XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AOSP NeatROM 2.4.1, screen won't turn off

Tip us?

marjune23
Old
Thanks Meter 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by djondjoe View Post
I have never actually flashed a cwm before flashing a rom (well before trying out AOSP NeatROM anyway). Why is this necessary?
Is it also necessary to find an older cwm if I want to go back to a 4.1.2 Android version? I know I had to install a Kitkat compatible cwm before flashing the AOSP NeatROM, but aren't the cwm's "backward compatibable" and can handle older versions of Android?

Maybe there's something I don't quite understand, if so please educate me
Before we start the lesson, let me ask you first if your issue has been resolve already?...
Don't worry I won't give up on you until I satisfied you baby hahaha...

Q. I have never actually flashed a cwm before flashing a rom (well before trying out AOSP NeatROM anyway). Why is this necessary?
A. How did you manage do flash Rom without flashing compatible KK CWM Recovery?...Unless you came from another KK Rom, it is possible...
It is necessary coz simply it is the basic requirement of KK Roms (with maliV3 drivers)

Q. Is it also necessary to find an older cwm if I want to go back to a 4.1.2 Android version?
A. Yes, as you can see in Post #3 in NeatRom AOSP thread (last paragraph)...although it is already integrated with Philz kernel...

Q. I know I had to install a Kitkat compatible cwm before flashing the AOSP NeatROM, but aren't the cwm's "backward compatibable" and can handle older versions of Android?
A. CWM are just type of recovery. Other than CWM there is what you called TWRP (touch wiz recovery program, which is used by NeatRom AOSP)). TWRP is more on just tapping on your screen to navigate your recovery.
So you need to find compatible CWM or TWRP to be able to flashback to 4.1.2. And same with Kitkat, you need to find compatible CWM or TWRP.
But there are some kernels who is now working to be able to handle to flash a KK or Jellybean. (e.g. is Dorimanx Kernel)

djondjoe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well my phone is living a life of it's own. For the last three days the screen has worked fine except in the afternoons and evenings where the screen doesn't turn off by itself. I must say I am puzzled. I still suspect NoLED of having something to do with it all.

Yes I came from Omega ROM, and before that Cyanogenmod and others. I guess I only manually installed CWM the first time I rooted the phone. All the other times they were included in the ROM, so it's new to me I need to do it manually to revert from NeatROM. Let's say I want to try NeatRom 5.6, I can't just download the ROM and install it with Philz KitKat CWM Recovery which I already have installed? If no, what exact CWM must I use?

marjune23
Old
(Last edited by marjune23; 30th January 2014 at 10:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2848
Quote:
Well my phone is living a life of it's own. For the last three days the screen has worked fine except in the afternoons and evenings where the screen doesn't turn off by itself. I must say I am puzzled. I still suspect NoLED of having something to do with it all.

Yes I came from Omega ROM, and before that Cyanogenmod and others. I guess I only manually installed CWM the first time I rooted the phone. All the other times they were included in the ROM, so it's new to me I need to do it manually to revert from NeatROM. Let's say I want to try NeatRom 5.6, I can't just download the ROM and install it with Philz KitKat CWM Recovery which I already have installed? If no, what exact CWM must I use?
Wwaahhh read carefully mate my comment above...if you want to go back to neat 5.6, Post #3 last paragraph....

My tapatalk Signature

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100
Currently on Dualboot
1st Rom: NeatRom v5.6
2nd Rom: AOSP NeatRom v2.5
Kernel: Dorimanx 8.43vXX
My procedure in dualbooting
Hit thanks button if you think I helped you...

djondjoe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I read it, don't worry

Just don't get why, but I assume it's because the KitKat CWM ONLY handles KitKat ROMs and I must revert back to an older CWM recovery for older Android versions, and I also shouldn't ask all my pesky questions and just do what I'm told

marjune23
Old
Thanks Meter 2848
Quote:
I read it, don't worry

Just don't get why, but I assume it's because the KitKat CWM ONLY handles KitKat ROMs and I must revert back to an older CWM recovery for older Android versions, and I also shouldn't ask all my pesky questions and just do what I'm told
Nice nice...safety first ...
Hhmmnnn AFAIK there were different versions of recovery...As of now it's so hard to follow....So for me I just follow instructions (ofcorz reading comments) before proceeding....but sometimes I like being risky always hahaha...

My tapatalk Signature

Currently on Dualboot

djondjoe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
SO close to having 10 posts now

If I want to upgrade to 2.5, is it really the hard way with installing the ROM all over and having to reinstall all apps? I thoughtthese custom ROMs all had an upgrade functionality in a menu somewhere.

marjune23
Old
Thanks Meter 2848
Quote:
SO close to having 10 posts now

If I want to upgrade to 2.5, is it really the hard way with installing the ROM all over and having to reinstall all apps? I thoughtthese custom ROMs all had an upgrade functionality in a menu somewhere.
If you want to retain your apps do dirty flash...but if something went wrong or you want fresh installation do the full wipe...see post below...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49887400

Ooopppsss just a tips also, please hit thanks button if somebody help you on their comments to your post

My tapatalk Signature

Currently on Dualboot
The Following User Says Thank You to marjune23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djondjoe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks!

I guess I'll be dirty then. What are the odds of success and no boot loops?

marjune23
Old
Thanks Meter 2848
Quote:
Thanks!

I guess I'll be dirty then. What are the odds of success and no boot loops?
As you can see on my post 1% fail and 99% success...
The only main problems sometimes why bootloops occurs is users don't follow the steps provided to them...

My tapatalk Signature

Currently on Dualboot

The Following User Says Thank You to marjune23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]