XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cf-Root version selection?

Tip us?

CqN
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cf-Root version selection?

Though I have posted here many years ago, please treat me as a newbie now. I am not allowed to post on the developers threads since I have not been active here for a long time.

I have a Samasung Galaxy S2 w/ Android 2.3.4. I would like to add Cf-Root so that I can manually upgrade to the newest available version of Android.

1. My kernel version is 2.6.35.7-I9100 XXKH3-CL479037.

I see there are two KH versions of Cf-Root:

"XX_OXA_KH3: Untested (by me) (thx to robbielicious for the stock kernel)
XX_XEU_KH4: Tested"

Which one is better for my phone? Is there any advantage in using the KH4 which was tested by the maker, over the exact match KH3, not tested?

2. Could you please provide a link (to a reliable download site) for the latest android version? The sites that were in the original post appears to have been shut down.

immortalneo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CqN View Post
I have a Samasung Galaxy S2 w/ Android 2.3.4. I would like to add Cf-Root so that I can manually upgrade to the newest available version of Android.

2. Could you please provide a link (to a reliable download site) for the latest android version? The sites that were in the original post appears to have been shut down.
You don't need to root to upgrade to the latest version mate (if you're talking about the latest stock JB firmware). You can simply download the firmware from www.sammobile.com or www.samsung-updates.com, and then flash it using Odin.

Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 | ROM: Omega v23 - XWLSN - 4.1.2 | Theme: Crussader's JB Reloaded v1.07 | Kernel: PhilZ v4.93.6 | Baseband: I9100DDLS9
Life's kinda busy. So you won't be seeing much of me. Still I'm available via PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to immortalneo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sun90
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by CqN View Post
Though I have posted here many years ago, please treat me as a newbie now. I am not allowed to post on the developers threads since I have not been active here for a long time.

1. My kernel version is 2.6.35.7-I9100 XXKH3-CL479037.

I see there are two KH versions of Cf-Root:

"XX_OXA_KH3: Untested (by me) (thx to robbielicious for the stock kernel)
XX_XEU_KH4: Tested"

Which one is better for my phone? Is there any advantage in using the KH4 which was tested by the maker, over the exact match KH3, not tested?

the advantage of using KH4 is that its already tested and proven wrk'ng. U can always visit WWW.SAMMOBILE.COM for the latest available android version for ur S2.
"Knowledge Stays Fresh if Shared else Rots"
Please:

immortalneo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1560
I believe sammobile.com should be left out. Because most of their firmwares are on hotfile. From what I know, hotfile is currently facing some issues.
Instead try out androidfirmwares.net for now.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine."
Sent from my SGS II

Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 | ROM: Omega v23 - XWLSN - 4.1.2 | Theme: Crussader's JB Reloaded v1.07 | Kernel: PhilZ v4.93.6 | Baseband: I9100DDLS9
Life's kinda busy. So you won't be seeing much of me. Still I'm available via PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortalneo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CqN
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalneo View Post
You don't need to root to upgrade to the latest version mate (if you're talking about the latest stock JB firmware).
immortaineo, Thank you.

I did install Odin, and then ended up adding Cf-Root. I like the CWM back up that came with it.

Now I am going to get from samsung-updates.com 4.1.2 TPA region (matching my current 2.3.4 region). I understand the procedure to update to the new version using Odin. But I have read somewhere that "an Android Jelly Bean Kernel must be flashed before installing any other Android Jelly Bean ROM".

A. Is the above about having to update the kernel first true? If so, from where do I get the Android Jelly Bean Kernel?

B. When I update the ROM, (assuming I can update from my current cf-root kernel) will the Kernel get modified, or I will continue to have my current CF-Root modified kernel?

C. Can I go straight to 4.3 Rom update, skipping the update to 4.1.2?

theunderling
Old
Thanks Meter 749

DONATE TO ME
You should be reading a lot more before fladhing anything,as you dont yet know the basics.Youll end up in the soup.

Have a quick look through some of the custom roms,as the developer tells you what you need to be on/to do.You only need to read the 1st couple of posts.

Have you done efs/nand backups yet lol.....
The Following User Says Thank You to theunderling For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

immortalneo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1560
You've got things all confused and complicated mate. Let me clear things up with these simple rules:

1. Flashing a stock rom using Odin doesn't require root. Also, it will replace your current kernel (and recovery) with a new one. It wouls also unroot your device.

2. Installing or updating a custom ROM will replace your current kernel (and recovery) with the one included in the ROM. Since most custom ROMs are rooted, root will not be lost.

3. You can flash any compatible stock rom via Odin or custom ROM via CWM irrespective of your current ROM (as long as you do a proper full wipe). Some custom ROMs may require newer versions of CWM though.

Now.. answers to ur questions:
A. That is not true for flashing stock rom via odin.

B. Your kernel will be replaced by the one in the ROM.

C. Yes, you can. Make sure to do a full wipe and follow any other instructions given by the ROM'S dev.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine."
Sent from my SGS II