Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
right, ics is still buggy. but check out some of the very good custom ics roms in the development forum. some of them now are more stable than they previously do. i mean, stable enough for daily use.
apparently ICS has a lot of benefit over GB:
some of the good points:
- smoother ui animation (you'll feel more smoother than GB, also there are more transition animation added)
- improved google apps (gmail, calendar, maps, phone, sms have been redesigned and feels better than current version in GB)
- voice dictation (different from the one in GB, instead of "press-speak-press-speak", now you can keep speaking and the word will come out as you speak)
- face unlock (no need to introduce)
- options to encrypt the phone memory (forget if GB has it)
- some new widgets (some of the custom roms use AOSP apps instead of the samsung one, e.g. the calendar widget looks much better now)
- camera app seems to open faster
- usb mass storage not working (may get fixed in the future, but now you can use MTP instead, if you are using windows or mac. linux users can have some problem with that)
- some apps don't work with ICS (most apps work, for the rest we need to wait for update to support ics)
- battery drain issue (there have been several report for battery drain on "Android OS" process, google seems to fix it in 4.0.4, so we just need to wait. currently mine can last over 10h with moderate use)
- remember it's still in alpha/beta stage, so backup your data!
if you are really interested, make a full backup using CWM and try to flash some of the roms. you can always go back to ginger bread by recovering the backup. hope this helps