[Q] Blank Screen when Restoring Stock Backup from CWM

Tip us?

kingstah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Blank Screen when Restoring Stock Backup from CWM

Hi,
following the instructions on cyanogenmod.org, I have flashed CWM (using heimdall), then made a cwm backup of the stock rom, then installed CM10.1.3 stable. Works great.

Now I'm trying to restore my stock backup temporarily because I forgot to export my address book and my text messages (stupid me, I know). Of course, I have made a cwm backup of my CM first.

I wipe everything (factory reset in cwm), then restore my stock backup in cwm, and it goes through smoothly. However, when I reboot, after the Samsung logo there's the boot sound, and the screen goes blank completely. Nothing happens after that.

I can reboot (hold down power button forever), go back to cwm, and restore my CM backup, and everything works perfectly again. But I can't get my stock backup to work.

Can anyone help? Or is there a way to find the address book or text messages in the cwm backup files manually?
Thanks!

kingstah

andrewwright
Old
Thanks Meter 2376
What firmware was you on? What's you're nandroid bkup firmware?

kingstah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwright View Post
What firmware was you on? What's you're nandroid bkup firmware?
You mean Android version? I believe stock was 4.04 (official OTA update quiet some time ago), the cwm Version is 6.06, I think. And CM10.1is Android 4.1.

andrewwright
Old
Thanks Meter 2376
Best thing you can to get it running is flash stock with Odin and forget about 4.0.4 nandroid. You see the 4.0.4 firmware has a bug which may brick you're phone. Don't factory reset whatever you do. Can you not mount as USB is recovery and get the data that way.?

kingstah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwright View Post
Best thing you can to get it running is flash stock with Odin and forget about 4.0.4 nandroid. You see the 4.0.4 firmware has a bug which may brick you're phone. Don't factory reset whatever you do. Can you not mount as USB is recovery and get the data that way.?
Sorry, I just checked again, cwm is this, so JB 6.0.2.9:

http://cmw.cmfs.me/c1/recovery/GT-I9...ry_6.0.2.9.tar

Regarding Android stock version, I'm not sure if it's 4.0.4 or 4.1.

I can access the nand backup easily, it is on the external SD - is it possible to get the address book out of the nand directly?
Thanks so much...

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1078
I'd concentrate on getting the phone up and running first as once you have a working phone, the options for recovering ur data get that much easier......example....I believe you can use titanium backup to retrieve data from nandroids.......
And as @andrewwright says.....stay away from 4.0.4

This might be my S2, or it might be my W...but it's definitely CM
The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kingstah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Got it. What I did was

0) Make a complete cwm nandroid backup.

1) Restore only the /data partition of my old cwm nandroid backup using cwm, then stay in cwm recovery and copy my old contacts database to my computer:
Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db
2) Use the dump-contacts2db script from the awesome project at https://github.com/stachre/dump-contacts2db to dump a vcf file from contacts2.db.

3) Restore the cwm nandroid backup made in 0).

4) Copy the vcf file to my phone and import it in contacts.

I found awesome advice here: http://android.stackexchange.com/que...nandroid-image
and here: http://www.droidwiki.de/Datenwiederherstellung#Kontakte
The Following User Says Thank You to kingstah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andrewwright
Old
Thanks Meter 2376
Nice work and great feed back. Add solved to thread title. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Tags
[cwm] [cm10.2] [restore]