XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Benefits of ICS over Gingerbread

Tip us?

THUDUK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Default Benefits of ICS over Gingerbread

I can imagine this may have been asked before, yet I can't find any definitive answers, to what are the benefits to running ICS over Gingerbread at this time?

My PDA/Phone History

Xarpios
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I dont really think there is much right at this moment, due to the ICS being out is so buggy, but i read alot of positive about CM9 which is running ICS - though one major drawback for me is the USB mount doesn't work.

But after playing around with my dads Galaxy Nexus, the diffrence aint gamebreaking. Surely its optimised in other ways, better interface imo - but again, Gingerbread is really great, and i will surely stick to this untill ROM chefs starts to cook roms on stable ICS releases.

Eventually check out my thread where some people are talking about ICS and the benefits from it compared to Gingerbread

javefang
Old
Thanks Meter 6
right, ics is still buggy. but check out some of the very good custom ics roms in the development forum. some of them now are more stable than they previously do. i mean, stable enough for daily use.

apparently ICS has a lot of benefit over GB:

some of the good points:
- smoother ui animation (you'll feel more smoother than GB, also there are more transition animation added)
- improved google apps (gmail, calendar, maps, phone, sms have been redesigned and feels better than current version in GB)
- voice dictation (different from the one in GB, instead of "press-speak-press-speak", now you can keep speaking and the word will come out as you speak)
- face unlock (no need to introduce)
- options to encrypt the phone memory (forget if GB has it)
- some new widgets (some of the custom roms use AOSP apps instead of the samsung one, e.g. the calendar widget looks much better now)
- camera app seems to open faster

some problems:
- usb mass storage not working (may get fixed in the future, but now you can use MTP instead, if you are using windows or mac. linux users can have some problem with that)
- some apps don't work with ICS (most apps work, for the rest we need to wait for update to support ics)
- battery drain issue (there have been several report for battery drain on "Android OS" process, google seems to fix it in 4.0.4, so we just need to wait. currently mine can last over 10h with moderate use)
- remember it's still in alpha/beta stage, so backup your data!

if you are really interested, make a full backup using CWM and try to flash some of the roms. you can always go back to ginger bread by recovering the backup. hope this helps

cyanoviper
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I tried one of the cyanogenmod alpha builds from codeworkx and i had the impression that the menu is cleanear and more tidied up all in all. dont know if thats an ics or a cyanogenmod thing though.
my wireless lan seemed to work better, too

An inched limns
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUDUK View Post
I can imagine this may have been asked before, yet I can't find any definitive answers, to what are the benefits to running ICS over Gingerbread at this time?

After being on ICS Remix 8.6 by Westcrip, I "feel" the browsing, the sliding and most of the navigation on the phone is happening a lot faster.
Before February I felt like my old Gingerbread-thingy by Eskimo i belive... was the nuts. Now its like playing in a other league.
My SG2 feels generally Smoooottthheeeer

My 3 cents

BigMrB
Old
Thanks Meter 121
The taste is better

[ROM][I9505][XXUFNBE]Omega v25 ●►Android 4.4.2◄●►Omega Files◄●

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMrB View Post