Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,599 Members 36,323 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "4G" in the notification bar!?

Tip us?

Andyred
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] "4G" in the notification bar!?

Hi Guys,

I have been travelling into London working the past couple of weeks and noticed that on certain parts of journeys on hammersmith and city line my S2(GT-I9100) switches from "H" to "4G" and back again.

I had noticed quicker downloading of browser pages at around the same time...

What does the 4G really mean? Surely the i9100 is only hspa/3g?

Using Modaco GR8 rom and Siyah 2.6.4+ kernel, baseband version I9100XXLPH.

so_ony
Old
Thanks Meter 415

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyred View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been travelling into London working the past couple of weeks and noticed that on certain parts of journeys on hammersmith and city line my S2(GT-I9100) switches from "H" to "4G" and back again.

I had noticed quicker downloading of browser pages at around the same time...

What does the 4G really mean? Surely the i9100 is only hspa/3g?

Using Modaco GR8 rom and Siyah 2.6.4+ kernel, baseband version I9100XXLPH.
read it out here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

Quote:
In telecommunications, 4G is the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards. It is a successor of the 3G and 2G families of standards. In 2009, the ITU-R organization specified the IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) requirements for 4G standards, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 Mbit/s for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[1]

SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 GT-I9500

Andyred
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the link, I was aware of what 4G is, and I know that O2 are trialling a 4G network in London, I guess I wasn't specific enough...

Is the i9100 really capable of 4g speeds or do we just get the benefit of the wider bandwidth generally available in a 4G environment?

runedrune
Old
Thanks Meter 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyred View Post
Thanks for the link, I was aware of what 4G is, and I know that O2 are trialling a 4G network in London, I guess I wasn't specific enough...

Is the i9100 really capable of 4g speeds or do we just get the benefit of the wider bandwidth generally available in a 4G environment?
You sure you have an i9100? No it isn't 4G capable.
[Device] Google Nexus 5 [Memory] 32GB [Rom] ParanoidAndroid [Kernel] Stock [Modem] 1.0.25.0.23 [Launcher] Stock [Theme] Stock [Font] Stock

[Device] Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen [Memory] 32GB [Rom] Stock KitKat [Kernel] Stock [Launcher] Stock [Theme] Stock [Font] Stock

Sony Ericsson W810i -> Samsung Galaxy S i9000 -> Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 -> Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 -> Google Nexus 5

Nexus 7 -> Nexus 7 2nd Gen

My Apps: Konvertr

marcadam
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Don't confuse 4G with LTE, three is currently trailing 4G in parts of London and yes the SGS2 is compatible.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Don't try to reason with stupid people, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
The Following User Says Thank You to marcadam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crio_
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I9100 is not capable 4G.

view http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i910..._s_ii-3621.php

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

I9100 supports HSDPA and HSUPA, it would be as 3.5G.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

Rizur
Old
Thanks Meter 204
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...rial-in-london I would call your provider and say you are mega interested in finding out what the deal is :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Andyred
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So it looks like it was HSDPA and more available bandwidth that caused it to feel faster.

Thanks everyone.

Tags
you should not own a smart phone