Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,676 Members 51,759 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S2 i9100 won't root

Tip us?

spajo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Galaxy S2 i9100 won't root

Hi,

I am trying to flash my S2 using Odin, and no matter what I try I always get the same result.
It doesn't work.
The phone will go in to the mod where I press the volume down button, home and power, but if I try to press up, home and power notkinh happens.
It all started a few days a go when it started getting stuck in a loop, just showing samsung mobile logo and it won't go further than that.
When I start Odin, it recognises the device, starts normally, and then it says Complete(Write) operation failed.
I've attached a screenshot, please help if you can.
If I try adding the pit file then the situation in the second picture happens, it goes on and on and on..

thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s2-root.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2612590   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2-root1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	2612591  

andrewwright
Old
Thanks Meter 2811
Siyah for s3!!!!!!!! Not s2 .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewwright For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spajo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwright View Post
Siyah for s3!!!!!!!! Not s2 .

ok, thank you, i also have speedmod, do i use the pit file as well? or without it?
the problem is i can't go into recovery mode to install new firmware so first i guess i have to flash it with odin
i have tried using every frickin guide there is if you know of one that has all the steps and all the files for download in one place, and explained like to an idiot I would be very grateful

hansonchen
Old
Thanks Meter 53
You tried to flash an s3 kernal. There's an s2 kernel, check everything before flashing. You are lucky the phone didn't bricked.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to hansonchen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spajo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansonchen View Post
You tried to flash an s3 kernal. There's an s2 kernel, check everything before flashing. You are lucky the phone didn't bricked.

when i try with speedmod kernell and a .pit file it writes: NAND write start and goes on for 20 minutes now, how long is this supposed to last?
preview in the attachement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s2-root2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	2612623  

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Not that long. You may well have borked it.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spajo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Not that long. You may well have borked it.
borked?
it would get stuck in a loop showing just the samsung logo before, so i have not moved far from that, since it was unusable before as well
can you help? any tips?

hansonchen
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by spajo View Post
borked?
it would get stuck in a loop showing just the samsung logo before, so i have not moved far from that, since it was unusable before as well
can you help? any tips?
Check if you have kies running in the background. Kill any instant of kies. Or some software such as bluestacks.

Then try again. It takes only less than 1 minute or so for kernal flashing

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

One more thing, are you sure yours is i9100 or i9100G?

The Following User Says Thank You to hansonchen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1183
Search for @Hopper8s guide "troubleshooting a failed Odin flash".
It's stickey'd in the S2 general section.......
It has ALL the info (and resources/links/downloads) clearly laid out, that you could ever possibly need to restore your S2 to life........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andrewwright
Old
(Last edited by andrewwright; 4th March 2014 at 09:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2811
Quote:
Originally Posted by spajo View Post
borked?
can you help? any tips?
Flash 4.1.2 stock with Odin. See if it boots up. If not factory reset in recovery and see if it boots. For root flash philz kernel either in stock recovery or with Odin. Like its been pointed out by mb...you will be lucky if you haven't damaged it beyond "flashing something to fix it" repair.
Also why are you using a pit file??!??!?