Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,167 Members 44,553 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Boot Loop after install a new Rom

Tip us?

dadmcleader
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Boot Loop after install a new Rom

Before one month ago a strange problem appeared.i flashed different roms and kernels but a few days later after a complete dischargeof the battery when I completely charged my phone with the charger it tried to reboot and it didn't pass the boot screen.This problem was solved only with a full wipe and a reflash of a rom.But if I try to use the charger instead of pc to charge my phone or if I complete discharge it sometimes It will not boot.i tried a lot of different roms and kernels without success .any ideas what causing this problem?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmcleader View Post
Before one month ago a strange problem appeared.i flashed different roms and kernels but a few days later after a complete dischargeof the battery when I completely charged my phone with the charger it tried to reboot and it didn't pass the boot screen.This problem was solved only with a full wipe and a reflash of a rom.But if I try to use the charger instead of pc to charge my phone or if I complete discharge it sometimes It will not boot.i tried a lot of different roms and kernels without success .any ideas what causing this problem?

Probably the USB board/port. KeithRoss39 has a guide in General (not stickied; search for 'replace USB charger board') which will enable you to replace it yourself quickly/easily/cheaply (<US$15).
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bashar Jarad
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmcleader View Post
my friend what is the rom now you are using?
if it is based on cm try stock roms
if it is not then i think the problem is from your charger .. try someone else .
you can also try wipe battery statue from recovery
Good luck
Smartphone : Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
Android Version : 4.4.4
Rom :AOSB Project VS SOKP
Kernel : Stock Kernal
Launcher : TSF Shell VS Next Launcher
Keyboard : A.I.Type Keyboard VS TouchPal X

My Threads :
[SoundPacks]Change your phone sounds with one click !!!

dadmcleader
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Probably the USB board/port. KeithRoss39 has a guide in General (not stickied; search for 'replace USB charger board') which will enable you to replace it yourself quickly/easily/cheaply (<US$15).
Ok thank you very much for your answer.Do you think that it could be the charger instead of usb board/port because it seems that if i try to charge it via usb cable from pc or if i try another charger it will boot normaly but the problem is that i don't know for sure because i only use my charger when the phone is completely discharged (turned off) ,i usually have my phone connected to pc all the time,so i also suspect that it may be the reboot that causes the phone to boot loop and it may be not connected to the charging proccess at all.What is your opinion ?
Also is there any way to test my usb board/port to see if it working correctly before replacing it ?

dadmcleader
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar Jarad View Post
my friend what is the rom now you are using?
if it is based on cm try stock roms
if it is not then i think the problem is from your charger .. try someone else .
you can also try wipe battery statue from recovery
Good luck
I tried both stock and aosp roms but with no luck.
I tried different chargers but the problem doesn't appear every single time so i don't know for sure if the problem is from my charger.Sometimes it boots normaly with mine too.
I didn't try to wipe battery stats from recovery but how it could be useful ?I couldn't find a lot info for that...

thanks

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Might be the charger, so try a new one if you like. But don't be surprised if you end up having to replace the USB board after. The issues you described with booting/not booting sound like symptoms of the USB board on the fritz.

When the boards start dying, they rarely stop working completely (at least initially), and often show a couple of faults, but work OK in other ways (might be able to transfer data OK but can't charge as an example, and so on).

As a test, do a completely clean install of stock & test it for a few days, if you see the same thing, it's fairly likely the hardware fault. Up to you which way you want to go in that case, but I'd be replacing the board.

Edit - In light of your post just now which crossed with my reply, it's definitely the USB board. You've tried different chargers, you've tried stock, that seals the deal as far as I'm concerned. Put it this way, if it's not the board, it's something else hardware-wise.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dadmcleader
Old
(Last edited by dadmcleader; 17th April 2014 at 07:17 PM.) Reason: incomplete reply
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Might be the charger, so try a new one if you like. But don't be surprised if you end up having to replace the USB board after. The issues you described with booting/not booting sound like symptoms of the USB board on the fritz.

When the boards start dying, they rarely stop working completely (at least initially), and often show a couple of faults, but work OK in other ways (might be able to transfer data OK but can't charge as an example, and so on).

As a test, do a completely clean install of stock & test it for a few days, if you see the same thing, it's fairly likely the hardware fault. Up to you which way you want to go in that case, but I'd be replacing the board.

Edit - In light of your post just now which crossed with my reply, it's definitely the USB board. You've tried different chargers, you've tried stock, that seals the deal as far as I'm concerned. Put it this way, if it's not the board, it's something else hardware-wise.
Ok i will start testing then and replace the usb board if needed.Another thing that confuse me is why the phone boots with a full wipe and re-install of a rom ?Also in what way the USB board can affect the booting proccess?

EDIT :I am not experienced with smartphone hardware so i need some info...

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1190
I don't think that anybody outside of Samsung themselves would be able to tell you why one of their phones acts the way it does.....they know their hardware and the way software interacts with it in a way that nobody else can.
All I know is that I've handled TWO S2's with faulty USB ports, and they have exhibited various symptoms as a result.......
1) phone displayed charging icon even if it wasn't plugged in.
2) phone NOT charging even though it WAS plugged in.
3) PC/Laptop not recognising phone when USB connected.
4) phone randomly shut down.
5) phone would not boot unless boot option in CWM selected.......
I could go on, but you probably get the picture.
These issues stopped occurring on both devices as soon as I'd replaced the USB assembly......
Choice is yours fella, but I know what I'd be doing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]