Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 49,729 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AP Mobile massive data use

Tip us?

ginloin
Old
(Last edited by ginloin; 27th May 2011 at 03:05 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] AP Mobile massive data use

Hi there. Long time listener, first time (Android) poster here (and previously infrequent Windows Mobile poster).

I'm in Australia and ordered a Galaxy S2 from the UK, which I love. But the last couple of days I've noticed MASSIVE unintended 3G data use. I only have a 1GB limit and I was going along merrily for the last week. Then yesterday all of a sudden in one day I'd used around 300MB. So I did some tweaking, installed 3G Watchdog and this morning I'd used another 400MB!! The reason I installed 3G Watchdog is because it can tell me my data usage by app, and it turns out (according to 3GW) that the offender is AP Mobile, which had received 339.1MB this morning! So I'm just wondering if I could get some help with this.

AP Mobile as I understand it is purely an RSS type widget. Doesn't seem to be an app anywhere for it, and when you go into the widget, there are only like 2 configurable settings. Can't even choose which feeds it gets, from what I could tell. I had looked at it initially and set the refresh to 3 hours, but later removed the widget. It must have kept updating though (but even so,for a mobile device seems like a massive amount of data still!). I didn't realise this, but have now set the refresh to 'none'. I hope this works! Does anyone know much about it?

OK, so my questions really are:

1. Does anyone know how I can make sure this never accesses data again? I use Juice Defender but it doesn't even appear in the list of configurable apps (though things like the BBC iPlayer do). Perhaps because it's only a widget? Is there another app that might help me do this?

2. Ages ago I used Android Assistant to kill the APM process on startup since I wasn't using it. But it must still auto start itself at times (perhaps this was connected to the update interval, which is now set to 'none'). Is there an app that could persistently disable this (and other) service(s) without rooting?

3. Which leads to my third question. I'm assuming the only way to uninstall this (since it came as part of the original ROM) is to root my GS2? I saw the thread on rooting a GS2 but I'm not sure about all the terms, like which specific firmware I have and which kernal to install after rooting. I'm more than happy to root it but had a bit of trouble working out what it all meant. If I was to root it, is it simple to uninstall original firmware apps or is the only way to install a custom ROM?

EDIT: Ok, I think I have a handle on rooting my device now, my apologies for not researching thoroughly enough. I think I know which firmware, kernel etc. I have so it's just a matter of doing it now. And then I can use Titanium backup to uninstall stock Samsung apps? Is this the best/only way to do this?

4. I'm generally happy with the device as is so I don't necessarily (yet) want to install custom ROMs. If I only root it, without installing a new ROM, will I still be able to install Kies updates as and when they appear? And does that unroot it?

Sorry for all the questions! And I'm so sorry too since I know most of this is completely n00b stuff to you all. This is my first Android phone so still learning the ropes. And if I should have posted elsewhere please reprimand me accordingly. I did search before posting, but being a new platform, I don't have a framework yet for knowing the right search terms exactly.

fullymetal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am having the same problem. I am also in Australia.
Is there a non root solution?

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4,420
I use Quick Settings Mobile Data APN off unless i want it on .

jje

ginloin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
After my initial ramblings, I ended up rooting my phone and removing the app entirely using Titanium backup. It was easy and painless and only took like 5 minutes. I assume it's worked for my data consumption, but haven't been able to test on 3G yet because I went over my limit for the month (thanks to APM) so have shut down mobile data until my next billing cycle. Doesn't seem to be anything like the data consumption over wifi though, so far. I still don't know though whether by rooting, if i load the next update through Kies (whenever it is released) I lose root or not, but so far the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience.

Without rooting, you can in the app set the update frequency to 'none' (one of the 2 settings it has!) but I didn't test whether this actually stops it or not, before I uninstalled it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginloin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iamthecosmos
Old
(Last edited by iamthecosmos; 1st June 2011 at 03:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
I too have the same problem with the AP Mobile App/Widget. At first when I got my SGS2 I used the widget as it looked pretty nice, but I soon stopped using it as it is almost entirely exclusively US news - pretty lazy of Samsung considering this is a UK version... you would think they could have got AP to configure it to EURO market or work with someone else such as the BBC instead. Anyway, the first time I noticed it was a CPU hog was when I noticed that in the space of my morning alarm, and me getting up (an hour, in which I took the phone off charging) the battery had gone down about 30%! In that hour I had not been using the phone at all! I checked the battery usage and it was clear what was responsible.... the AP Mobile app was using about 50% (can't remember exactly now) of the whole battery - more than the display and everything else! I force stopped it, and reported it, but still can't believe how much this can hog cpu/drain battery/data without even being used!!! Remember, this is without using the widget anymore, or ever checking the app! Today, I had my phone in my pocket (and inside a pouch) and all of a sudden I noticed it was really hot! To notice a unused phone, inside my jeans pocket, inside a pouch was really hot shows just how much the cpu must have been going crazy! When I took it out of my pocket the whole phone (including the screen) was very hot... something I've noticed a few times before when under intensive use (flash video streaming/1080p video taking/taking a call whilst charging) but for it to get like this whilst it shouldn't even be doing anything is crazy! Sure enough, when I checked the battery usage, AP was the guilty party! See attached screenshot from today as an example - notice the battery go off a cliff (over say half an hour, presumable whilst AP did it's thang) before I force stopped it! I should note this has happened over different firmware versions, so it's very much an app issue.

