway.

hope i helped.

ArnoldJR28
Old
(Last edited by ArnoldJR28; 9th April 2014 at 04:47 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper8 View Post
It will depend on what data you're trying to get off the phone. My guess is photos/videos/music? If it's anything else, please specify.

You're on the right track, I'm pretty sure you'll need to root. But no, that won't delete any data My tip would be to root using Odin & Siyah kernel, as it's PC-based, if you were on JB 4.1.2 you'll need Siyah v6 (beta 4 or 5). The Odin link in my signature has a link which is an introduction to Odin flashing which you should find helpful. PC rooting with Odin (vs using Philz kernel) avoids using the busted screen for the rooting operation. Once you've flashed Siyah, you'll have root and a new custom recovery.

My next move would be to flash Dorimanx kernel, because it has an 'auto-mount' feature from recovery. Essentially that means the computer will recognise your internal SD (and external SD if you have one) as soon as you plug it in to your computer in recovery mode. To flash Dorimanx, you have a couple options. The easiest would be to download Dorimanx v8.43, and put it on a microSD card. Put that card in your phone, and from Siyah recovery, navigate to that file and flash it.

From there, reboot to your new recovery and plug into your computer. If all goes well then you can literally just copy your entire internal SD card to your computer and sift through for what you need

Hope that helps Quote my post if you reply, else I won't notice it. I don't get time to go on Q&A much for now.

EDIT: Actually, an alternative would be not to flash Dorimanx on top of Siyah. From Siyah recovery, you could go: mounts & storage> mount USB storage and then plug into PC. Your PC should recognise it from there to copy all data from internal SD. If not, then flash Dorimanx for the auto mount feature.
I would like to get anything that's worth getting from the phone, so most important is the contacts and then photos/videos/app data.

It seems the link to download Odin is dead

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Odin can be easily found with a Google search (or an XDA search). You're going to have to show at least a little bit of initiative if you want this done.

Edit - Also, you haven't specified which S2 variant you have. If you have any of the US variants, don't proceed with the above advice.

Quote:
I would like to get anything that's worth getting from the phone, so most important is the contacts and then photos/videos/app data.

If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ArnoldJR28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Odin can be easily found with a Google search (or an XDA search). You're going to have to show at least a little bit of initiative if you want this done.

Edit - Also, you haven't specified which S2 variant you have. If you have any of the US variants, don't proceed with the above advice.
Just thought I'd make people aware of the dead link.

Phone variant is the I9100T (in Australia here).

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Hopper's advice applies then.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hopper8
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2115
Quote:

I have no idea what you mean by the Odin link is dead. All links and attachments in my guide are up to date and working. I know, I just checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post

Good point, thanks. Had skimmed over the variant issue

ArnoldJR28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper8 View Post
I have no idea what you mean by the Odin link is dead. All links and attachments in my guide are up to date and working. I know, I just checked.

Good point, thanks. Had skimmed over the variant issue
Not to worry, it was 404'ing for me, but I just went and googled it like Mistah said.

Flashing and pulling files from recovery mode worked like a charm so much appreciated, Hopper

Hopper8
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2115
Quote:
Not to worry, it was 404'ing for me, but I just went and googled it like Mistah said.

Flashing and pulling files from recovery mode worked like a charm so much appreciated, Hopper
Good to hear it worked, and that you've got your data back Now you know to keep regular backups of all the things you value, so get in that habit

The Following User Says Thank You to Hopper8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]