Bell's Galaxy S2 I9100 Bootloader

Search This thread

Tri3Dent

Dec 1, 2008
Hey there,

I got a Bell Galaxy S2 I9100. In Canada, it's I9100M. I have the CWM Backup, the factory firmware and kernel .tar files for ODIN.

Recently, I upgraded my firmware to the new XXKI4 which installed the new bootloader. Now when I get to the Downloading screen, it will show that the product is I9100 and not I9100M which it showed before the upgrade. As well, the bootup screen will say I9100 instead of I9100M.

I tried to do a restore with the CWM backup as well as a firmware flash to the original factory firmware however, the Downloading screen and the bootup screen still shows I9100. From this, I assume that this is because the bootloader was updated to the I9100.

Is there a way for me to restore my bootloader, thus restoring what it was before? The reason I ask is because I bought this phone at Futureshop with a 3 year warranty and I want to restore the phone back to stock as possible.

I do have some friends with the same phone. Is there a way for me to get the bootloader off their phones and restore it to mine?

Thanks in advance!

veyka

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2007
Norfolk
www.veyka.co.uk
Hey there,

I got a Bell Galaxy S2 I9100. In Canada, it's I9100M. I have the CWM Backup, the factory firmware and kernel .tar files for ODIN.

Recently, I upgraded my firmware to the new XXKI4 which installed the new bootloader. Now when I get to the Downloading screen, it will show that the product is I9100 and not I9100M which it showed before the upgrade. As well, the bootup screen will say I9100 instead of I9100M.

I tried to do a restore with the CWM backup as well as a firmware flash to the original factory firmware however, the Downloading screen and the bootup screen still shows I9100. From this, I assume that this is because the bootloader was updated to the I9100.

Is there a way for me to restore my bootloader, thus restoring what it was before? The reason I ask is because I bought this phone at Futureshop with a 3 year warranty and I want to restore the phone back to stock as possible.

I do have some friends with the same phone. Is there a way for me to get the bootloader off their phones and restore it to mine?

Thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure its the rom and not the bootloaders that set the model number, did you make sure you flashed your carrier branded one rather than the generic one?

M

mudferret

If you really want your boot logo to say GT-I9100M you'll have to get the stock param.lfs file. You can use Hellcat's KTool to replace your existing one with the "stock" one.

I'd extract mine for you, but it's long since gone.

Edit: even if you flash your phone back to the stock firmware I don't believe your param.lfs will be restored.

Last edited:

Tri3Dent

Dec 1, 2008
Well the reason why I think it's the bootloader is because the new firmware that I flashed, had the older bootloader replaced because I think intratech changed it so that we can reset the counter.

Also, because the "Download" screen is different. When I had the stock Bell firmware, when getting into the Download screen, it just goes directly to it. Now, when I go to it, it gives me a warning page and that I have to hit the Volume Up to continue or Volume Down to cancel.

Yes, it is the Bell UGKG2 firmware so I know it's the stock firmware and kernel. But still shows the "new" download screen with the warning.

Would replacing the param.lfs file give me back stock Download screen (without warning) and all that?

M

mudferret

The param.lfs is just the boot logo. I haven't been on the stock firmware for quite a while so I can't even picture what it looks like now. Intratech may have access to the original Bell BL (?).

veyka

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2007
Norfolk
www.veyka.co.uk
As far as I know there has only been two sets of GB bootloaders, the old ones that let you reset with the jig, and the new ones that dont.

Your best bet is to post in this thread and ask about the bell bootloaders, and if they exist.

Bujiraso

Apr 24, 2013
Hi there,
I had a similar problem to OP where my bootloader would not allow a jig to reset my custom binary counter
So I flashed the old bootloader which was not specific to the "M" variant of the i9100.
Now I'm stuck at the flashing S logo and the stock ROM won't load.

I'm trying to follow the instructions found here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1457458) to reset my i9100m to stock and am having little luck.

I have another SGS2 which is working well, is there a way to take the bootloader from that and move it on to mine?
I can't seem to find out how people are backing up bootloaders.
I've tried checking "update bootloader" when I flash according to the instructions above and no results.

Any thoughts? Let me know if there's something I can clarify.

Last edited: