Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,275 Members 42,685 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Battery doesn't charge with working cable and port

Tip us?

Sladkoff
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Battery doesn't charge with working cable and port

Hello there people!

Basically this is my first post on here because it's actually the first time that I couldn't find a thread covering the same/similar problem that I'm experiencing...

Here's my issue:

I've got two batteries for my SGS 2, the standard 1650mAh battery and an extended 2000mAh battery (Official Samsung Extended Battery Kit), which I bought about half a year ago, when the stock one started giving me battery life of only few hours.

Yesterday, when my battery died I plugged it into my PC and booted the phone back up immediately without letting it charge even a little bit because I was in a hurry... Since I started using it right away the battery drained faster than it could charge and died within seconds with the screen flickering.

I knew I wasn't really being nice to the battery so I finally let it turned off to charge...
This was when I noticed that it wouldn't charge at all (no charging indicator), though it did seconds before when it was on.

So I tested different USB cables and sockets --> Not charging.
I replaced the battery with the old one that I haven't used in months --> Charging!
These results prove that the charger itself and the USB port of the phone do work and indicate that the issue is with the extended battery.

Now my question is: Can a battery just break so suddenly and if yes, is it fixable and how? I knew a battery can get weaker with age and become useless this way and that the most common reason for a battery to not charge at all are broken components (usb cable or port) but I never knew batteries could suddenly stop working.
Keep in mind the 'broken' battery is relatively new (5 months) in comparison to the old one which was in duty for 2+ years.

Another thought: Maybe it's a problem with the phone, 'not recognizing' the battery after it had its sudden death?

I hope my description was somewhat clear and thank you guys in advance for your help and suggestions!

P.S. Don't know if it's of any help here but I'm running a cm 10.2 nightly (Android 4.3.1)

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
Of course batteries can die like that after a few mths. Manufacturing process isn't always perfect, some of questionable quality will always get through QC. Fix a battery - You're kidding, right ?

I doubt you can get a replacement, most guarantees on phone batteries are 90 days in my experience, but you can certainly go back to the seller & try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladkoff View Post
Now my question is: Can a battery just break so suddenly and if yes, is it fixable and how?
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vivek_Neel
Old
(Last edited by Vivek_Neel; 13th January 2014 at 10:06 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 19,048

DONATE TO ME
May be charging board is the issue?

Sent using VIVELROM_OMNI

cl.kao1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hi guys,

this is my first posting too.

I am using Samsung Galaxy SII I9100G version

I have use odin to flash the stock rom JB 4.1.2

I use the blazing kernel safe mode

past few months the phone is working fine, it will go overheated (when charging sometimes not charging) if i use other version of blazing kernel.

this two days, something strange happen to my phone. it keep on overheating both charging and non charging. i have no idea what goes wrong as i did not flash anything nor change the rom. to charge my phone it takes longer as its burning!

without charging it also burning.

i do not know what to do now, any senior member can lend a hand?