After reading this post I have set the frequency to 'none' and hope that fixes this issue, but a widget really shouldn't be acting like this when not in use. I would be interested to hear if anyone else spots this in their battery usage - if so please post a screenshot also!

Samsung/AP please fix!

BTW, You will see that Wifi Sharing was draining the battery also... again without me using it. Could AP be activating it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20110531-165430.jpg
Views:	9483
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	612512  
The Following User Says Thank You to iamthecosmos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AnthonyDeSouza
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am having exactly the same issue.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and live in the UK so I too found the AP Mobile app a waste of space so I removed it.

A week into my monthly data quota being refreshed O2 txted me telling me I had used 80% of my 500Mb data - which was bizarre since I use my phone mainly on wifi and not for downloading large files. Even more bizarrely ONE HOUR later I got another txt telling me ALL my data had been used - and I had done absolutely nothing. In fact I even closed down the widgets I thought were consuming data.

I didn't realise it was APM at the time - however a few days ago I woke up and noticed my battery level abnormally low. I checked the usage and it had AP Mobile As the culprit - even though I had removed the widget weeks earlier! It was right at the top of battery usage, even above Display and Android OS

There is something seriously wrong with the AP Mobile App on Galaxy S2.

Based on another poster's above advice, I just added the widget again, went to SETTINGS for it and set the update frequency to NONE (it had been on hourly before I last removed it), and then I removed the widget again. I will keep an eye on my phone.

Really annoyed that Samsung Galaxy S2 auto starts this app even after you kill it AND especially after you removed the widget too!

Looks like I am going to have to root my phone if this don't work!

wltklah
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyDeSouza View Post
I am having exactly the same issue.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and live in the UK so I too found the AP Mobile app a waste of space so I removed it.

A week into my monthly data quota being refreshed O2 txted me telling me I had used 80% of my 500Mb data - which was bizarre since I use my phone mainly on wifi and not for downloading large files. Even more bizarrely ONE HOUR later I got another txt telling me ALL my data had been used - and I had done absolutely nothing. In fact I even closed down the widgets I thought were consuming data.

I didn't realise it was APM at the time - however a few days ago I woke up and noticed my battery level abnormally low. I checked the usage and it had AP Mobile As the culprit - even though I had removed the widget weeks earlier! It was right at the top of battery usage, even above Display and Android OS

There is something seriously wrong with the AP Mobile App on Galaxy S2.

Based on another poster's above advice, I just added the widget again, went to SETTINGS for it and set the update frequency to NONE (it had been on hourly before I last removed it), and then I removed the widget again. I will keep an eye on my phone.

Really annoyed that Samsung Galaxy S2 auto starts this app even after you kill it AND especially after you removed the widget too!

Looks like I am going to have to root my phone if this don't work!
Same problem here with AP mobile. AP mobile is a badly written App. It drains battery like crazy, so I ended up removing it. There are better news feeder on the market, so it's not a big deal to just delete it.

AnthonyDeSouza
Old
Thanks Meter 0
iamthecosmos was right.

Adding the AP Widget again, then setting the update frequency to none before removing it again works just fine

Thanks!

pe2dave
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyDeSouza View Post
iamthecosmos was right.

Adding the AP Widget again, then setting the update frequency to none before removing it again works just fine

Thanks!
Same problem here, UK based. Wake up Samsung.

How did you add the widget again please? New to the phone.

TIA Dave

garthpancake
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had the same problem, I've had the phone for about 5 months now,but last night I'd notice it heating up and using ridiculous amount of battery, I just ignored this, switch off then switch on. This afternoon I noticed 3g Watchdog say I was nearing my data limit, Netquin confirmed this, check the usage, was APM! used up 1.1 gig of my monthly 1.5 gig quota! I'd never used the widget before now and as nice as it looks was pointless with me being UK based and the app more US stories.
I'm hoping putting the refresh to 'never' does help, but after reading this thread and going to check that, it was already on 'never'!
Still, I now have 26 days of non data usage thanks to that widget