No registration required

[Q] Best stock GB ROM?

OP Xxxdevilxxx

17th April 2012, 07:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

80 posts
Hi,

This might be a stupid question but which is the most stable GB stock ROM available out there as per your opinion? and what is the harm in installing a ROM with different CSC as to yours current?

Does doing a factory reset after installing a ROM, removes all the settings from your old ROM ? as in is it like a format on a PC?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Xxxdevilxxx; 17th April 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: ...
17th April 2012, 07:23 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 904

3,572 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxxdevilxxx

Hi,

This might be a stupid question but which is the most stable GB stock ROM available out there as per your opinion?

This is TOTALLY subjective, as you yourself stated with "as per your opinion", and usually starts a bunch of arguments. Which is why these threads tend to get closed. I expect this one to get closed shortly.
Quote:

and what is the harm in installing a ROM with different CSC as to yours current?

You probably won't get updates via Kies anymore, if you were ever able to in the first place.
Quote:

Does doing a factory reset after installing a ROM, removes every settings from your old ROM ?

A "factory reset" essentially restores the last ROM you flashed to how it was the moment you flashed it.
EDIT to add: to the above factory reset question... it does remove all user installed apps and data too though. So it is KIND OF like a PC format, but not exactly.
Last edited by ctomgee; 17th April 2012 at 07:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ctomgee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 07:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

80 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomgee

This is TOTALLY subjective, as you yourself stated with "as per your opinion", and usually starts a bunch of arguments. Which is why these threads tend to get closed. I expect this one to get closed shortly.

You probably won't get updates via Kies anymore, if you were ever able to in the first place.

A "factory reset" essentially restores the last ROM you flashed to how it was the moment you flashed it.

Hi thanks for the reply. No i don't want to start a long thread of debates what i meant was, is the latest GB 2.3.6 better and more stable than the 2.3.5? The reason i asked about the CSC was coz 2.3.6 is not available for my region so was wondering if it is more stable than 2.3.5 i would upgrade it!

I updated my system to 2.3.5 via kies and all the software & everything else was how it was before I upgraded to it, does kies reinstall the stuff?
Last edited by Xxxdevilxxx; 17th April 2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: ..
17th April 2012, 07:36 PM   |  #4  

3,572 posts
Quote:

Hi thanks for the reply. No i don't want to start a long thread of debates what i meant was, is the latest GB 2.3.6 better and more stable than the 2.3.5? The reason i asked about the CSC was coz 2.3.6 is not available for my region so was wondering if it is more stable than 2.3.5 i would upgrade it!

I'm still on XXKI3, which is 2.3.5. It's perfectly stable for me. CSC only matters if you want releases through Kies. If you want to continue to receive Kies updates, then don't change anything. Otherwise, you can flash whatever CSC you want.

Quote:

I updated my system to 2.3.5 via kies and all the software & everything else was how it was before I upgraded to it, does kies reinstall the stuff?

No. Kies updates are non-wipe, which means it won't touch the data partition, where your apps live.
17th April 2012, 07:39 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4,428

23,044 posts
Quote:

2.3.6 is better and for me still beats ICS by a narrowing margin .

jje
The Following User Says Thank You to JJEgan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 07:44 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

80 posts
Quote:

I'm still on XXKI3, which is 2.3.5. It's perfectly stable for me. CSC only matters if you want releases through Kies. If you want to continue to receive Kies updates, then don't change anything. Otherwise, you can flash whatever CSC you want.

No. Kies updates are non-wipe, which means it won't touch the data partition, where your apps live.

The reason i was asking this was coz today wen i clicked on dialer and and started dialing it got hung-up on blank black screen for a few minutes then proceeded :/ tht kinda got to me..coz it happened twice!..

If i restore the old CSC will I get the Kies update functionality back?
Last edited by Xxxdevilxxx; 17th April 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: ..
17th April 2012, 07:45 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

80 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan

2.3.6 is better and for me still beats ICS by a narrowing margin .

jje

Thanks jje...which GB Rom were u using before 2.3.6? what kinda stability did u feel wen u upgraded?
17th April 2012, 07:47 PM   |  #8  

3,572 posts
Quote:

The reason i was asking this was coz today wen i clicked on dialer and and started dialing it got hung-up blank screen for a few minutes then proceeded :/ tht kinda got to me..coz it happened twice!..

If i restore the old CSC will I get the Kies update functionality back?

Probably.
17th April 2012, 07:53 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

80 posts
Quote:

Probably.

one last question, when flashing a GB stock ROM which is not available in my country via KIES do i need to put the following in ODIN:

The .tar with modem in the name is the phone/baseband bit of the package
.tar with csc/multi-csc in the name is the csc bit of the package
.tar with code/PDA in the name is the PDA part of the firmware package
for that particular ROM? or is there something i shouldn't mess with?
17th April 2012, 08:03 PM   |  #10  
Flag Kuwait
Thanks Meter: 545

1,172 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

one last question, when flashing a GB stock ROM which is not available in my country via KIES do i need to put the following in ODIN:

The .tar with modem in the name is the phone/baseband bit of the package
.tar with csc/multi-csc in the name is the csc bit of the package
.tar with code/PDA in the name is the PDA part of the firmware package
for that particular ROM? or is there something i shouldn't mess with?

no need to worry, any FW package you download should contain these 3 files, to select from respective sections of the ODIN

or all these in a single TAR file to select from PDA.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZACQ8 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread